Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
JDM_Tuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (35)
JDM_Tuner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
S14 SR20 Not Starting After Fusebox Relocation

I recently took my s14 down to bare shell, caged it, painted it, and now ive put it all back together and im at the point where it cranks but doesnt fire up. The engine was running perfectly before and the only thing ive changed is the engine bay fse box. IM NOT GETTING POWER TO THE FUEL PUMP, nor the rest of the rear interior harness (meaning pump, tail lights, etc) and im pretty sure im not getting power to the harness behind the dash either. I had a couple buddies come by and try to help me figure this out, all the fuses check out to be fine and we cleaned up every ground inside the car, the main neg. cable, and the two grounds on the intake manifold, so i dont think its a ground issue but i could be missing one or two that i dont know of.

During the rebuild of the car I did relocate the engine bay fuse box to under the dash but i only extended the headlight, fan, and bmc wires to reach the front end, everything else is stock and was not touched, just routed through the firewall. So i dont know if that could be the issue, but nothing has shorted out that i know of so i think my wiring is good, unless theres an open wire that i missed when soldering and not getting power, but idk.

Also this may or not be related but if i turn the key to acc and then back, a second or two later theres a distinct click, not sure what thats from.

Ive searched alot online and i cant find a similar enough thread to get some info from, But any info or insight you guys can give me is appreciated.

Thanks
JDM_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Silviasurfer

Trader Rating: (1)
Silviasurfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
there are 2 points where the original fuse box need to be connected to a +ve source, one comes fron the battery and the other off the alternater, as the fuse box seperates into 3 sections 2 of which have an accomidation for the +ve one of the batt and off the alternater, ensure that both have been satisfied......... mike
Silviasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
JDM_Tuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah im pretty sure both are good, i mean i plugged in every connector/ground that i know has to be plugged in, theres a few connectors that im not using but i removed a lot of unnecessary stuff like a/c, radio, sunroof, etc. so theres no where to plug them in anyways.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Silviasurfer

ok put a tester to the ignition wire on the alternater, on the coil pac, when the ignition is on, means ignition shouldent be a problem, test the direct voltage to the starter, coil packs and i think the air flow or the crank angle sensor has ignition current as well, once all these check out i would think that the harness is not the issue, maye be low battery voltage, or a ground on the fuse box as well as the engine a grounding kit is a nice investment later down the road.......I did 2 of these relocators on a s14 and a s15 with no issue, as i am looking at your build pretty nice car there.........
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Silviasurfer

or might i add this happened once..... check if the coil packs are properly grounded on the back of the head, maybe on reassembly u forgot it, it happaned already and sadly its just a stupid single wire on the coil pack harness that caused that.......... hope that helps
Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
JDM_Tuner
Zilvia FREAK!

ok ill test those voltages tomorrow and update the thread. and im pretty sure the ground on the back of the head is on, ill sand it alittle and try it again. thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
When i did it, i cross plugged the hazard and the ignition, same god dam plug.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Taylor008
Leaky Injector

Taylor008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Grab a multimeter and get testing.

Do your dummy lights come on the dash when you turn the key to 'on'?
Taylor008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
HIGHFIVEBETA
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
HIGHFIVEBETA is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Definately check your hot wires, especially the ones routing to the passenger fuse panel which is the power source for the rear lights, fuel pump, etc. It believe it's a white/green wire or a white/blue wire and check the fuses. It's ONLY 1 wire supplying power to it so it shouldn't be rocket science. Take pics of your setup and post them.
HIGHFIVEBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
JDM_Tuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
When i did it, i cross plugged the hazard and the ignition, same god dam plug.
Would it still crank over if i did the same?

edit* i checked today, thats not my problem, you got my hopes up though

Last edited by JDM_Tuner; 05-15-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
JDM_Tuner
Zilvia FREAK!

ok so i used the multimeter today and found that im not getting power to the driver side fuse box, which explains how i dont have power to the rear harness nor the other stuff explained in the first post. I did find that these two wires were recieving 12.xx volts with the key to acc but arent plugged in, so...

Edit* so those two wires go into the back of the driver side interior fusebox, I feel like an idiot but it runs now thanks for the replies.

Last edited by JDM_Tuner; 05-15-2012 at 05:16 PM..
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Silviasurfer

Glad to hear your project is up and running
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
ROULETTE77

Trader Rating: (0)
ROULETTE77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This picture helped me so much !!!

This picture helped me so much !!! still a newb so(haters ok)
I Still NEED HELP ,

I'm building a
sr20det swap, s14 red wc to a 69 datsunfairlady2000,
jdm main harness with oG jdm gge stock cluster stock ECU,

JDMstock s14 Main harness: removed depinned for almost everything {evac, ac,wipers, seats,climate,smart cont. unit, abs,doors mirrors, SMJ }
so both fuse boxes de-boxed and guts are side by in the dash.

from the eng fuse box i have one w/blue wire that was cut and the interior fuse box has bare copper connections on the back ...where a plug would go.
i only have one big wire, white wire with the blue stripe coming from the big fuse box (75 amp fuse). it looks like the picture shows it plugs into my fuse box . but the Plug has 2 wires ???? help i only have one, the second wire in the plug looks to have a blue stripe ??? help

I also the quad plug in the picture...
i have a smaller white wire with green stripe, (45 amp from big box too), i see this would lead to the quad plug shown in the picture, its on the fsm but i cant find what it does in the fuse box ? ?

any body know what the other 4 wires are in the quad plug ??

can I just solder these together 2 fused wires to their respected connectors? is it better to use proper connectors and just shrink wrap in place of having plugs ??

thanks for any help

77R77
ROULETTE77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #14
GANBATTE

GANBATTE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_Tuner View Post
Edit* so those two wires go into the back of the driver side interior fusebox, I feel like an idiot but it runs now thanks for the replies.
Glad to hear you found the problem, thanks for posting what it was. Sometimes I take a FSM and on the back pages they have G/NG voltage tests for every harness in the bay. I usually start there and work my way back.

I used to scratch build harnesses for friends back in the day, so really rusty but voltmeter never lies.
GANBATTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
songgsan

songgsan is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah im pretty sure both are good
songgsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
ROULETTE77

ROULETTE77 is an unknown quantity at this point
big wires :so are you saying to run the single big white and blue wire to both of leads of the big plug

smaller wire :are you saying , just connect the white and green wire to the one of the 4 leads that the quad plug leads into.
ROULETTE77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:53 AM   #17
Salivabuildnz

Salivabuildnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Edit* so those two wires go into the back of the driver side interior fusebox, I feel like an idiot but it runs now thanks for the replies.[/QUOTE]

Sorry which wires are these as my phone won’t let me open the picture, I feel as though I’m chasing the same problem. I can’t seem to power up the fuse box under the dash, I bought the car with the loom out and it seems as though the previous owner started a battery relocation of some form.
Salivabuildnz is offline   Reply With Quote