Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Denisko

Trader Rating: (0)
Denisko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Engine oil cooler vs oil circulation pump+tank/cooler

Hi guys!
This is my first forum for many years! Only recently i finally got my first s-chassis with redtop swapped.

I have read few threads about oil coolers somewhere around dated few years back.
Never saw mentioning of idea used for differential coolers.
Oil pan to be connected into closed loop with external additional oil pump(low pressure) to pump oil to oil cooler(even expansion tank) and return it back to pan.
Components location can be changed accordingly to geometry/location of components.
I would really like to hear you opinions and thoughts on locations for each component since im not much familiar with car yet.
Example:
Engine Oil Pan -> electric oil pump -> oil radiator -> [expansion tank] -> back to Engine oil pan.

As benefits i can see:
- reliability increase
because you do not interfere with factory oil system while fail of additional low pressure loop way less probable than high pressure. and fail of your additional components will not affect engine/easy fixable on track. Additional oil capacity will be used by engine to extend death time if oil pressure lost.
- ability to control(turn on/off) additional cooling from switch or automatic controller(like a fan switch) to speed up warm up.
- temperature shock in colder climate when oil thermostat opens totally eliminated
- oil drain/replacement can be done completely in one round by using electric pump.

Cons:
-looking forward to hear from you

All components can be bought on ebay for price of cheap oil cooler kit
(cheap electric pump $60+. only option i found that no around 200).
Drain plug can be used as oil inlet. Only mod it might need oil return bore to oil sump.
Technically it can be routed to turbo return bore for bolt on installation while greddy pan owners have second bore available. Is it used for oil temp sensor?

Thank you for reading and have a great weekend!
Denisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
terrible idea. You dont want to add extra pumps or lines that are not necessary. it REDUCES reliability.

You use an oil cooler w/ t-stat and a fan you set precisely. Get one with a slow rate of bypass so there is no shock.

For road racing, courses that cause G-forces to reduce oil control, you install an accumulator. Something to increase or hold oil pressure when it drops for a moment.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
More stuff to go wrong on the most important system.
Seems like a great idea.
Cheap eBay parts, wow, icing on the cake.

Extra volume won't do squat without pressure.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
You use an oil cooler w/ t-stat and a fan you set precisely. Get one with a slow rate of bypass so there is no shock.
Are there options other than the GReddy thermostatic sandwich adapter?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
Denisko

this is Additional pump im talking about, failure of which will not affect factory oil system.
its like having even more bigger oil pan.
and you may get 200 bucks pump wich will not fail instead of ebay stuff.

what i dont like is adding extra 10ft of high pressure lines and pressurized cooler for your old (factory) oil pump that what sounds less reliable. yes this more effective cooling of oil but in general looks like no many people understand that oil temp should be around that 120C to get best performance.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
Denisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Are there options other than the GReddy thermostatic sandwich adapter?
please into other topic.
they all have small amount of bypass. i would go with mishimoto. they have replaceable thermostats separately with different temp setting.