Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #31
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte EXE View Post
Anyone here tow with the newer Tundras? I see them come left and right at my dealership with no issues at all, but wondering how they do with towing things?

The prices on them are going down a bit now too with the earlier models IE 07. But maybe the V8 06+ 4Runners or the older generation Tundras with the V8.
I've towed with the 5.9 a bunch of times. Open trailers, enclosed trailers, through the grapevine and what not. No problems.

Shit's like butter. I just wish the japanese companies would try to get into the diesel game.

A turbo diesel tundra would be the best truck on earth.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #32
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
the thread is a cool idea.

i use a lifted 2006 v6 4wd tacoma on 35s (not re-geared). it struggles a lot. uses an entire tank of gas to go 200miles. (my house to WSIR, door to door)

otherwise, i use my dads 2001 extended 15pass. E350 v10 van. works great and doubles as a sleeper.
More pics of Tacoma?

I use my parents Titan, it does fine with a full trailer and 4 people in the truck.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #33
alexanderig
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
alexanderig is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Shit's like butter. I just wish the japanese companies would try to get into the diesel game.

this would be pretty sweet. I've always admired the tundra
alexanderig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #34
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
I've towed with the 5.9 a bunch of times. Open trailers, enclosed trailers, through the grapevine and what not. No problems.

Nissan and Chrysler were in talks a few years ago about setting something up where they would both use Cummins. Kinda wish that would have happened.

But in all honesty if i had the money i'd go 05 Silverado with a Cummins hooked up to the Allison. Bullet proof on both ends and looks the best out of that era of trucks.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
aled is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Here's my setup.

251,000 mile 6.8L V10 Excursion.
Replaced the transmission at 250k, other than that the only other expensive engine service was 10 Coils/Plugs.
I just use the Timbren kit which replaces the rear bumpstops with an air bag. I also added a Rancho steering stabilizer and that made a HUGE difference.

Trailer: 1,799 lbs.
Car: 2,600 lbs.
Payload: who knows, usually have 8 wheels, jacks, tools, etc, then 4-5 people too.

This thing does amazing.
City: 10 MPG
HWY: 13 MPG

HWY/Towing: 11 MPG. Costs about $120 to fill up. Whenever I stop working on my stupid Nissan, I'm going to buy a wrecked 7.3 Excursion and swap it in here.
aled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #36
axiomatik
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Still have the Expedition in my sig. '97 4.6L, 2WD, with 192k on the clock. It towed my coupe from Cali to Iowa (over 1,900 miles, over the Rockies) and from Iowa to Georgia (800 miles, over the Appalachians) no sweat. Plus it has air suspension in the rear so it doesn't sag.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #37
alexanderig
Zilvia Addict

i considered getting an explorer but after my research i decided to go diesel. i was hoping to pick something up this weekend but work owns me
Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
I don't know how anyone could own a gasser Excursion.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #39
Gino

Gino is an unknown quantity at this point

i also like to stick with nissans the titan will be blacked out either tomorrow or the next warm day we have next week. I have 6 cans of plastidip just waiting for all the chrome (front and rear bumper, grill, emblems, door handles, mirror covers) and the wheels

I believe that trailer is about 1200lbs, and my Z at that point was probably around 3200 or so. Titan handles it no problem. Probably estimate it was about 11mpg when towing. I've been averaging about 16mpg on the highway and around 12 in stop and go. The Titan is an 06 LE with towing package (around 9500lb tow rating). Only mod right now is a K&N CAI kit.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #40
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Our race trailer... tows anything we need... the 240, sprint cars, etc. On a race day it has plenty of room for a 4wheeler sprint car, full size toolbox,cabinets, enough spare parts to build another car, everything.

F350 dually tows it.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #41
alexanderig
Zilvia Addict

What year f350?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #42
xoxide
Post Whore!

03 im pretty sure...
Old 02-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #43
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
The Titan is an 06 LE with towing package (around 9500lb tow rating). Only mod right now is a K&N CAI kit.
I've never seen a Big Tow Titan without the mirrors. Why doesn't your Titan have the tow package mirrors?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #44
Gino

Gino is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I've never seen a Big Tow Titan without the mirrors. Why doesn't your Titan have the tow package mirrors?
you know what, I actually didn't know until you said that...my truck does NOT have big tow, just a factory installed hitch/7 pin connector...the truck was advertised with towing package- I always thought big tow was a different package than a normal towing package, but after researching the big tow is the ONLY package....well shit, fucking dealership...but I guess I should have done some extra research when I bought it. I guess now I have to find a wrecked Titan with BT and get the rear for the lower gears.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #45
innovation
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
innovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So I'm raising a thread back from the dead and I am really dumb when it comes to trucks. I've inherited an '89 toyota pick up 2wd and I'd like to lift it. Now I really don't intend to offroad, I hate just how pathetic the little truck looks. Maybe some beefier tires to give it some of its "TRUCK" back

Now I don't know anything in regards to lifting trucks and would appreciate any help that points me in the right direction

Obligatory picture of my truck.

innovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #46
xoxide
Post Whore!

Depending on your budget, just get a 4-6 inch lift kit for it, and some beefier wheels/tires. Should look pretty good then. Heres a couple kits:
Toyota suspension lift kits by Rough Country, Skyjacker
Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #47
driftracerx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
driftracerx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovation View Post
So I'm raising a thread back from the dead and I am really dumb when it comes to trucks. I've inherited an '89 toyota pick up 2wd and I'd like to lift it. Now I really don't intend to offroad, I hate just how pathetic the little truck looks. Maybe some beefier tires to give it some of its "TRUCK" back

Now I don't know anything in regards to lifting trucks and would appreciate any help that points me in the right direction
]
dude i envy you man , that is a nice truck . i had a 91 toyota pick that my sister unfortunately wrecked for me .. best dam truck i ever owned dam near bulletproof
driftracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #48
innovation
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
innovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah it's alright, its a 4-speed. I really wish it was an SR5 4x4, but you make the best with what you got =)
innovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #49
1on1
Post Whore!

1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
My question is for flat towing

I have a 91 ls400 which I purchased as a daily awhile back but it has been sitting due to smog. I plan on getting it back up and running soon so I can use it to flat tow my s14. I read through numerous threads about towing with an ls400 and the conclusion comes down to:

If towing more than 2,000lbs, a tranny cooler is a must.

My question, have any of you or know anyone who has used their ls400 to tow their car to Willow Springs?

*If stopping power is going to be an issue, I know there's a tutorial to install 95+ ls400 brakes since they use a larger caliper/brake pad.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #50
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The Truck/Tow slut thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post

My question, have any of you or know anyone who has used their ls400 to tow their car to Willow Springs?

*If stopping power is going to be an issue, I know there's a tutorial to install 95+ ls400 brakes since they use a larger caliper/brake pad.

Rent a Uhaul. $70 a day and they have trailer brakes.

Trans coolers are like $100 and stupid easy to install. Flush the trans while your at it.

Last edited by Corbic; 08-06-2014 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: fix
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #51
1on1
Post Whore!

1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Thank you for your input Corbic and I will consider your suggestion. Yes, transmission coolers are not expensive as well, so I plan on purchasing a larger cooler for my use. Hopefully, enough to tow my car up and down the west coast.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #52
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
2007 Tacoma Pre-runner 2wd tows my Carson 16ft dovetail trailer and S14. Its near its tow capacity but have no problems going to WSIR from the valley.
Maiku240sxS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #53
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Anybody up for a revival in this thread?
Let's see those tow rig setups!
Post your truck, trailer, car, bus, helicopter.
Whatever you use to hit the drift events with your gear!

Picked this up last month, first truck I've ever owned. 1996 F350 7.3t Powerstroke CCLB Dually.
195k miles, payed 4 thousand for it. Really didn't need a truck this large, or a diesel, or a dually.
But for the price it seemed stupid not to buy it. Would much rather have a 2000's Chevy 1500 lol.
Guess I can just put a for sale sign on it and try to flip it?

Last edited by TheRealSy90; 09-11-2017 at 11:51 PM..
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #54
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I bought a '16 Chevy Colorado turbo diesel about a year ago. I typically avg 25mpg with mixed driving for daily use, I also have seen 32-35mpg with pure highway driving. For it'll do 15-22mpg depending on the type of driving. Have towed 86s, gs300s, 240s, etc. with a open trailer, all seems to net about the same mpg. I've been reading about some who deleted emissions from their diesel colorados and typically net 30-40mpg.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #55
souljaseth33
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
souljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to souljaseth33
This is my current truck. 2014 Silverado 1500 w/5.3.

Previously had a 2004 Silverado 1500 w/5.3

Next truck I've been looking at is an F150 ecoboost 3.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
souljaseth33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #56
stylo1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
stylo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My 99 F350. Has near 300,000 Miles and still tows whatever I need. Gets great mileage as well.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #57
NJs13_1993
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
NJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
My 95 k2500 6.5 diesel, almost 320k on it now and it tows this big ass trailer great

NJs13_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #58
mogli9000
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (68)
mogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
The Tow Pig

Never really off of the trailer

Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually

Custom hydraulic lift trailer
- custom race ramps
- warn 15k winch
- modified trailer fenders
- added warning lights and light bar mounted to the custom clam shell

Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #59
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Yes. This thread is sweet.

Nothing fancy here. But enough to party.

'03 Chevy 2500 (6.0L gas), ext cab, long bed. Great truck, very reliable, tows fine, just sucks down gas.

Homebuilt trailer was made by some middle-of-nowhere dudes for their circle track cars. I bought it from them on Craigslist. Hubs are hard mounted to the frame to get the deck height suuuuper low. Makes loading/unloading a breeze compared to a giant dovetailed full axle trailer. The tires are the trailer's only suspension, so it's a bit bouncy unloaded, but pulls very smoothly with a car strapped on.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:25 AM   #60
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
Homebuilt trailer was made by some middle-of-nowhere dudes for their circle track cars. I bought it from them on Craigslist. Hubs are hard mounted to the frame to get the deck height suuuuper low. Makes loading/unloading a breeze compared to a giant dovetailed full axle trailer. The tires are the trailer's only suspension, so it's a bit bouncy unloaded, but pulls very smoothly with a car strapped on.

Hey man, whenever you want to make copies of that trailer for everyone else then lemme know where to send the money.

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote