Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
Meccathor

Trader Rating: (0)
Meccathor is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Intermittent Wipers not working

For the past few years, my intermittent wipers have not worked at all. The two other speeds, fast and extremely fast, work perfectly though. I was looking through my factory service manual, and found that the possible causes of the problem are either A) The Time Control Unit (TCU), B) The wiper amp, or C) the wiper switch.

The problem is that I have no idea where any of these things are located. I searched around this site and 240sxforums and didn't really find any answers, hence this thread....

I took these two pictures in my engine bay and I'm pretty sure one of them is the wiper amp, so if you know which is the amp, let me know, and then tell me what the other one is...

I think this one is the wiper amp, but not positive, as i've read in a bunch of threads that its located on the passenger side, though that my only be for s14's...

Here's the other side of the engine bay, I think this is the wiper motor, but again, i'm not positive on that...

As for the Time Control Unit, I have no idea where it is at all. The FSM doesn't give a very good description of its location. So if anyone knows, please let me know.

Also as far as when the FSM refers to the wiper switch, is it talking about the physical switch on the steering column?

Finally, As I was looking around for the TCU, I was checking under the driver side kickpanel and I found this connector that isn't plugged into anything. Does anyone have any idea what this thing is? Here's a picture:

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Last edited by Meccathor; 07-14-2005 at 06:35 PM..
Meccathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to ranisron
Okay, I happen to have the same problems, but I got it fixed by coincidence ... when I was installing a headunit. basically, It should be one of the red fuses (15), right column, 3rd one done (or pull each of the red fuses, since I CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH ONE I pulled). When I pulled mine, it was blown, and when I replaced it, my intermmitent wiper started to work ?

Hope your problem gets solved fast.

EDIT: If you see a white 240sx fastback with loud exhaust around pittsburgh downtown area, it's me
Old 07-14-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The first picture shows the wiper amplifier. Its the green box.
Pstl_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
Meccathor

Ranisron: I just went outside and one by one tried every fuse in that box with a working one, and they were all good, so that's not by problem, thanks though.

Pstl_Pete: Thank you, is the second picture the wiper motor? and do you have any idea where the TCU is or what that connector is in the third picture?
Old 07-14-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Tech Questions belong in Tech Talk.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
speeddreamz
Zilvia FREAK!

speeddreamz is just really nicespeeddreamz is just really nicespeeddreamz is just really nicespeeddreamz is just really nicespeeddreamz is just really nicespeeddreamz is just really nicespeeddreamz is just really nicespeeddreamz is just really nicespeeddreamz is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to speeddreamz
If ya noe someone try switching wiper amplifier boxes, the green one in the pic. The other thing is ur wiper motor, on the passenger side.

As far as that thing thats not plugged in, I think its a consult check if im not mistaken? Something for diagnosis.
speeddreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
Meccathor

Thanks for the replies guys, now does anyone know where the Time Control Unit is?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:21 AM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Read my answer on FA.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
pr240sx
Zilvia Addict

pr240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
The Time Control Unit is a white box located under the fuse panel.
You need to remove the fuse panel to locate it.
As for the pictures, you are correct, the connector IS the Consult port.
Probably is the TCU, check the connections and wiggle the connectors
I assume that the wipers dont work when you activa the windshield washer too
Dimmer does not work correctly also
All these problems are TCU related.
pr240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:04 AM   #10
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
I have same problem as you, also my wipers will all of the sudden come on for a revolution out of nowhere. this happens quite frequently, almost every time I drive. does yours ever do that. im thinking I have a messed up electrical problem though.
mjjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #11
Meccathor

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know what the problem is when I get around to pinpointing it next week.

pr240sx: you are correct, the wipers don't come on when i hit the windshield washers, but my dimmer does work fine.

mjjstang: I've never experienced my wipers randomly coming on.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:34 PM   #12
Meccathor

I got it fixed...

I took my TCU out and followed the pinpoint check in the factory service manual. Everything checked out ok, so I put it back together and my intermittent wipers started working again...

Really wierd...

A connection must have been loose somewhere and the process of taking it apart and putting it back together had it make contact.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I hope this thread turns out useful for others.