Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
KA-T needs more POWAH!

Looking to get more power out of my setup, but I'm not sure what to do next. Some of my options are below.

1997 ka24de
stock rods
wiseco 9:1 forged pistons
ARP headstuds
OEM head gasket
stock cams
stock intake manifold
JWT ECU
z32 maf
555cc nismo injectors
revhard copy cast manifold
3" HKS sport exhaust
high-flow cat
35mm tial wastegate recirculated
FMIC
57 trim t3/t4 .63 a/r
12 psi

dyno'd at 268whp/283tq a long time ago.

I've always tried to keep this car somewhat quiet and streetable avoiding catless exhausts and screamer pipes. The car has pretty good response and pulls hard, but it feels like the power drops off quick after 6000 rpms. I know the turbo manifold, stock s14 cams and intake manifold are all to blame.

If you could only do one of these options, what would you do?
-bigger injectors, AEM v.1 with more boost (JWT is running pretty rich on boost AFR's are in the 10's)
-bigger cams (will it make a difference on this Flintstone-tech cast manifold?)
-Change cast manifold for ram horn tubular
-___________?
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (62)
Rb26kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 62 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
Looking to get more power out of my setup, but I'm not sure what to do next. Some of my options are below.

1997 ka24de
stock rods
wiseco 9:1 forged pistons
ARP headstuds
OEM head gasket
stock cams
stock intake manifold
JWT ECU
z32 maf
555cc nismo injectors
revhard copy cast manifold
3" HKS sport exhaust
high-flow cat
35mm tial wastegate recirculated
FMIC
57 trim t3/t4 .63 a/r
12 psi

dyno'd at 268whp/283tq a long time ago.

I've always tried to keep this car somewhat quiet and streetable avoiding catless exhausts and screamer pipes. The car has pretty good response and pulls hard, but it feels like the power drops off quick after 6000 rpms. I know the turbo manifold, stock s14 cams and intake manifold are all to blame.

If you could only do one of these options, what would you do?
-bigger injectors, AEM v.1 with more boost (JWT is running pretty rich on boost AFR's are in the 10's)
-bigger cams (will it make a difference on this Flintstone-tech cast manifold?)
-Change cast manifold for ram horn tubular
-___________?

Jwt S1 cams & take it back to JWT for a fine tune you’ll be just over 300hp
Rb26kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
get the new Tomei cast KA-t manifold, get a more precise tune, switch to a more efficient turbo, def get JWT cams.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
cams is your problem
Old 11-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Thanks for the responses guys. Do you think the increased duration will be of any benefit with my turbo manifold? This is what it looks like: (Kind of like a log-style but not as bad..it's more like a short-runner header)
Old 11-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
that is a log manifold and flows just as bad. Cams will allow a little more flow and allow you to carry the power to redline instead of falling off hard after 5.5kish. More usable power, and more linear power band. Your car wont feel like it has "nothing left" anymore with more revs. Cams will help regardless of the exhaust manifold design (within reason)
Old 11-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
264s or bigger will definitely help wake up the engine. I had BC 264s on a ka-t and currently a na/ka and it pulls through a lot better to redline. A decent flowing manifold is also going to help with top end power as well. So i'd look into doing those two items first before going on any further with something else.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
spooled240
Post Whore!

I heard more cam duration can be detrimental on engines using manifolds that are prone to exhaust pulse interference like log manifolds, but I suppose going to 256-270* won't be that crazy of a jump. Plus, the s14 cams just suck for anything other than towing lol.

I'm waiting for the Tomei cams to come in. I'll update this thread when those are in.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
EnnEssEnnKAT can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
They had those cams over on the ka-t forums that were on a group buy and I've been reading they were well worth it. I'd check into whatever specs. those were and get something like that:
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57359
EnnEssEnnKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
well how much powa do you want? and where do you want your power band to be?

alot of options:

keep same setup add aem + more boost and you can get more power but you will be pushing that outdated turbo.

change turbo+ manifold and get something more efficent : tomi + 3071 internal wastegate or recirculated waste gate, keep same FMU.

or my choice:
Turbo+mani + aem.

As far as cams it will shift your power band and give you more usable power towards redline. I have stock cams but with how efficient my setup is i keep making power up to 7k on stock 232. So setup efficiency and tuning is key. Id address those first then fine tune with cam_gears.

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnEssEnnKAT View Post
They had those cams over on the ka-t forums that were on a group buy and I've been reading they were well worth it. I'd check into whatever specs. those were and get something like that:
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57359
Turboholic, these are the cams i run. They are just BC 264s. Also no longer available. When i got mine like 4 years ago he had 3 sets left, good cams.
My old dyno with cams

VS. what you see with stock cams is the power usually falls off pretty hard after 5.5k
Old 11-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #12
spooled240
Post Whore!

Looks like I missed the train on those :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
well how much powa do you want? and where do you want your power band to be?

alot of options:

keep same setup add aem + more boost and you can get more power but you will be pushing that outdated turbo.

change turbo+ manifold and get something more efficent : tomi + 3071 internal wastegate or recirculated waste gate, keep same FMU.

or my choice:
Turbo+mani + aem.

As far as cams it will shift your power band and give you more usable power towards redline. I have stock cams but with how efficient my setup is i keep making power up to 7k on stock 232. So setup efficiency and tuning is key. Id address those first then fine tune with cam_gears.
I don't want or need anything crazy..350whp with a broad, usable powerband is good enough for me.

The turbo is actually not too bad..I get full boost at around 3200, sometimes 3000 in 5th. The noticeable power drop-off after 6k is what is kinda annoying and if I can fix that with some cams and squeeze out a few more ponies with the standalone(forgot to mention I already have an AEM v.1 laying around) then I'll probably do that.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Approaching 350wtq and the rods become questionable.
Past 450wtq and those headstuds become questionable.

I'd say plop a set of cams in and be happy, otherwise you're looking at revamping quite a few things.

Kelford makes great cams btw.
https://www.kelfordcams.com/global/c...san/ka24de-det

I'd never recommend AEM V1 to anybody, as it's probably less capable than your stock ECU with a Nismotronics board.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Turboholic, these are the cams i run. They are just BC 264s. Also no longer available. When i got mine like 4 years ago he had 3 sets left, good cams.
My old dyno with cams

VS. what you see with stock cams is the power usually falls off pretty hard after 5.5k
I have RWD 264's available, 1 on my shelves and BC shows them in stock if anyone is interested PM me!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #15
spooled240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post

I'd say plop a set of cams in and be happy, otherwise you're looking at revamping quite a few things.

I'd never recommend AEM V1 to anybody, as it's probably less capable than your stock ECU with a Nismotronics board.
questionable, but they should hold haha

I got the AEM for cheap, but yeah I understand it's basically a customizable OEM ecu with support for coilpacks and a map sensor. I've heard and it seems like the JWT ecu's are really conservative as far as timing and AFR's go so I'm thinking I can get it more dialed in with the AEM for the time being.

I recently kind of started drag racing for shits and giggles and the drag racer mentality has been taking over...MORE POWAHHHHH!!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #16
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post

From the banter Martin and I have had over the years along with my own research closer to 400 wtq is the questionable point (not trying to argue, just fwiw) My friend Cory who i think still holds the stock block record seemed to agree (nissanfanatic)
I think my car has been making at least 350wtq for a couple years, stock rods with ARP bolts. I am also 8.6:1 compression though

My 50 trim with 264 cams is still one of my favorite set ups of all time. Immediate spool, good power, pulls all the way to redline. Easily the most effective set up for just about anything short of hunting big boy cars, or dyno numbers.
I'm building another car with that set up.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #17
gtrpryde

Trader Rating: (0)
gtrpryde is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tomei or Kelford cams would be my choice, and first option out of your 3. Supporting mods should knock out the biggest restrictions first.

Next would be injectors/AEM or whatever EMS you choose

Lastly the manifold. My Evo 8 had a cast factory manifold similar to the revhard with a very small turbine housing and it still made 330whp at 21 psi. The manifolds were still used up to 450whp reliably, so I wouldn't upgrade it til you are ready for a bigger turbo anyway.
gtrpryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #18
S-Verteen
Leaky Injector

S-Verteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Some guys run an afc to dial in afrs for noticeable gains in hp. I believe the cams will wake up your mill on the low end increase the power band.
S-Verteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrpryde View Post
Tomei or Kelford cams would be my choice, and first option out of your 3. Supporting mods should knock out the biggest restrictions first.

Next would be injectors/AEM or whatever EMS you choose

Lastly the manifold. My Evo 8 had a cast factory manifold similar to the revhard with a very small turbine housing and it still made 330whp at 21 psi. The manifolds were still used up to 450whp reliably, so I wouldn't upgrade it til you are ready for a bigger turbo anyway.
They're also twin scroll and most definitely better engineered than standard log
Old 01-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #20
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Thumbs up

Ah the good ol' days of drag racing those pesky 5.0 mustangs.

Get yourself one of those CXracing manifold and down pipes and have it coated.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised your power output is so low. I think the very first KAt I built was at 277.12/277.13 @ 7PSI

Either way you're heading in the right direction
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #21
dreaMervaj
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
dreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I love the KA-T love on this thread. Reminds me of when ka-t.org was active...

I vote cams!
dreaMervaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #22
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
Ah the good ol' days of drag racing those pesky 5.0 mustangs.

Get yourself one of those CXracing manifold and down pipes and have it coated.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised your power output is so low. I think the very first KAt I built was at 277.12/277.13 @ 7PSI

Either way you're heading in the right direction
I wouldn't waste money on coating a CX manifold. It will break 100% fact. Then you'll be grinding off the coating to weld it. I would coat the downpipe though.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #23
spooled240
Post Whore!

Thanks for the responses, fellas. I have the Tomei cams on order, but they won't be here til Feb. I'm expecting those to help eliminate the Cummins diesel power band.

Any thoughts on going with Tomei's cast t2 manifold? I'm thinking of a quick-spooling GT2871R setup putting down 380-400whp. A T2 turbo and an internal gate I know is not ideal, but I'm thinking if CodyAce was able to squeeze 400whp out of his SR with the same turbo, internal gate and an extrude honed/swained OEM manifold it would be possible on the KA with the higher flowing Tomei unit and some cams. I would love to stick with a cast turbo manifold for durability and heat management purposes.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #24
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
I wouldn't waste money on coating a CX manifold. It will break 100% fact. Then you'll be grinding off the coating to weld it. I would coat the downpipe though.
I mean I'm sure that's happened, but I never experienced it personally. I had more issues with the ram horn style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
Thanks for the responses, fellas. I have the Tomei cams on order, but they won't be here til Feb. I'm expecting those to help eliminate the Cummins diesel power band.

Any thoughts on going with Tomei's cast t2 manifold? I'm thinking of a quick-spooling GT2871R setup putting down 380-400whp. A T2 turbo and an internal gate I know is not ideal, but I'm thinking if CodyAce was able to squeeze 400whp out of his SR with the same turbo, internal gate and an extrude honed/swained OEM manifold it would be possible on the KA with the higher flowing Tomei unit and some cams. I would love to stick with a cast turbo manifold for durability and heat management purposes.

All I can say is I don't care for bottom mount manifolds, but from what I hear that's a good manifold. It's just that it's pretty pricey and T2...
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #25
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
I mean I'm sure that's happened, but I never experienced it personally. I had more issues with the ram horn style.

All I can say is I don't care for bottom mount manifolds, but from what I hear that's a good manifold. It's just that it's pretty pricey and T2...
We've had about 5 break locally. Two of the thicker gauge, 3 of the standard gauge, my old Gen1 also broke at the wastegate after like 2 years. Have also seen many others in my time moderating the KAT FB group, same spot. My gen 2 has broken twice, once in my ownership. CX uses a thinner metal on their wastegate ports, thats where all have broken. Same spot, every time, just a matter of time.
This manifold had a fat plate welded to the side, but they just welded the original outlet back on. This time we replaced it with a thicker gauge and ground the pedestal to give it a little extra support.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 AM   #26
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Cams, and ditch the high flow cat for some more pep. Those rods are a definite weak point in your setup though.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #27
spooled240
Post Whore!

