Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
BipolarSloth

Trader Rating: (0)
BipolarSloth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My s13

Well I bought this 240 about half a year ago and haven't had the money to start working on it until now I was looking for some input on modifications besides the five speed swap working on collecting all the parts. The auto transmission that is currently in the car is shot. The car runs sometimes but doesn't go anywhere fast assuming that is the transmission the engine runs fine as far as I can tell the car just won't shift when it should.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292077.417265.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292098.806014.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292108.455617.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292130.571042.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292142.873160.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292160.737589.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292176.581089.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292188.672242.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292209.078561.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398292222.859218.jpg

Couldn't really say no for $900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BipolarSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
Check eBay
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
BipolarSloth

I would rather not buy ebay parts

Old 04-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Do not check ebay.

Check for codes, and see if it's popped the one for transmission control unit, if you would like to try to get it running for the moment.

You should drive it stock until you're quite comfortable with it, before you go changing things.

It's a lot easier to know what's wrong and causing something like a noise, bump, vibration, etc, if it didn't do it before your last modification - if you don't have much experience with the car, you won't know.

And, you can evaluate each mod that way. Just for example, subframe collars or solid bushings make an s13 way louder, you can hear the transmission noise being transmitted into the (stock solid mounted) diff, and you hear and feel all sorts of clunking and backlash in the drivetrain - if you'd never driven the car very hard, this could all seem wrong, you might not even realize that it was just that ten minute, $50 mod. But if you've driven it a bit, know how it responds, what it sounds like, etc, you can troubleshoot and modify with a bit more of a direction (and you can learn to drive it in such a way that your passengers won't demand to walk)
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
BipolarSloth

Well it does run kinda when I first bought it drove it around a little but when I would come to a stop sign or light and try to go again the car would not move put it in park and turn it off and back on it drives again and that's pretty annoying at stop signs or lights

Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BipolarSloth View Post
Well it does run kinda when I first bought it drove it around a little but when I would come to a stop sign or light and try to go again the car would not move put it in park and turn it off and back on it drives again and that's pretty annoying at stop signs or lights

Like, it would rev, but not move?

Is the transmission fluid full? No grinds or anything? You couldn't put it in 1 or 2 directly? Did you try putting it in park without turning off the car? (if only turning off the car would fix it, I'd assume it's the TCU, and the power cycle is resetting it)

Again, I think the first thing you should do is check for codes. It's quite easy, you can find how, and the code meanings, with a quick google search.

Generally, modding something that doesn't already work properly is asking for one disaster after another. Repair, then improve.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
BipolarSloth

Fluids fine and it would rev and not move if I put it into first or second nothing I had to put it in park and restart the car but if the transmission needs do be replaced I'll just wait till I have all the five speed components I was just hoping it might be an easy fix if this happens to a lot of autos to get the car running until I have all the five speed stuff then the mods would start I feel like the engine runs strong now after I fixed the timing

Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
BipolarSloth

But I don't have to much knowledge on cars I'm working on learning along the way

Old 04-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Fluids fine and it would rev and not move if I put it into first or second nothing I had to put it in park and restart the car but if the transmission needs do be replaced I'll just wait till I have all the five speed components I was just hoping it might be an easy fix if this happens to a lot of autos to get the car running until I have all the five speed stuff then the mods would start I feel like the engine runs strong now after I fixed the timing

Check. The. Codes.

There is a transmission control computer, called the tcu. There is an error code that will tell you if the main/engine computer (ecu) sees a problem with the tcu. Not working, but then working in exactly the same situation, only after a power cycle, sounds like a computer or other electronic problem, where you're resetting something when you restart it. That is, assuming it didn't feel like it was also slipping, or anything.

So, this is like a cheap, or even free, part, if it's what's wrong. Check the codes.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
BipolarSloth

Do you need a scanner to check the codes that's what I was told by the people at O'reillys and they said they can't scan my car I have to buy a scanner and all the scanners they had are very expensive

Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
BipolarSloth

I apologize for my ignorance in this topic. I appreciate the help and patience you guys have dealing with my ignorance

Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Dude, I already told you, google it, you could have done it like twenty times by now. You have an OBD1 car, it's possible to get a consult tool that will work but nissan also put in a manual system.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
BipolarSloth

I'm aware my car is and obd1

Old 04-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I'm aware my car is and obd1

Well then......... what codes did it have stored?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
BipolarSloth

Like I said previously I don't have a scanner and all the auto parts stores will not scan obd1 is there another way to check or what

Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
lethanh93
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
lethanh93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Lol just google it dude.
There's an ECU in the passenger foot well.
Dismount it and turn it backward till you see a screw and some leds.
Turn the little screw clockwise all the way. Wait till you see you 3 flashes and turn all the way back.
red is tens digit and green is ones digit.

If you just look it up you can find better instructions but that's the gist.
At least for my ka24e
lethanh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Like I said previously I don't have a scanner and all the auto parts stores will not scan obd1 is there another way to check or what

And like I previously said, fucking use google, you could have done it many many many times over, without needing any tools you don't have.

There is at least one great write-up that should come up, complete with all the codes, and all the instructions, for different year/engine 240s. I didn't try to write a hacked up guide here because a great, full length one already exists.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #18
BipolarSloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethanh93 View Post
Lol just google it dude.
There's an ECU in the passenger foot well.
Dismount it and turn it backward till you see a screw and some leds.
Turn the little screw clockwise all the way. Wait till you see you 3 flashes and turn all the way back.
red is tens digit and green is ones digit.

If you just look it up you can find better instructions but that's the gist.
At least for my ka24e

Thank you everywhere I looked about this problem did not mention anything like that I was always getting it was the neutral safety switch replaced it and the problem persisted

Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Thank you everywhere I looked about this problem did not mention anything like that I was always getting it was the neutral safety switch replaced it and the problem persisted

Do you even english?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #20
BipolarSloth

No I don't I speak fuck off :3 I was never once informed I could check it with a screw driver I was always told you need a scanner never came across anything about the screw driver but that is useful info thanks

Old 04-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #21
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
No I don't I speak fuck off :3 I was never once informed I could check it with a screw driver I was always told you need a scanner never came across anything about the screw driver but that is useful info thanks

Dude.... I told you to google it, and that you could have done it over and over again. I don't know what more you could possibly want, not being your neighbor I can't do it for you. I didn't tell you to read the enclycopedia, I told you the paragraph to read for your problem. Can't help you if you don't have any faith in the help, or you don't bother to read it or consider it's meaning.

Also, neutral safety switch? You found that while trying to see how to read codes? I'm pretty sure "240sx codes" should be all it takes.

I believe your neutral safety switch works similarly to a manuals clutch interlock - it would keep you from starting the car without being in neutral or park, it's not causing you to get stuck at stoplights.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just saying.... there's a reasonable chance that your car could be trouble-shot and working by now, if you just went and it.