Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
speedrift

Trader Rating: (0)
speedrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR20det vacuum mess

I got a S14 cheap with SR and i cant remember the vacuum turbo, waste, bov and all that. I was going to install a boost controler between what i thought would have been Waste gate ---- Boost controler ---Hot side turbo pipe.

But instead its set up like this? can any one help clairify my mess. as i have had vacuum problems showing off a shitty idle and running rich... This is how mine is. Is this right I cant remember how my S13 was.

I was told it was a S14 black top... the owner didnt know much about the car. He had bought it from Socal, the swap was done at Monster fabercations.. I already spent hours tring to fix tons of "Done wrong"

http://www.projectaspec.com
speedrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
there will be a nipple on the underside the the throttle body. use that one for the turbo wastegate and intercept that same line for the boost controller solenoid. use the vacuum nipple directly under the fpr for the fpr vacuum/boost source. other than that it looks fine.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Killa_D
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
Killa_D can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
cool pic lol
Killa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
speedrift

correct way i do believe

Old 11-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
speedrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoguRacing View Post
there will be a nipple on the underside the the throttle body. use that one for the turbo wastegate and intercept that same line for the boost controller solenoid. use the vacuum nipple directly under the fpr for the fpr vacuum/boost source. other than that it looks fine.

thank you i found that nipple was blocked off. I am going to use the bottom one like you said then one top ones for FPR..

Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i used the top one for fpr and tee'd off that for my vac/boost gauge, then my bov is the other nipple on the top and the wastegate is the nipple under the TB
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Destructodc74
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
Destructodc74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
isnt that the intake manifold for an s13 sr? or did s14 sr come with those also in some year. im trying to figure out if my vacuum lines are lines are all right too but i have an s14 sr. any ideas?
Destructodc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
GMMTC

Trader Rating: (1)
GMMTC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The one with the red lines looks correct to me. But does anyone see any issues with doing what I want to do? I was going to T my boost gauge off the FPR line. But I figured why bother if I have the bottom nipple plugged off, I should be able to put the FPR, BOV and Boost Gauge on their individual lines assuming the bottom nipple will work fine for the BOV. The reason I want to use that for the bov is because it's a smaller hose which fits the HKS Bov better. But a friend said the bottom line on his car didn't have much vacuum, is it any different than the top ones, or does that make any sense?

Here is a picture of what I want to do.

GMMTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
KaminaSan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
KaminaSan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMTC View Post
The one with the red lines looks correct to me. But does anyone see any issues with doing what I want to do? I was going to T my boost gauge off the FPR line. But I figured why bother if I have the bottom nipple plugged off, I should be able to put the FPR, BOV and Boost Gauge on their individual lines assuming the bottom nipple will work fine for the BOV. The reason I want to use that for the bov is because it's a smaller hose which fits the HKS Bov better. But a friend said the bottom line on his car didn't have much vacuum, is it any different than the top ones, or does that make any sense?

Here is a picture of what I want to do.

Your BoV will not work on the bottom line afaik, because the bottom one only gets boost, not vacuum, and if I'm correct, your BoV works off of vacuum.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaminaSan View Post
Your BoV will not work on the bottom line afaik, because the bottom one only gets boost, not vacuum, and if I'm correct, your BoV works off of vacuum.
Correct,

The bottom line is useless.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
KaminaSan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
KaminaSan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Correct,

The bottom line is useless.
Not completely useless. Like I said, it does have boost, so it works well for wastegate.

That's how I have mine setup, because I refuse to have my FPR teed off with anything.

Although for the BoV, yes I guess it is useless.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Unrelated to the vacuum, but you've got the Fuel going in the wrong side, and you have to recirculated that BOV as well.

It may have been an error in the picture, or just be unrelated...but if that's how it's setup it's wrong.

Advice: always keep your boost gauge on the intake manifold, and the shorter the wastegate source line, the quicker it will respond.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
nicks240sxs13
Leaky Injector

nicks240sxs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
SR

im not sure if this is right, but with my s13 sr20
i got the bottom nipple plugged
the top right going to my greddy type-s(knock off) BOV,
and the top left going to my boost/vaccumm gauge, FPR, and my wastegate.

besides the fact that i got compressor surge from my knock off bov it runs fine at stock 7lbs of boost.

if my lines are set up wrong please let me know lol

Last edited by nicks240sxs13; 11-19-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: .
nicks240sxs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #14
s13_rb25
Zilvia Addict

s13_rb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lol. i see one prob that i hope you just misdrew, the line coming off of your fuel filter should be your supply line for the fuel, which SHOULD NOT go into the fuel rail on the side of the fuel pressure regulator, the FPR is regulating pressure coming out, so if it is indeed the way you drew it, you might want to switch your fuel lines around. also you should have a 3 way connector that connects three vacuum lines, one from your throttle body, one from the waste gate, and the one from the BOV should all be T'd off together. the other vacuum line goes from the TB straight to the FPR.
s13_rb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #15
s13_rb25
Zilvia Addict

s13_rb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vacuum & Gas Lines

This is the pic i drew up for you diagram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GAY2.jpg (120.1 KB, 707 views)
s13_rb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #16
redenblack
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
redenblack is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to redenblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_rb25 View Post
This is the pic i drew up for you diagram
where does boost gauge get T'd off?
redenblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
nismoman
Zilvia Junkie

nismoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Never t off of the fpr line or wasgate line! It can work but increases chances of failure on to critical components. You don't want to run lean or over boost. And you can run the boost gauge off that bottom nipple if you don't need it to read vaccum.

From HeavyThrottle's SRSWAP FAQ:
Quote:
The vacuum lines are simple: 3 lines start at the throttle body. The bottom one goes to the canister, block it off unless you are using the canister. The larger one on top runs to the bypass valve (BOV). The smaller top line tees to the fuel pressure regulator, and runs across the front of the engine to your boost gauge and/or the boost pressure port on your boost controller.

The wastegate gets its signal from the nipple on the intercooler piping. The Apexi boost controller stepping motors go in between the IC piping and the wastegate actuator.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #18
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not knocking anyone, but being around these engines for sometime myself. I see a lot of information that is just used to simplify an install or make money for the installer.

Just look at some of the things they recommend. On the other hand a vet owner would tell you to change, the hoses under the intake manifold, get a oil filter relocation kit and a catch can.

Good catch on the fuel line routing, The Fpr can be t'ed with a boost gauge, and a boost gauge can be used to monitor your fuel pressure. Here's how, set your base fuel pressure, then connect the vacuum line, you're are pulling 38 - 40 inhg, convert and subtract. OK crude, but if you do use your boost gauge, like i do. you would see if there is a problem. AT idle you'd be rich, and see no vacuum, wot there would be no boost, but you should not go too lean, unless you're pushing more than the 20psi or untuned. Realistically you'd have all the appropriate gauges in the car anyway but...
my 2¢

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
xiaphin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (32)
xiaphin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xiaphin
Heres my setup. Yah or Nay. My BOV line and FP line are backwards from what Nismoman posted but I remember reading somewhere to use the top right location for FP only. My diagram is for an s13 with boost gauge, boost controller, and recirculation. Going to start my car probably tomorrow. Like to know if this is correct.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #20
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
You have no boost source! XD

Those top nipples are just different OD sizes.
Here's a setup that is common, requires an extra Tee fitting. T vacuum line from FRP to boost gauge and boost controller. (I might catch flak for saying that.) Use the bottom port on throttle body for the boost source (WG) and boost controller solenoid.

This is just utilizing the ports you have, you could add a vacuum block or tap for additional vacuum sources.
Anyway, this is how I've routed mine, minus the bottom port since my compressor housing was already ported.

ps the valve cover vent is routed wrong too!

Old 11-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #21
xiaphin
Zilvia Junkie

any better?

for some reason with all this info I still cant picture how my lines are to run. Here's my 2nd attempt. My fuel is ran correctly just didnt change original image. Have catch can also. So either tee off the fpr or bottom nipple for my boost controller solenoid? Whats the nipple on my Apexi intake for?

Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
cotbu
Post Whore!

Bottom nipple for solenoid, nipple on apexi intake can be capped off or used for bleed port on boost control solenoid.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #23
xiaphin
Zilvia Junkie

Ok Figured it out. Thanks guys.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #24
GMMTC

Trader Rating: (1)
GMMTC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
spring is here, here's my second attempt. I know I should get a closer WG source but I don't have a nipple on my hot pipe yet, that'll be a future upgrade.

GMMTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #25
techtonic1985

techtonic1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMTC View Post
spring is here, here's my second attempt. I know I should get a closer WG source but I don't have a nipple on my hot pipe yet, that'll be a future upgrade.

Does this setup work ??? i need a redo lol
techtonic1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
cotbu
Post Whore!

yes that works

Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #27
HellaSexyS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
HellaSexyS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownHellaSexyS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownHellaSexyS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
i know this thread is old by my TB has 4 ports under it,where do they all go to?
HellaSexyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #28
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
metako42

metako42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Killer2001. Here's a version that prints a bit better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S13 Vac Hose Diagram cropped.jpg (362.0 KB, 231 views)
metako42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #30
dontxploitme
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (27)
dontxploitme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
sorry to revive the thread but would this set up work?

wastegate - hot pipe
bov - top right nipple on throttle body
fpr - top left nipple on throttle body
boost gauge - lower nipple on throttle body
dontxploitme is offline   Reply With Quote