My mini-build thread?

So I finally got some parts added to the old KA turbo. Installed the Tomei poncams and an Xcessive ramhorn manifold with a downpipe that was for sale by another Zilvian. Very nice piece. The downpipe didn't fit for shit so that set me back a few weeks scratching my head, but after some cutting, adding a bend and some reclocking everything lined up nicely. I also decided to dump the wastegate pipe under the car instead of recirculating it.

The results?

Oh my god it's a whole new engine. The topend is MUCH MUCH better. Full boost hits around 3500 rpms and the engine just keeps pulling harder and harder even after 5500 rpms. It's almost like the engine wants to rev out to 7k and doesn't seem as I was forcing it like it did before. I definitely lost some of the snappy low-end torque below 2500 rpms, but it's not bad at all. The gains up top are clearly worth it. These cams are great.

Now that the hardware is done, I will be looking to work on fueling/engine management next.

Looking to either:
1)Reflash the JWT ecu for bigger injectors(740cc), the lower compression(9:1) and the Tomei cams. I believe this service is about $100?
2)Get the AEM v.1 EMS going with larger injectors, LS coil packs and a GM map sensor. Will have to get the car dyno-tuned of course. This route is much more expensive, but the car will be dialed in perfectly and will be faster.
3)Do #1 first and #2 later

Shooting for around 350whp on 91 octane. I heard 15psi is about as much as you want to run on a KA on 91 which should net me the 350 that I'm looking for, but I'm open to suggestions. There's an e85 station right by where I live, but I don't want to take away any practicality away from this car for 350whp.

Here are some pics. I have since added a heat shield, a turbo blanket and wrapped the downpipe to keep the heat away from the brake master.

I know this isn't going to win any engine bay contests lol

My babies
Old 10-31-2018, 07:27 AM   #28
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

koukizhang is on a distinguished road
beautiful. glad you're seeing improvements with the turbo setup.
koukizhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #29
MiamiGrinch240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
MiamiGrinch240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Always love to see a fellow KA-T, not sure where you’re drawing the line financially, but AEM Infinity is worth every penny if you choose to go standalone. It’s also much smaller than the EMS. I had JWT & SAFCII on my first setup, car ran pig rich. I switched to EMS V2 then eventually to Infinity which is fantastic. If you can get your hands on a V1 or V2 EMS, AEM will give you 40% off list price on an Infinity as a trade-up. Just something to consider. Saw you mentioned E85, I run it on my KA-T, but you need the right setup for it.

Last edited by MiamiGrinch240; 11-09-2018 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Typo
MiamiGrinch240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #30
spooled240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGrinch240 View Post
Always love to see a fellow KA-T, not sure where you’re drawing the line financially, but AEM Infinity is worth every penny if you choose to go standalone. It’s also much smaller than the EMS. I had JWT & SAFCII on my first setup, car ran pig rich. I switched to EMS V2 then eventually to Infinity which is fantastic. If you can get your hands on a V1 or V2 EMS, AEM will give you 40% off list price on an Infinity as a trade-up. Just something to consider. Saw you mentioned E85, I run it on my KA-T, but you need the right setup for it.
How much of a power increase going from the JWT to the standalone? My AFR's with the JWT ecu are in the high 10's to low 11's. I heard the timing map is really conservative which is where you lose out on the power and torque.

I would love to go with the new AEM, but I just don't want to spend that kind of cash right now. I was only supposed to do one mod and now I'm technically doing three(cams, manifold, fuel/ecu) lol

I called JWT and they charge $100 for the reflash and $250 for an on-site dyno tune to dial it all in. They are very close to me so I may just do that with some Nismo 740's.