Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:25 AM   #1
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Nismotronic Coolant Temp

I recently purchased a Nismotronic ECU for my KA-T build and will be running it soon. I'm wanting to run oil pressure and coolant temp the the ADC inputs. My question is with the coolant temp. Do I need an aftermarket temp sensor or will the oem sensor give an accurate reading? If I need an aftermarket sensor, Do I need to run it to an ADC input or can I run it through the oem cts input, disconnecting the oem cts from the system?

Also, if I need an aftermarket sensor, what is a suitable sensor? I've heard of people using GM sensors(TX3 I believe is the part #), would that work in this case since I'll need to input a voltage chart into the settings for whatever sensor is used?

Thank you guys for the help.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nemu will translate factory temp sensor to actual value. No need to change sensor or wiring.
What pressure sensor for oil are you going to use? I've been trying to figure that one out.

Have you opened the Nismotronics software on the computer. In the sensor tab there isn't one for oil pressure but any 0-5v sensor I believe works.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
OnTheChip
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
OnTheChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant temp is already a stock input to the ECU, no extra sensor needed. Oil pressure sensor that outputs 0-5V can be connected directly to an ADC input.
OnTheChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Nemu will translate factory temp sensor to actual value. No need to change sensor or wiring.
What pressure sensor for oil are you going to use? I've been trying to figure that one out.

Have you opened the Nismotronics software on the computer. In the sensor tab there isn't one for oil pressure but any 0-5v sensor I believe works.
I have not connected to it but was planning to hook it up this week. As for oil pressure sensor, I'll be trying to use a VDO type sender
Old 04-25-2017, 01:58 AM   #5
bfellini
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
bfellini is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Where are you planning on plumbing the oil pressure sensor into?
If you're replacing the stock oil pressure switch on the block, then I would recommend a 1/8 BSPT pressure sensor with a known calibration curve... these are readily available from overseas vendors for standalones (New Zealand/Austraila, Haltech/Motec/Link, etc)...
I would honestly shy away from direct mounting a 1/8 NPT sensor with a BSPT adaptor to the block, unless you remote mount the NPT sensor with some suitable hose (AN -3) between the engine and sensor... Ive seen too many engines damaged by a steel or brass BSPT-to-NPT adapter failing from vibration.
Briefly looking at TunerCodeSA, Oil Pressure is not used for any calcs, and I assume only available as a logged channel for what it's worth.

As for the factory ECT sensor (2-wire for the ecu) Nismotronic has a stock calibration already
bfellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
OnTheChip
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
OnTheChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NismotronicSA has programmable outputs (including the CEL or MIL) and/or a rev limiter that can be controlled by any voltage range of an ADC input. So you could have the CEL turn on at say 20psi oil pressure and a rev limiter set to 2500rpm below 15psi, for example.
OnTheChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
The Z32 has an oil pressure sensor and fits in the stock oil pressure switch location. You might be able to feed pin 1 to the Nismotronic input and pin 2 would go to the stock dummy light in your cluster.

The Kouki S14 SR has the same sensor since an Oil Pressure gauge was an optional part.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote