Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
SterlingZ

Trader Rating: (0)
SterlingZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 1993 300Z NA - No Crank

New to the forum so please forgive any blunders on my part.

Here's the situation:

My manual '93 300Z NA wont crank. This just happened one day when I drive it to work, back home, and was going to take it out that evening. In the past there had been moments where it would do something similar, but would eventually crank and start up.

When I insert the key and turn to the armed position, all lights come on and are showing good. Even connected my OBD reader and checked the electrical and it shows that electrically it looks good. When I turn to start...nada. Headlights don't dim and starter doesn't crank. I can hear the relay in the drivers wheel-well click, but no power is getting to the starter. The security light will flash twice and that's it.

I have replaced:
Starter
Ignition relay
Ignition switch
Wiring

I have checked/removed/replaced:
Security module
Security fuses
clutch switch
battery terminals and wiring

I am at a loss at this point. I have no idea what is left to look at to correct this problem, so hopefully the greater community has some knowledge of what is going on.

Thank you in advance!
SterlingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
nfz

nfz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey I know its been months but did you get it fixed?? If so what did you do? My car recently did the same thing. I went to school, came back, my bro was going to take the car and it didnt want to crank. Two days later It cranked and ran fine. Its been working but I dont want it to do it again. thanks!
nfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
SterlingZ

SterlingZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey NFZ,

Yeah...too long had passed so I went with the simplest and cheapest of solutions that would guarantee I wouldn't have this issue with this car again.

Since I had replaced all the components that may have been troublesome, I guessed on it being the wiring. I know there are a couple of connectors in the ignition wiring behind the dash, but since I didn't want to go looking for them and mess up the dash I opted to run new wiring.

It turned out to be the negative wiring to the starter, so I basically purchased 12ga wire from the local auto parts store and ran a direct line from the battery to the starter. Once done, the beast roared to life once again and I have been driving without issue this since.

If this works for you...awesome!

If not...there's more to your situation than wiring and since yours is intermittent it would be harder to trace.

Best of luck!
SterlingZ is offline   Reply With Quote