Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
liquidchicken
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
liquidchicken is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s14 Maybe Not The Right Area, But Help Me Understand Paperwork

hey all, so i know this might not be the best area for this but i couldnt find like a "legal" section or something like that for this... Im about to go buy a car hopefully, went to check it out today and am going back with a friend in the next couple days so he can look at it.... If i buy it, how do i do the paperwork to get it home? i understand (i think) that he needs to fill out all his info on the title and put the mileage on it, but how do i drive it home? is there some special paperwork to be able to drive it home even though its not registered to me yet? The guy lives about an hour away from me and the road i have to take is filled with cops, so im 99% certain id get sniped if i didnt have a plate...
liquidchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2017, 01:32 AM   #2
Zenkilove490
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Zenkilove490 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is what you do. Do not buy the car. Stay home that way cops cant get you and saves your friend a trip.
Zenkilove490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidchicken View Post
hey all, so i know this might not be the best area for this but i couldnt find like a "legal" section or something like that for this... Im about to go buy a car hopefully, went to check it out today and am going back with a friend in the next couple days so he can look at it.... If i buy it, how do i do the paperwork to get it home? i understand (i think) that he needs to fill out all his info on the title and put the mileage on it, but how do i drive it home? is there some special paperwork to be able to drive it home even though its not registered to me yet? The guy lives about an hour away from me and the road i have to take is filled with cops, so im 99% certain id get sniped if i didn't have a plate...
Contact your county DMV and they will give you/tell you what you need. In Denver you have 48 hours from the timestamp on your Bill of Sale to drive the car to the DMV to get Temp/Regular plates. Some insurance companies give you the same 48H window if you are already on their plan with another vehicle.

Don't take this as fact, call your DMV and your insurance company.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
Nubs
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Nubs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm in rural Colorado and my insurance company, State Farm, temporarily insures the vehicle for 2 weeks from the purchase date. I've driven every car I've owned an hour and a half, passed multiple staters on my way home and never once pulled over.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk
Nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Best option is to tow it home. Another option is to put temporary plates on it. Check your state's DMV office to see what's required for temp tags on private sales. I think in VA it was something I could fill out and print online. In MD I had to bring the title like I was registering it and they gave me actual license plates that expired in a month.

Probably not the most "legal" option, but put plates from a car you already own on there to drive it home.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote