Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Fishyfish
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Fishyfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Advice?! haha

so im kinda at a cross roads in my life right now... I'm either going to technical school or go to formal college and eventually get a business degree.
i love cars and I'm not really as good or as interested as i am in cars.
i have high aspirations but I'm kind of lazy sometimes...sometimes I'm stoned haha...
but regardless i think the right decision would be to go to formal college but
i just dislike school...idk.
Need some real advice, NO HATERS PLEASE. (for the haters).
HELP ME OUT YO
Fishyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
slw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slw240sx
engineering school. point blank if you want to be in a good job market in the future this is where it will be for a while. tech schools will often cost as much or more then a 4 year school and you will come out wondering what you just paid for.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Fishyfish
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the comment...i considered engineering, however I'm just horrible at math haha. but good to know about the tech school...ill be paying for it so i def don't want to waste my $$$. thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Nkelley
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (10)
Nkelley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Go to school for something that will make you money, and there is a demand for. Going to school to live out your hobby isnt going to make you happy when your making 12$ an hour and the market is flooded with a thousand guys in the same shoes.
Nkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
It all depends on you.
If you know the type of guy you are, then you know if you can choose your love, and be successful.
Or if you need to play it safe, hate your job, but it pays the bills and your love becomes your hobby.

"Its better to have a short life, that is full of what you like doing, then a long life spent in a miserable way."
But that works for me, and not many.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
stop getting stoned
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
1990 sr hatch
Zilvia Member

1990 sr hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
LOL i have to type more tan ten letters to say LOL
1990 sr hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
First of all, don't do something you'll be miserable doing the rest of you're life. Personally I'd rather have a decent job that I enjoy and can wake up to everyday than having a job that pays a shit load of money but that I don't want to get up in the morning.

as for technical school, most of then rip you off and some degrees are actually "invalid" or don't help you get a job.

for formal college is time consuming but I guess it's worth it since you probably will study something you like. Oh and, if you go to a 4 year college, don't be afraid to switch majors until you find what YOU feel it's right for you. related to what I said before, I'd rather waste a year in college than graduate with a degree that I don't like. Now I'm not saying to stay in school switching around major for 10 years and then decide.

Now a cheaper and possible more rewarding route would be a community college. most have auto mechanic and body shop classes that you can take and get some dregree from the community college, I believe it's an AA. personally I think this one is better than technical school since it's cheaper, possible better job possibility although it might take longer.

BUT this is something YOU, YES YOU!!!!! have to decide by yourself, since YOU will be stuck with the decision the rest of your life!!!!

Good luck with what ever you decide!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
Fishyfish
Leaky Injector

Quote:
thanks for the positive feedback
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
Fishyfish
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluevanos01 View Post
First of all, don't do something you'll be miserable doing the rest of you're life. Personally I'd rather have a decent job that I enjoy and can wake up to everyday than having a job that pays a shit load of money but that I don't want to get up in the morning.

as for technical school, most of then rip you off and some degrees are actually "invalid" or don't help you get a job.

for formal college is time consuming but I guess it's worth it since you probably will study something you like. Oh and, if you go to a 4 year college, don't be afraid to switch majors until you find what YOU feel it's right for you. related to what I said before, I'd rather waste a year in college than graduate with a degree that I don't like. Now I'm not saying to stay in school switching around major for 10 years and then decide.

Now a cheaper and possible more rewarding route would be a community college. most have auto mechanic and body shop classes that you can take and get some dregree from the community college, I believe it's an AA. personally I think this one is better than technical school since it's cheaper, possible better job possibility although it might take longer.

BUT this is something YOU, YES YOU!!!!! have to decide by yourself, since YOU will be stuck with the decision the rest of your life!!!!

Good luck with what ever you decide!
yea I've been thinking about community college. my local one has an auto body and i believe a mechanic program too
Old 11-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
"tech" school is a waste of time and money unless you're in the chassis design and fab program. All the stuff they teach can be learned in community college auto classes, for a fraction of the cost, or just by getting a entry level job at a good shop and apprenticing under some good mechanics. The downside is, most hands-on mechanics top out at $50-60k a year. Yes there are exceptions, but it's a pretty Limited ceiling. Now, if you go to real college and get a degree as an engineer or something, your STARTING pay will be closer to $60-70k a year, and you can still be in your garage in your free time.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
"tech" school is a waste of time and money unless you're in the chassis design and fab program. All the stuff they teach can be learned in community college auto classes, for a fraction of the cost, or just by getting a entry level job at a good shop and apprenticing under some good mechanics. The downside is, most hands-on mechanics top out at $50-60k a year. Yes there are exceptions, but it's a pretty Limited ceiling. Now, if you go to real college and get a degree as an engineer or something, your STARTING pay will be closer to $60-70k a year, and you can still be in your garage in your free time.
I work in the automotive industry- this is incorrect for the Midwest.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
Rag
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Rag is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rag
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
I work in the automotive industry, this advice is spot on at least for the general tri state area.
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #15
jesse_s13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
jesse_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
First off I went to tech school UTI (Nissan). Within a month I dropped out that particular school because it seemed like it was a scam.

After that I enrolled in real college for automotive.
I got a job working on military vehicles and it was great but what I quickly realized is that my hobby working on cars (240's) soon was gone and I began to hate it.

I changed my major to criminal justice. I was looking to get out of the automotive field.

In my personal opinion unless your really really good you can make money. Dealers are cut throat places to work and most shops are cheap asses. (Based on my previous exp.) Im looking to make a decent amount when I graduate and become an LEO or Agent. Where a technician can only make so much.

Moral of the story my Hobby turned me down the wrong career path. Luckily I woke up and get out. Most people I know are still doing the same thing making $12hr.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag View Post
I work in the automotive industry, this advice is spot on at least for the general tri state area.
I didn't realize there was an automotive industry in New Jersey.

Your typical grease monkey makes $10-$15 an hour. Their pay is heavily based on their actual logged job hours. The better you are the more jobs you can complete - so in a 40 hour work week you may bang out 60 hours of business. Master Techs at dealerships will often be straight salary and can be very well compensated, but these are often people with full educational backgrounds, certification and years (ie decades) of experience.

Being a Mechanic is a blue collared "skilled trades" job. This is very different then being an an "Engineer" - which BTW there are dozens of different types.

For the Big 3, who still have not refilled their ranks to pre-2006 levels, an out of college Engineer from Purdue, Michigan State, ect can expect to make... nothing. They often have internship programs you can do your senior and post graduate summers which pay $0-10 an hour. If you can shine you'll get an entry level job if something is available. These jobs pay $40-50k a year. Obviously over the years you'll be able to move up the food chain but you won't get past $80k as a "straight engineer". The people making that money are in decision making positions and are not doing hands-on engineering anymore -they are managing resources, people and projects.

OP if you really are a lazy, no direction stoner who sucks at math and has a shit attention span - Engineering is not a job for you. It requires extreme levels of organization, attention to detail and dry information memorization. You'll need remember all the various specs of coatings, metal types, GD&T, safety specs, industry standard crap, fastener nomenclature, torque requirements.... on and on.

You'll need to be able to articulate why X-weld code was used in place of Y-weld code. You'll need to stare at a computer for hours and will find your self constantly going back to the same drawing or design making revisions to satisfy suppliers, manufacturing, assembly and accountants.

It is something you have to REALLY want to do... and if your on the internetz asking people cause you have no direction, then it's a safe bet you won't like it. If you don't like being in a 90 minute math class - then you are not going to want to sit in a 6 hour QAP meeting, even if you are being paid $30 an hour.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_s13 View Post
First off I went to tech school UTI (Nissan). Within a month I dropped out that particular school because it seemed like it was a scam.

After that I enrolled in real college for automotive.
I got a job working on military vehicles and it was great but what I quickly realized is that my hobby working on cars (240's) soon was gone and I began to hate it.

I changed my major to criminal justice. I was looking to get out of the automotive field.

In my personal opinion unless your really really good you can make money. Dealers are cut throat places to work and most shops are cheap asses. (Based on my previous exp.) Im looking to make a decent amount when I graduate and become an LEO or Agent. Where a technician can only make so much.

Moral of the story my Hobby turned me down the wrong career path. Luckily I woke up and get out. Most people I know are still doing the same thing making $12hr.

Man, you are all a matter of screwed. Stop listing to the TV adds. Here is the cool thing about the CJS - they don't give a fuck if you are a college graduate. Few jobs require a degree - some LEO departments are now requiring college, but servants and prison guards still don't - and they all pay shit.

LEO's that do pay good are often laying off anymore instead of hiring and it really is a more "who you know" enrollment policy.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Corbic
Post Whore!

OP - In all seriousness - move out of your mom's basement and get a real job. Stop wasting money on booze and weed, stop playing video games and watching Netflix.

If you are a hands-on guy and want to make more then $12 an hour, learn to weld. Take two classes at your local trade school, get certified and go to work at any of the area job-shops. They normally pay $12-18 an hour for competent welders.

Do this for a few years, then go back to school when you realize you actually want more, have a plan and are willing to work to get there.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
jesse_s13
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Man, you are all a matter of screwed. Stop listing to the TV adds. Here is the cool thing about the CJS - they don't give a fuck if you are a college graduate. Few jobs require a degree - some LEO departments are now requiring college, but servants and prison guards still don't - and they all pay shit.

LEO's that do pay good are often laying off anymore instead of hiring and it really is a more "who you know" enrollment policy.
Interesting you say that federal agency's are always trying to recruit so is CHP.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Interesting you say that federal agency's are always trying to recruit so is CHP.
By Federal I presume you mean Boarder Patrol and Prisons.

Fuck being a Correctional Officer, and you better learn Spanish if you want a chance to work for the BP.

As for CHP, that's California, a different country as far as I'm concerned. I know the entire state of Nevada had no openings and Washington State was not going to start reviewing potential candidates until 2013 March.

Indiana, Illinois and Michigan have all been laying off and cutting salaries to officers.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
MorganS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MorganS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
For the Big 3, who still have not refilled their ranks to pre-2006 levels, an out of college Engineer from Purdue, Michigan State, ect can expect to make... nothing. They often have internship programs you can do your senior and post graduate summers which pay $0-10 an hour. If you can shine you'll get an entry level job if something is available. These jobs pay $40-50k a year. Obviously over the years you'll be able to move up the food chain but you won't get past $80k as a "straight engineer". The people making that money are in decision making positions and are not doing hands-on engineering anymore -they are managing resources, people and projects.
You are focusing in on a small segment of the market. What you are claiming *may* be true for the Big 3 at this moment, but it is simply not true for all auto manufacturers in the US. Also, the vast majority of the hiring is done through suppliers. $60-70k is most definitely a realistic salary for an engineer starting out in the auto industry nowadays (yes, in the midwest).

You can easily get past $80k as an engineer nowadays as well. Granted it may take 10+ years, but it was not anything unusual in my experience with several companies. Most engineers I know who switched roles simply got bored/fed up with their current position and wanted a change.

BTW OP, you would be doing yourself a great service learning the "blue collar" portion of the industry prior to becoming an engineer. My advice would be to work part-time while getting your pre-req's out of the way.
MorganS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
MorganS13
Zilvia Addict

MorganS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfish View Post
so im kinda at a cross roads in my life right now... I'm either going to technical school or go to formal college and eventually get a business degree.
i have high aspirations but I'm kind of lazy sometimes...sometimes I'm stoned haha...
but regardless i think the right decision would be to go to formal college but
i just dislike school...idk.
Need some real advice, NO HATERS PLEASE. (for the haters).
HELP ME OUT YO
Honestly, nowadays it is more versatile going the business route unless you have a strong passion for a certain trade. I have always had a strong passion for cars, but building them for a living was starting to take the enjoyment out of building my own.

If you can get some motivation, start taking pre-req's for a 4-year degree, and then focus in on the specific role you see yourself 5 years down the road.
MorganS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
jesse_s13
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
By Federal I presume you mean Boarder Patrol and Prisons.

Fuck being a Correctional Officer, and you better learn Spanish if you want a chance to work for the BP.

As for CHP, that's California, a different country as far as I'm concerned. I know the entire state of Nevada had no openings and Washington State was not going to start reviewing potential candidates until 2013 March.

Indiana, Illinois and Michigan have all been laying off and cutting salaries to officers.
Have you applied for BP? I have its easy as long as you have common sense and a clean background.

Sorry for shitting on op thread
Old 11-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Have you applied for BP? I have its easy as long as you have common sense and a clean background.

Sorry for shitting on op thread
...did you get hired?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Stop talking about engineering, he already said he is bad at math so that is out of the question.

OP, I would not recommend doing Tech school, if you are gonna work on your own car anyway, you don't need to do it everyday for somebody else. If working on cars is the only thing that makes you happy, then maybe forget what I said. Biz school is great and not very difficult or math intensive and will be a more solid starting platform for career development than Tech school.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
stop getting stoned and then make your decision.
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #27
1jzjoey
Zilvia Junkie

1jzjoey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
dafuq did i just read?
1jzjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #28
Davidna2fi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
Davidna2fi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Ok I'll chime in here since ppl are talking about working at a plant or doing welding for industrial companies. I am a contractor that works onsite at Exxonmobil and do all fabrication and repairs of storage tanks for any product, I know how much our welders make and other jobs. This is in Texas... The starting pay for a regular plate welder (just welds seams on the floors of tanks) is $18 an hour with a lot of overtime pay. The top welder earns $32 an hour plus time and a half over time (Stick welding 2 inch thick tank walls and Tig aluminum welding). So roughly about $1,500 a week before taxes... not bad eh? (but no life) Superintendents make an average of $30-40 an hour. This is just simple tank construction that is just one large fab project. There are other positions, but starting out with zero exp, and a good interview and you can get $15 starting. For the past 3 months average hours ppl were at work each week were about 65-80 hrs a week for 3 months straight... it's hard work, but it's simple and you meet a lot of people in the process from other companies. I already have a bunch of options on what certs to get to go work for whatever company. I'm not a welder, nor a superintendent, but I make enough with what skills and certs I have, can't complain. The one reason more people don't want to do these hard labor type jobs is because they are very dangerous and honestly have no idea they exist, but if you have a brain and can remember what NOT to do and be careful with what you are doing it's easy. I am lost my desire to even work at a shop for someone else just due to the constant really low pay even at a dealership I felt insulted during an interview I had (walked out actually). Own your own speed shop or automotive service, do it small though, only way to make money is to keep it small if you are starting out.
Davidna2fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #29
Corbic
Post Whore!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
yea I've been thinking about community college. my local one has an auto body and i believe a mechanic program too
You might want to give that a try since it won't be expensive

Quote:
I work in the automotive industry- this is incorrect for the Midwest.
I guess it all depends on the school, My friends brother graduated from UTI and right he he is working at a local restaurant with, what I believe is a 25K + debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LLEST.S13 View Post
dafuq did i just read?
Where's the LIKE button when you need one ahaha