Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-24-2007, 12:53 AM   #61
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Anyone else lose all tweeter noise with the window open? I'm sure its more the wind noise interfering than anything but is there anyway to compensate for that with a different tweeter placement? The other thing I wanna do is move my rear speakers off the deck and onto the rear side trim for more sound quality
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #62
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonx240 View Post

i got to many insults before, but now i am tough enought to handle that, feel free,( =R..fosgate power, dawm sweet...at least, this is the speaker set up. forum....
You didn't show your speaker setup AT ALL. And btw your harness setup is unsafe as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cc0rd View Post
... I want to upgrade the component set up front to the CDT set and swap out my subs for a single 10 or 12".. I have no trunk space. and I have my subs pointed up because with the little space I have, it was the only way to fit it all... I regret going with 2 12"s...

Any recommedation for a single 10 or 12" in a sealed box and a 4 channel amp that can run a component set and the sub?
Read my post! I have exactly what you're looking to upgrade to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98koukile View Post
Anyone else lose all tweeter noise with the window open? I'm sure its more the wind noise interfering than anything but is there anyway to compensate for that with a different tweeter placement? The other thing I wanna do is move my rear speakers off the deck and onto the rear side trim for more sound quality
Yeah I run a home-audio/stereophile quality potentiometer up front (under my seat bracket) wired into the tweeter leads, after the crossover. My crossovers have a -0db "main tweeter" output meant for tweeter placed off-axis to the listener, and a -6db "image tweeter" output for tweeters placed on-axis... since mine are +- 5* off axis, I would normally run the tweets on the "image" output, but with the pot on there, I can run them on the "main" output for when the windows are down (and only turn the pot down about 10% for optimal tweeter volume), then when I roll the windows up, I turn it down even more. Works great Another suggestion from Devin Oliver @ Audio Advice in La Crescenta.

Seriously, PM me if anyone's interested in getting a good sound system put together - I love SQ setups!!!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #63
Cash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Cash
Pioneer AVIC D1 navi head unit

Infiniti reference 6.5 speakers

Alpine R12 sub with alpine amp

walmart sub enclosure
Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #64
nani
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
nani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is the difference between an open sub box and a sealed one?
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #65
kernel
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
kernel is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Kenwood Excelon HU *might change it soon*

CDT ES-650 6.5" Components speakers
Nakamichi PA-2100 for speakers

Alpine Type-S 12" Sub w/ sealed box
JL Audio E1400 for subs

kinda basic but sounds very good.
kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #66
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
What is the difference between an open sub box and a sealed one?
Open sub box, meaning free-air mount? Or open sub box meaning vented/ported?

Subs work based off air pressure - a magnet energizes a coil, moving the cone, changing the air pressure in front and behind that cone, making sound. The speaker is brought back to rest by the "suspension", meaning the rubber surround. Still with me?

Most speakers have more powerful voice coils than suspension, so they need the surrounding air to help hold the cone in the magnetic gap for optimum performance. Almost there...

Free air (or infinite baffle, as it's sometimes called) is where you mount the speaker with no enclosure, and therefore no suspension help from the air. This is fine for small drivers (tweeters, midrange, small subs) but doesn't work well when you want to play low. Don't free-air mount your sub.

A sealed box uses the air behind the speaker as a spring, making it less efficient, but allowing a smaller amount of air to do more "suspending"... i.e. smaller box size. Also, its kind of foolproof (just about any shape works, as long as the volume of air in the box is somewhere near correct).

A ported (or vented) box works on the principle that the speaker makes sound in front and behind the cone, so why waste the sound energy behind the cone by muffling it in a sealed space? You still need the air to act as suspension, though, so what you do is make a small hole that lets a specific volume of air work as suspension, while still allowing certain frequencies of sound waves behind the speaker to exit the box - the center of the frequency range is the tuning frequency of the box. Naturally, these boxes are more complicated, but are ALWAYS more efficient (more volume with less power) and almost always sound better.

Bandpass boxes are just ported boxes with another tuned/ported enclosure attached to the front of the speaker. More efficient still, but not as acoustically pleasing. dB drag pros use bandpass. SQ pros use vented/ported.

Edit: Here's a pic of my last ported enclosure for my SQ system in the 240. Soundstream Reference 10" (from back when Reference meant Audiophile) and a tiny Class A/AB hybrid (A on the hot side) Soundstream amp... note the sanded smooth ABS pipe, and shape of the box (wide, so the pipe/port has adequate clearance on the inside).

I hope people are bookmarking this, it's good shit.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #67
gmarzan
Leaky Injector

gmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of lightgmarzan is a glorious beacon of light
Clarion double din HU with 6.75 Bose rears and 5.25 Bose fronts/tweeters with Bose amplifier taken from a Q45. Wiring the amp was not that hard since I have the fsm for both cars and i'm an EE. The Bose system was free, so why not.
gmarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #68
bo2o
Zilvia FREAK!

bo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfection
headunit: alpine cda9857
front speakers: boston acoustics z6 components
amp: elemental designs nine.2x

^^^click^^^
bo2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #69
sillydrift
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
sillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond reputesillydrift has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sillydrift
i have pioneer DEH7700 headunit and polk db components in the front powered by a 2 channel audiobahn amp and polk db coaxials in the rear, good bass response and no need for a sub

sillydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:09 AM   #70
carbonx240
Zilvia Member

carbonx240 has a spectacular aura aboutcarbonx240 has a spectacular aura aboutcarbonx240 has a spectacular aura aboutcarbonx240 has a spectacular aura aboutcarbonx240 has a spectacular aura aboutcarbonx240 has a spectacular aura aboutcarbonx240 has a spectacular aura about
grsxjjornad....nice job
carbonx240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #71
ohsoslo

ohsoslo is making a name for him/her selfohsoslo is making a name for him/her self
eclipse cd4000 head unit and boston s series speakers front/back....i live out of town and would go crazy without music, otherwise i would have thrown it all out a long time ago.
ohsoslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #72
SicKesT

SicKesT is an unknown quantity at this point
i wanted to know how shallow your speakers really have to be for a s13 hatch in the door. I was probably gunna go with alpine spr-17c and some infinity kappa 62.7i. I was just wondering if you guys had anything to warn me about or could tell if these might be too thick, i heard if the speakers in the door are too thick you can't roll down the window all the way. Any advice?

SicKesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #73
SicKesT

SicKesT is an unknown quantity at this point
nvm i just found a website and if anyone else had this question for maximum depth fo any car look here.
Nissan 240SX Hatchback 89-93 Front Door 4 x 6 1 3/4 deep
Rear Side Shelves 4 x 6 5" Deep
http://cardiscountstereos.com/SpeakerGuide20.asp
SicKesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #74
wayneside
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
wayneside is on the path to ruinwayneside is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(2) 12 inch Fusion Powerplant subs
(2) 6.5 inch Fusion Powerplant components

This is my old set up...its all new now.
wayneside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #75
cook22

cook22 is an unknown quantity at this point
i got a sony head unit with 2 10" explodes in the back, everything else is stock
cook22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #76
swayray
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
swayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
my $10 speakers are being held by zipties... 6.5" up front and 5.5" at the back...

All i hear is treble... i have no bass... the bass is all in my head.... i heard benson said that's drifter style right there...
Old 03-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #77
MeSs
Zilvia Junkie

MeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura about
I have a pair of VDO 5,5".. Which i got for free.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #78
hellaflush
Zilvia Member

hellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to hellaflush Send a message via MSN to hellaflush
jvc avx805 double din 7" indash
250gb seagate 3.5" external usb hdd
4x DLS 2 way 6"

will post pics tonite
hellaflush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #79
4bangers
Zilvia Junkie

4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices
for an S14 rear speaker what is the size? what is a good brand? I heard infinity is good
4bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #80
sliksta1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
sliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
alpine CDA-9831
alpine type r 6.5 component system (front)
alpine type r 6x9 (rear)
i just need to get a 4 channel alpine amp.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #81
olah.inc
Zilvia Member

olah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enough
Clarion Dxz 958rmc
Amps: Signat lab2, Audison SRX2, Eton PA2802
Speaker: Eton A1 and RsAudio T25 Tweeter
Woofer: Peerless XXLS 12cw
complete fullactive

old pic
olah.inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #82
hellaflush
Zilvia Member

hellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to allhellaflush is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to hellaflush Send a message via MSN to hellaflush
6" for s14 rears is perfect

depends if you pose or race... if you have no rear interior no matter what you do its not going to sound absolutely fantastic as it wont be enclosed... mine still sounds good with no interior still
hellaflush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #83
down_shift
Leaky Injector

down_shift is making a name for him/her selfdown_shift is making a name for him/her self
I was happy with all stock for years, but when I got $100 gift card my audiophile friend made me upgrade. 6.5 Infintys in the front and dirt cheap 6.5 Dual Audios in the rear. Sounds a lot better then my completely dry rotted ones.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #84
BoostinGST
Zilvia Addict

BoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant future
i have no stereo in my 240, my DD has 2 alpine type-r 12s, a 1200w jbl amp, kenwoods for mids/highs, and a panasonic head unit. its not too shabby, i bought alot more for the s14 to do a carputer setup but i dont want the extra weight now.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #85
miucus
Zilvia Addict

miucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond repute
blown stock speakers on all 4 corners with some cheap kenwood headunit
miucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #86
Dirty Habit
Nissanaholic!

Dirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfection
Stock casette, 4 blown speakers. Woo.
Dirty Habit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #87
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
Quote:
Originally Posted by miucus View Post
blown stock speakers on all 4 corners with some cheap kenwood headunit
same except with a pioneer unit
Old 03-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #88
4bangers
Zilvia Junkie

4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices
so stock rear S14 speaker size is 6" is it a circular speaker? I thought the stock is more oval?
4bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #89
astrophixvox
Leaky Injector

astrophixvox has a spectacular aura aboutastrophixvox has a spectacular aura aboutastrophixvox has a spectacular aura aboutastrophixvox has a spectacular aura aboutastrophixvox has a spectacular aura aboutastrophixvox has a spectacular aura about
6.5 w/ adapters
4x6 in the rear
Kenwood deck
Sub tube in the back

Nothing to crazy.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #90
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
id love to just have a set of bose speakers. my car came with sony explods and they blow. haha
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote