Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
240msh
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s14 Rebuild KA vs SR Swap

My KA has over 210k miles on it, it finally started having problems constantly.. Theres also a rust problem in the coolant system causing a few fittings to erode. This is my daily driver, I have motor and trans pulled out but I really don't know what to do. If I was to do a full rebuild, is there any kits I could buy for that? Or should I just go sr.. If I go sr hows reliability while running low boost on stock internals? Also if I end up going sr what can I use from the ka a/c system
240msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
jared420sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jared420sx is on the path to ruinjared420sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
If you go sr just do it right and rebuild. Go to a importer and pick the best of the litter. Comp test. Take calve cover off inspect cams just look and see if it looks like shit in there. Check harness check all plugs. While everything is out refrsh some lines clean it up.
You could also pick up another running ka cheap too.
Bottom line is budget and time youre willing to be away from the car. Remeber haste makes waste.
jared420sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
240msh
Zilvia Member

240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known
I wouldn't rebuild the sr, I would just replace what needs replaced and try to find a healthy motor.. The time doesn't really matter as much to me, its more of what I get for the money. If I have to spend another 1k to get something that's more reliable and fun in the long run that's what id prefer to do.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
Davidjh

Trader Rating: (0)
Davidjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was stuck in the position where you are at right now. I always wanted to keep my KA and possibly turbo it. I had the timing chain guides break off and it ended up skipping a tooth of the timing. Once I reset the timing and put in a brand new cap rotor plugs and wires it ran perfect for only about 40 miles and it spun a rod and was knocking really badly. My 240sx is also my daily driver so I changed my mind last second to rebuild the KA and just to swap out into an SR20. I kept ac and heat and did all the preventative maintenance while it was out . I believe the SR20 is a better choice but I still love the KA engines !
Davidjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
R33E8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
R33E8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
For the price of an sr you could have a fully built ka.. I stuck with the ka..
R33E8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Kings bearings and NPR piston rings(both good quality) are $75 total and a ring filer is 50 bucks if you can't find one to borrow. Either hone it yourself or take it to a machine shop. Buy a head gasket kit, crank seals, and oil pickup seal and a tube or two of rtv. An oe rebuild is really cheap and really isn't hard. Just keep it as organize as possible and follow the fsm for all of your specs.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Kings bearings and NPR piston rings(both good quality) are $75 total and a ring filer is 50 bucks if you can't find one to borrow. Either hone it yourself or take it to a machine shop. Buy a head gasket kit, crank seals, and oil pickup seal and a tube or two of rtv. An oe rebuild is really cheap and really isn't hard. Just keep it as organize as possible and follow the fsm for all of your specs.
with over 200k on the engine he most likely will need to bore it at least .020 over.

OP, both are good choice I'd say it depends on your goals. I went the KA-t route a looong time ago and it was a pain in the ass since there wasn't much aftermarket support like there is now. SR's are cheaper and easier to find parts now and the KA has great aftermarket support where a turbo kit can literally be done without touching a welder, die grinder, hack saw, etc.

I'm biased towards the KA just because of the iron block, torquey powerband and superior head design so i'd go that route if I were in your shoes. Plus, if you build it yourself you know the engine is not going to give you issues later on as opposed to an SR with unknown history..and an old history at that. Tomei produces and is continuing to produce very great products for the KA.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
240msh
Zilvia Member

Exactly what id like to do, just shit happens at bad times lmao, id like to keep the ka and build it but I feel like it would be way easier and cheaper to just go sr
Old 02-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
240msh
Zilvia Member

Im also thinking of finding a long block ka from someone cheap and just not drifting everyday lmao. I think I might end up keeping the ka and getting it all machined and learn how everything works. Thanks everyone for advice, keep it coming haha.. hard decisions
Old 02-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #10
Maxstyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
Maxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
After talking to Tomei, they really like the KA. It s 2.4 and true cam over follower design that they said, is asking to be boosted. The compression ratio is there and it larger than what their stroker kit on the SR would be. I'll be Doing videos of to build process along with some new fuel product features about to be released for the KA. OS Giken Twin disc is going in too. My current OS Giken is Grand Touring is great but I will need a bit more for turbo.

Current motor:
CP Piston
Pauter Rods
Knife Edged Crank
Supertech light weight Cam Follower(buckets)

Plans:
Tomei Cams
Tomei Manifold and Turbo
OS GIKEN Twin Plate Clutch.
Fuel Rail and Injectors.
FMIC - trying to choose.

Tuning:
Customer Apexi Power FC (S13 Redtop with custom conversion box).
Maxstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #11
240msh
Zilvia Member

FYI to anyone that cares, bought that SR back then and still drive it to this day with 0 issues, well I fucked the clutch after a year, but yeah lmao

Last edited by 240msh; 09-25-2018 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: cares*