Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
LilRebel57
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
LilRebel57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Transmission question

I'm going to be buying a new trans soon and was wondering if it ends up having some worn out gears or syncros, can I just use a KA rebuild kit? Or a will they not fit in there correctly? Any guidance from people more experienced with this is appreciated
LilRebel57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (62)
Rb26kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 62 reviews
SR Transmission question

Just buy a 350z trans with a conversion kit and never have to worry about doing anything to it
It will cost you the same if you rebuild a SR/KA trans
Rb26kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
rightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb26kouki View Post
Just buy a 350z trans with a conversion kit and never have to worry about doing anything to it
It will cost you the same if you rebuild a SR/KA trans
pretty sure you have to make clearance for it though.
Z32 5 speed works too (with adapter).
SR and KA trans are the same apart from the bell housing i believe so youd have to swap that part.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Well I thought it was that easy just to buy any 350z or G35 tranny, but this isn't true either
You have to get the cd009 transmission which had better synchros and gears. That came on very specific cars and years.

At this point, I just given up because there are cd008, cd001, cd006 and even 5 speed trannies and all the junk in between... How do you check which tranny? You have to get the vin and run the vin through z1motorsports or someone who has a nissan part number database....

yeah wish it was that easy... BUT if you do end up with a CD009 tranny, then you can get the mazworx adapter and its almost straight bolt on. If you get a z32 5 speed tranny, then that is more like a cut and weld bell housing first then bolt on.... NOT as easy either. All Z32 and CD009 tranny will go into the tunnel.

Here is another tip. If you get a z32 tranny, don't get the one with the bolt on flywheel spacer, that wobbles a little or goes on crooked and you are in a bad situation....

SO down to the question you want answer to. If you get a SR tranny or KA, there are two rebuild kits. One with and one without a reverse synchro. Which one you need? You won't have any idea until you crack it open. Also if have a SR tranny, you also need to source some baulk rings from an xterra as well on top of the KA rebuild kit.

Good luck. I recently did a lot of research on this.... for the rebuild, here is a good reference thread....

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=417958&page=2
Old 08-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
LilRebel57
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
LilRebel57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Well I thought it was that easy just to buy any 350z or G35 tranny, but this isn't true either
You have to get the cd009 transmission which had better synchros and gears. That came on very specific cars and years.

At this point, I just given up because there are cd008, cd001, cd006 and even 5 speed trannies and all the junk in between... How do you check which tranny? You have to get the vin and run the vin through z1motorsports or someone who has a nissan part number database....

yeah wish it was that easy... BUT if you do end up with a CD009 tranny, then you can get the mazworx adapter and its almost straight bolt on. If you get a z32 5 speed tranny, then that is more like a cut and weld bell housing first then bolt on.... NOT as easy either. All Z32 and CD009 tranny will go into the tunnel.

Here is another tip. If you get a z32 tranny, don't get the one with the bolt on flywheel spacer, that wobbles a little or goes on crooked and you are in a bad situation....

SO down to the question you want answer to. If you get a SR tranny or KA, there are two rebuild kits. One with and one without a reverse synchro. Which one you need? You won't have any idea until you crack it open. Also if have a SR tranny, you also need to source some baulk rings from an xterra as well on top of the KA rebuild kit.

Good luck. I recently did a lot of research on this.... for the rebuild, here is a good reference thread....

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=417958&page=2
Thank you so much!
LilRebel57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
https://www.allstategear.com/FS5W71-s/2796.htm

are the SR and KA trans actually the same internally? i thought they were slightly different but can swap the entire assembly to different bellhousings
I think KA is the fs5w71 "c" (can anyone confirm this?

The synchro hubs and sleeves are probably inerchangeable between the two transmissions. unless the sr uses a synchro reverse gear then the 5th hub syncho would be different bewteen the two.

I also heard the Sr trans MIGHT have a different gear ratio. Not 100% sure about this tho

be careful if you take it apart there is a lot of ball bearing and springs that can go flying or fall out and get lost
And the bigger of the two shaft nuts is revearse threaded and i used a 6 point trailer hitch wrench to get it off

Last edited by kyral; 08-21-2017 at 02:10 PM..
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
The gears and synchro sleeves are the same. The baulk ring between ka and sr are different.... Everything else is the same

Last edited by slider2828; 08-21-2017 at 08:19 PM..
slider2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
The gears and synchro's are the same. The baulk ring between ka and sr are different.... Everything else is the same
Baulk rings, these are the synchro rings right? the yellow brass rings with teeth
Old 08-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
Baulk rings, these are the synchro rings right? the yellow brass rings with teeth

Yup!... another way of saying syncrhos....
Old 08-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
The gears and synchro sleeves are the same. The baulk ring between ka and sr are different.... Everything else is the same
there are lots of little differences throughout the trans (KA vs SR), and again through the years. Some SR trans are different from other SR trans, for example. I took apart a couple KA transmissions trying to get parts for an SR trans rebuild and just couldn't find the parts I needed. For example the plate that bolts over the bearings on the front of the transmission was completely different from one to the next. One had an overhang for the reverse gear cut in it that wouldn't fit the next trans. And then theres the forks, some SR trans always break 5th gear fork and need the new 'updated' fork you can't take from a KA trans, it must be purchased.

The SR uses the same baulk ring for 1st as it does for 4th
and it uses the same two between 2nd and 3rd also (it is a two piece design, expensive)
Some have synchronized reverse, some do not.

Currently there is no rebuild kit for SR specific trans. In the past I had to order two 2x KA kits to rebuild 1x SR trans. Now however, I am fairly sure you can order only the pieces you want, you just need to know where they come from (I think its a 98 Xterra transmission that uses the SR baulk rings iirc)
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
there is a 100% solid way to confirm if a z33 trans is cd009 or not, but it does require removing the rear tail shaft of the trans.

I covered it fairly extensively

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blo...rans-shit.html
pix links aren't working but I included the link to fsm below
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/AUT...pe/2005/mt.pdf
disassembly starts on page 26, the critical part is the diagram at the bottom of page 33 (cd008) and the diagram at the top of page 34 (cd009)

they have distinctly different parts (008 is a 2pc cover, 009 is 1pc)

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote