Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #121
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
homegrowngarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Custom bracket for the windshield washer bottle.
The filler neck won't be on the entire time.

Corbeau forza sport seat along with some street faction seat rails.

NRG short hub / quick release with a white leather grip royal wheel.

homegrowngarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #122
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Head lights all put together and painted.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #123
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

IT'S TIME!
The motor is ready to go in.

Wiper motor and brake master cylinder put in.

We made sure to cover the entire bay to avoid scratching it and fucking up all our hard work.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #124
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

IT'S IN!

Then we hooked up our chase bays brake lines.

Also picked up a new clutch master cylinder. $20 at autozone, no joke.

Fitted the power steering reservoir.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #125
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Hooking up the push button start and the HUD.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #126
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

All together. Well mostly together.

We forgot to paint the center piece under the lights. Oh well, we'll get to it in the spring.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #127
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

It still has some issues but it does run and drive....and looks like a bone stock 240sx.
Now it's time to start the real build!

We plan on redoing some of the wiring and making a new switch panel for the center console and some sort of glove box delete that will include fuse blocks or something of the sorts. Then it's time to get some actual mods such as control arms, new coilovers and wheels and tires and build a new exhaust. And I need to fix the bottom of the fender and a whole lot of odds and ends.
It's been quite a journey to get to this point and I can't wait to see what the future holds. Should be good, right?
-Brennan

Homegrown Garage

Old 12-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #128
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I hate hatches BUT... thanks for that nifty idea of putting the washer fluid in the back, you are a effing genus!!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #129
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
I hate hatches BUT... thanks for that nifty idea of putting the washer fluid in the back, you are a effing genus!!!
It was super easy too, I just made a little bracket out of out aluminum bar.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #130
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Been awhile since the last update. At the end of the the summer we were still dealing with some minor issues like idling, seized calipers and other stuff. To make a long story short, I ending up taking the car around the block with no coolant in it, and as I pulled back in the driveway I popped the headgasket.

Now being that we were leaving for school we decided to just leave the car and fix it later in the year when we came back. But we made the shitty mistake of leaving the oil/coolant/frosty mixture in the motor..... for 9 months!

Fast-forward to May 2017 when we think we're just a quick gasket change away from driving the car and we discover this mess.

The lobes of the camshafts were rusted from water condensing on top of them over the months, and everything was covered in thick sticky milkshake. Time to dig in and fix it.

Our friend Adam helping us out while pulling the motor back out.

Cams out. Notice the rust in the head.

Hating life

We ended up completely stripping the motor down to the bare short block and getting a case of brake cleaner and cleaning the goo off. We figured it would be worth a shot, if the motor blows then we'll just pick another one up. Since there's a lot of small nooks in the head we took it to a car wash and power-washed the hell out of it lol.

Pouring fresh oil on the bearings after brake cleaning the block. Worked surprisingly well, we got just about all of it out. We got cheap conventional oil from Walmart and planned on putting a few miles on the motor and then changing it.

Cleaned and ready for assembly

Reassembly

Also did new gaskets on the motor, and a front main seal.

Not pictured was the frustration of stripping the threads on the idler gear sprocket for the timing chains, which resulted in $50 wasted on a helicoil kit. Also we needed new cams, and our friend had an s14 KA laying around which we picked up in exchange for a case of miller lite. (Thanks Logan!) This did mean that the new cams are now 232 degrees which is a little smaller than the s13 cams, but I can't complain. - Jordan

Last edited by homegrowngarage; 07-14-2017 at 11:55 PM..
Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #131
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Next up on the list was the brake seizing issue. We replaced the calipers in the front, as well as the master cylinder and it was still applying pressure all the time. We later found the issue to be the brake booster pin was threaded out a little too far so it was always pushing on the brakes even when I wasn't pushing the pedal. A quick adjustment and the brakes were finally good to go!

Next issue was the clutch pedal losing pressure and not returning after depressing. That issue was the slave cylinder being bad, so we slapped another one in and that was finally fixed as well. So everything brake/clutch related on the car is now completely brand new.

Since memorial day was coming up, we decided to order the ISR catback exhaust off Enjuku Racing. A few days later when the box arrives I open it up to find this:

The tip was pushed in and the rest of the system had at least 5 major dents in it. Enjuku was really good about it and got a new one shipped out pretty quick, which we really appreciate. The quality of the welds and overall construction is really good as well, but the muffler canister is fucking huge, it looks pretty ridiculous honestly.

Side by side of the new system and our old $20 exhaust.

Last edited by homegrowngarage; 07-14-2017 at 11:56 PM..
Old 07-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #132
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Finally the car is together and running, and I immediately took it on it's maiden voyage 120 miles away to my friend's place for a party. To celebrate for his birthday, I was pressured into doing a tandem burnout with his fd rx-7 which was alot of fun.

First burnout was a success!

Both cars lined up together. His has a single Borg-Warner turbo making 348whp. Mine is only a few hp behind that...

Unfortunately, (or fortunately) I chewed through the old shitty tires we had on the car, so it was time for a new set. I check the dates on the old tires and they were 11 years old!

New rubber, decent tires on amazon that should hold us over for now.

Last edited by homegrowngarage; 07-16-2017 at 08:47 AM..
Old 07-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #133
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Went to the local junk yard which had an s13 hatch that was beat. Scored a carpet in pretty good condition for $5!

Also took a chance on some no-name eBay coilovers. They were $80 and as anyone could have probably guessed they were blown and seized to shit. Oh well, was able to sell them and get almost all our money back.

This is how it currently sits on Tanabe Racing coils, low in the back but still too high up front.

-Jordan
Old 11-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #134
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

It's been awhile... We still have the car and it is still running! We've just been driving it around and working on other projects. We forgot to take pictures of a lot of the little stuff that was don, but honestly nothing major has really happened.

Over the summer we got new speakers up front. Cool I know right?

And we also got some ISR pro rear control arms and got a proper alignment.
It also got inspected for the second time and it passed with flying colors.

We got all the arms, I just only took pics of these two.

My friend also backed into the quarter panel with his truck.
SIIIIIIIICK

Old 11-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #135
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

After 4 long years we finally took the s13 drifting. It was a blast and we had zero issues the whole time.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #136
Super_OK_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Super_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud of
Glad to see/hear this car is still around and looks like fun sliding!!!
Super_OK_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #137
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

It's been about 2 years since I've we've updated this thread. With forums slowly dying off it's hard to remember to come back and update a random build thread that you created a couple years ago. I like the idea of build threads and going back through them to look at all the progress that has happened over the years.
Over the past two years life has kind of gotten in the way but the 240 is still here and we have been working on it when we have the chance.

In March of 2019 we moved into our first shop. It was finally nice to have a place of our own. That shop had its ups and downs. And a lot of great stories.

We pulled the trigger on a 5 lug swap and some work vsxx's. They're not perfect and one of the lips is slightly bent, but for now, they'll do.
Also they're gold... yuck

Next up... some sick aero.
We test fitted it once and thought it looked like shit. Sold it and made more money than we paid. Sometimes we come out on top.

After finding a ton of rust in our barely used "ebay" radiator we decided to ball out a little bit and got and entire mishimoto set up. Radiator, fan shroud and fans. Super happy with this purchase.

Last edited by homegrowngarage; 02-23-2020 at 06:53 PM..
Old 02-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #138
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Another big purchase was some front and rear bash bars from Streetfaction.
They had an independence day sale with free shipping (woohoo America!) We saved something like $300 on the total, but it took 4ish months for them to arrive. Which is fine because our 240 has been an immovable metal object for too long at this point.

The biggest and most time consuming reason the car has been a giant paper weight is because we decided to completely rewire the entire chassis and engine harness. A daunting task for many, but who doesn't like a challenge. My brother also incredible when it comes to wiring. We each have our skills that we bring to the table.

We're using mil-spec connectors that will be running through the firewall to create a "quick connect" system for the engine harness.

Everything has been depinned and individually loomed with nylon wrap and heat shrink.

A lot of wires have been deleted and everything is now rerouted to a custom panel relay/fuse panel under the dash.

(This photos a little old so it's a bit more tidy under there now)
Old 02-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #139
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Some other cool odds and ends is that my brother got a 3D printer.

He made these little extender piece to go on the lock cylinder to make it flush with the kouki tails.

Oh yeah we got kouki tails. And I'm in love with them.

This is the only pic I have of them lol. Trust me they're on there.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #140
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

This coolant temp sensor has seen better days.

After a quick run in with some ebay aero we decided to go oem+ with a type x bumper. Super excited about this piece. Some dorki dori or even rep type x skirts and rep type x rear spats are going to complete the look.

Another long over due upgrade were some new coilovers.
For the past couple years we have been rocking some ancient tanabe sustec pro coilovers that I bought second hand for $300.
We upgraded to BC's. The front still doesn't go low enough so that is something to take care of in the future.

In October of 2019 we moved into a new shop that was bigger and a lot closer to where we live.
Here's some photos of the old shop. It was fun it lasted.

A lot has happened in the past couple years and among all our other projects the 240 is still getting some love. This upcoming summer the plan is to drive the car...A LOT. Next winter we have some new ideas floating around for this chassis and some new skills that'd we'd like to learn. Also the itch to buy a second 240 is growing every day...
Old 02-24-2020, 05:11 AM   #141
Jens

Jens is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice to see that the build never died! Going OEM+ is the best way!
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #142
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Make build threads great again! Glad to see y'all still pushing forward with this project
Old 02-26-2020, 01:21 AM   #143
ingmar F
Zilvia Member

ingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the rough
super clean build! nice to see you are still going on!
ingmar F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:21 AM   #144
austinth0rnt0n

austinth0rnt0n is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome work guys! love to see the forums getting some use again, keep it up!
austinth0rnt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #145
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Just read this from front to back. I'm also from Allentown, graduated from Temple (I may or may not be the person collegekid was referring to a few pages back), and attend pretty much every Evergreen event. Excited to see some proper 180 style around these parts.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote