Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
LadyJdm
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (4)
LadyJdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
KA The Perfect Ka24E Build Info Learning<3

Hey everyone!

I'm here to start a new and FRESH new thread for Ka24E LOVERS out there!

My other thread (ka24e how to gain torque)

Was pretty lame, but it taught me to do more research and see other people experiences in the field of building a nice Ka24E build<3

not many people out there fully build ka24E that I see but I'm here to get info and also have ideas for my Ka24E build

so let's start on what is the RIGHT 1st step of parts to upgrade on a Ka24E motor 1st!

I know there's alot of ways to start, but what are they key parts that a Ka24E motor Lacks & Gains Can Be Fixed And Solved!

I say 1st from hearing from other O.G builders...

"IF YOUR WORRIED ABOUT MONEY, THEN DON'T BUILD YOUR MOTOR"

every build takes time and money to even make a good motor turn out "DAMN!" so I say for one..

Ka24E motors lack the PISTONS of the motor,
Like Ka24DE motors they are better equip with bigger/better pistons of course, and that's where a ka24e lacks power, to gain that extra 10-15hp for stock Ka24e Vs ka24de motor has.

but also when you add that to the list you have to think about fuel injectors/fuel bump/fuel rail ETC to gain max performance if you really want to see the numbers

so 1st question! what is the best performance pistons out there for KA24E? even I'm thinking which to pick...

Arias, Cp And Tomei ETC. what is the right compression for N/A or turbo Build???

I want to go N/A Build On My KA motor but u can also post up things for turbo as well
(i'll go turbo after i build N/A)

Thanks For Reply's!!!
LadyJdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
tell me about the CHEAPEST and more RELIABLE bolt on turbo kit for ka24e

fast, reliable, cheap
pick two
h2v7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Weedm
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Weedm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
building an n/a single cam for what? with the amount of money you pour into building a half decent single cam to gain 20 hp, you could have a nicely done SR that is both reliable and fun.

im glad i never finished my ka24et build.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Rebello should offer nice parts for the KAE for replacement. I would personally lean towards the CP Pistons. tons of guys running CP pistons can't say enough good things about build quality and their performance. Then again, Arias has been in the business longer IFAIK.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
If you want to know how to build a KA24E then go on the KA-T forums. They have a section dedicated to it. Most people on Zilvia are diehard SR20 lovers. Not that it's bad but they are not going to have the information for you most the time.

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Pandapants
Zilvia Junkie

Pandapants is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pandapants
The ka head is restrictive, worse on the single cam. Open it up with a port job and throw on a big cam. That's where you'll see the best gains.
Pandapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
LadyJdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soooshi View Post
Rebello should offer nice parts for the KAE for replacement. I would personally lean towards the CP Pistons. tons of guys running CP pistons can't say enough good things about build quality and their performance. Then again, Arias has been in the business longer IFAIK.

CP pistons are pretty nice, mmm ill check em out more they are about the same price as Arias,but seems like CP has more varity or compression rates high and low, so they must be pretty good to have a wide varity for N/A and Turbo build, thanx soooshi!

Quote:
The ka head is restrictive, worse on the single cam. Open it up with a port job and throw on a big cam. That's where you'll see the best gains.
THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING! >_< through some nice performance camshaft/Pistons and the KAE will be set for a good performance!

what do u guys think are best for camshafts out there??
Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
LadyJdm

Quote:
If you want to knowhow to build a KA24E then go on the KA-T forums. They have a section dedicated to it. Most people on Zilvia are diehard SR20 lovers. Not that it's bad but they are not going to have the information for you most the time.
I know eh? lol well i know there people out there that hate the idea of building a KAE motor, but i'm just sticking with what i wanna see really accomplish, and also in the long run be a reliable built track/daily car
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
LadyJdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2v7 View Post
tell me about the CHEAPEST and more RELIABLE bolt on turbo kit for ka24e

fast, reliable, cheap
pick two

honestly there is no fast/cheap/ depending on how u use ur motor reliabe turbo out there lol i found some that are like ebay brands that can gain like 100hp-150hp and max psi can reach to 7-9 but not bad for a daily its like $500-$1000 for the whole turbo kit , i think it's called, CX racing. but thats what ive seen thats seems pretty good for the price and what u get for it

but like i said, depending on how u use it u can blow the turbo easy, ive seen it happen alot on KAE motors, better approach with a N/a build, like pistons/cams/camshafts/fuel etc and then TURBO THE ITCH - & you can boost as much as u want! without little worry
Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Pandapants
Zilvia Junkie

Pandapants is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pandapants
O and J performance makes some nice cams for the single cam, better than jim wolf.
Pandapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
LadyJdm

oo i'll check on the O&J performance, if there better then jim wolf then they must be pretty good what motor do u have pandapants?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
Arias pistons FTW Lilly I can get you a fat discount on the pistons I am close friend of the arias family. Also N/A will get you no where if you wana stick to the kae platform your going to need boost to make it worth while at all. hit me up when you wanna come by and pick up that exhaust
Old 02-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #13
alexandria

Trader Rating: (0)
alexandria is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJdm View Post
better approach with a N/a build, like pistons/cams/camshafts/fuel etc and then TURBO THE ITCH - & you can boost as much as u want! without little worry
You might want to mention that if you do an N/A build with high compression pistons you dont want to just slap a turbo on it and call it a day. You might want to get some low compression pistons, just my 2 cents.
alexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
LadyJdm

Quote:
You might want to mention that if you do an N/A build with high compression pistons you dont want to just slap a turbo on it and call it a day. You might want to get some low compression pistons, just my 2 cents.
fo shure! forgot!

high Compression build is Better formatted for N/A build!
and
Low Compression is better for Turbo build!

thanx for pointing that out alexandria!

but hasan! ill check on those pistons fo shure! love discounts!<3 and ill see if i can get the exhaust today ill hit u up!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #15
s13boy89
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
s13boy89 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13boy89
single cam is just fine in stock form miebuilt ne was rebuilt.headers.intake.lightweight flywheel.nismo r3 camand it ran titts
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
LadyJdm

yeah fo shure! im thinking of doing something else now, but im still going to build my single cam alittle so it has a punch to it

but if u guys go to the track and drift ill see u around!! just look for a 240sx coupe white with a ladyjdm sticker on the driver side front window!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
raidanthunder

Trader Rating: (0)
raidanthunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedm View Post
building an n/a single cam for what? with the amount of money you pour into building a half decent single cam to gain 20 hp, you could have a nicely done SR that is both reliable and fun.

im glad i never finished my ka24et build.
notice how the title of the post is "The Perfect Ka24E Build Info Learning"
it is a post for those that actually like the KA, so your SR blasphomy is not wanted or needed here.
raidanthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #18
LadyJdm

Quote:
it is a post for those that actually like the KA, so your SR blasphomy is not wanted or needed here.
THANK YOU!!! lol yes only KA-Lovers Here<3

but when i get my pistons/camshafts/cams ill post you guys up on my dyno test!
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #19
240sohc
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (14)
240sohc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
any update on your upgraded parts? pistons or camshaft for that matter?
240sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #20
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidanthunder View Post
Even then, the KA24E is a waste no matter how you roll the dice. It's like building a CA18DET, or an RB20DET. Atleast upgrade to the DE, it's a better platform to begin with than the E... Either way it's your money, you're allowed to waste it as you see fit. I just think in the long run and reliably speaking the DE would better suit your needs.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
mikey976
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
mikey976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mikey976
I have been running the CXracing turbo kit for the past year, on a stock motor @11psi

i have to say the kit is great car feels amazing, 50trim turbo is the perfect size for fun and still maintains off boost civility. but to anyone who runs the kit, do the smart thing and get all the complimentary parts that go along with installing a turbo kit. ie: fuel system and a tune and clutch.

i have yet to have the car dyno'ed but plan to have it done within the next month or 2.

everyone is correct the 2 bottle necks the sohc have is the head and the pistons.
a mild port and polish and cam combined with turbo will really wake the motor up.

as it was suggested visit Ka-t.org alot of great info and very helpful people

Last edited by mikey976; 06-01-2011 at 12:48 PM..
mikey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #22
240sohc
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (14)
240sohc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Anyone out there using the jgs precision turbo kit or their manifold for that matter?
240sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #23
LadyJdm

Quote:
I have been running the CXracing turbo kit for the past year, on a stock motor @11psi

i have to say the kit is great car feels amazing, 50trim turbo is the perfect size for fun and still maintains off boost civility. but to anyone who runs the kit, do the smart thing and get all the complimentary parts that go along with installing a turbo kit. ie: fuel system and a tune and clutch.

i have yet to have the car dyno'ed but plan to have it done within the next month or 2.

everyone is correct the 2 bottle necks the sohc have is the head and the pistons.
a mild port and polish and cam combined with turbo will really wake the motor up.

as it was suggested visit Ka-t.org alot of great info and very helpful people __________________
SOHC - Boosted Bandit
IFXCC.com
damn nice! 11lbs for a daily is pretty bawlesy lol but nice! im going to go turbo soon also might be getting the god speed and upgrading the turbo see how that goes
Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #24
mikey976
Zilvia Member

im not aware thet godspeed makes a turbo kit for kae, all the kits you see on ebay are cxracing.

im also tuned via nistune/460 injectors/n60 maf/LC-1 wideband,
7psi was meh the provided WG with the kit is crap. i bought an emusa and tial 7+4psi springs. 11psi is nice the butt dyno likes it, 14-16psi should be sick (with the addition of meth injection)
Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
LadyJdm

oo heck yeah that sounds good already! yeah god speed has turbo kits just newly made for ka motors, and they also sell the replacment turbos for them also *PLUS!*<3

and nice how much hp you pushing? 200-250hp??
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #26
mikey976
Zilvia Member

just looked up the price on it, holy crap $2400 bux!! i paid 1100 shipped for my cxracing and its the same exact kit, only difference is the elbow/dp on the godspeed is 3 bolt vs 2 bolt on mine.

as far as my power, it remains unknown till i have it dyno'ed but some of my friends are speculating i may be close to 300 being i raced a 2008 Porsche Cayman S and took him by 2.5 cars. i can get a more accurate estimate once i take it to the strip and get a few passes in
Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #27
LadyJdm

yeah they are a bit pricey but u can find them for 1100-1500$ when they come on sale, i saw one on ebay not to long ago for $1000 bidding and they got it for $1300 not bad i would say for everything! but cx racing is nice though i love the way there welds are looks thick and strong

but

dang! nice that means u should be around 13 secs on 1/4mile!
not bad for single cam<3 love em!

im thinking 1st to build mine all N/A maybe hit the 250hp mark then go turbo and reach up to 350-400hp with turbo and see how that goes need that power for drifting!<3
Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #28
mikey976
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJdm View Post
im thinking 1st to build mine all N/A maybe hit the 250hp mark then go turbo and reach up to 350-400hp with turbo and see how that goes need that power for drifting!<3
your gonna be extremely hard pressed to squeeze 200whp out of a N/A kae, there is a company that sells kae crate motors putting out roughly 300hp, but their life span is counted in hours of use not miles not to mention a 6k+ price tag if i recall.

i priced a built bottom end (assuming i do all the work as usual)

weisco pistons with eagle rods = $740
ACL bearings = $80
ARP studs for main and head = $200
cometic head gasket = $80
hot tank and general block inspection = $150 (depends on your machinist)

roughly $1250+ the cost of the cx racing kit = $2350 still cheaper
now add in rx7 460/550's / nistune / z32/n60 maf your just cresting $3k
then you have to have it tuned say $3500 (with out price of clutch)

a built head will run you another $800+ you'll have a motor capable of 400+whp (depending on tune) all day long
Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #29
LadyJdm

hmmm then i am bout right then 400 whp is enough power in a single i say, i already beat daul cams pulling up hill from 2nd to 5th gear and im about half a car lane away not bad with bolt ons

but have u bore u head already??
Old 06-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #30
TheEightyNine

Trader Rating: (1)
TheEightyNine is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive decided to stick with the sohc since it will be easier to do than any other swap. Plus the sohc should be plenty for what ill need it for. A strong running reliable daily driver that i can take out to the track every so often.
So ill be buying a spare block to do a stock rebuild on.
then i plan to use a OandJ cam. Cant decide if i should go with the hydralic stage 1 (266 Duration 435 Lift) or stage 2 (270 Duration 445 Lift). I want the best bang for my buck so im tempted to go with the stage 2 but do you think ill loose alot of the bottom end tourqe with the stage 2?
Along with the rebuild and cam ill be running a 4-2-1 header, 2.25 straight exhaust and plan to relocate battery to the back and make a custom air intake in place of the battery. Once ive done all that i plan to get a tune depending on how much money i have left after everything. I know its not necessary but i wanna set it up the best i can with what i have.
Also just curious once i have the engine ready to swap should i be going with a different spark plug gap and what should i do timing wise with a setup like this? Stock?
Thanks in advance
TheEightyNine is offline   Reply With Quote