Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
180sxLove
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB25 engine whine, cant figure it out

I have a S1 Rb25 that started making a high pitched whining noise that was only apparent when you would rev up the motor. It seemed to resonate from the front area so I removed my accessory belts and the noise was still there, googled Rb25 engine whine and everything led to timing belt.

I pulled my timing cover and noticed the belt was a lil old, so i ordered a new OEM one, including tensioner , spring and idler. I enthusiastically replaced the timing belt , made sure it was not over tensioned, got it all put together and the noise WAS STILL THERE when i revved the car up :\

it starts at around 2300 rpm till red line. sounds like a loud supercharger whine

last night i spent my night googling and reading old Australian skyline threads and again the internet led me to timing belt, so i decided this morning to undo everything again, retensioned the belt (by turning the crank by hand until the tensioner spring set a decent tension), put it back together and the noise WAS STILL THERE :\ I ran the car without the top timing cover and visually the belt was perfect. the noise is not there at all in idle.

at this point i have no idea what to do next., i dont think it has anything to do with the timing belt.

I also dont think its my tranny either, the noise is there whether clutch is pressed in or not, neutral or in gear.

i'll upload a video very soon. i wanna figure this out
180sxLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I had this problem for a long time on my SUV. i did all of that and i found out my alternator pulley was bad then also found out that my Crank Pulley was the main cause of that whine. check that out.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
180sxLove
Leaky Injector

180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmSxdmHXmpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmSxdmHXmpE

I started the car up for less than 30 seconds without the water pump hooked up so don't kill me plsssss

However sound wise its there whether car is warmed up or not, makes no difference. hope someone can lead me in the right direction
Old 11-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's difficult to tell from the video but the noise seems to be a metallic rattle instead of a whine. If it really is coming from the front of the engine, the VCT cam gear could be a suspect. Has the cam gear ever been removed?

If you don't already know, the CAS should never be bolted straight to the CAS bracket. Washers/spacers must be used to replicate the thickness of the front timing cover gasket which has been removed.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
180sxLove
Leaky Injector

Sorry for the double post
Old 11-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
180sxLove
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
It's difficult to tell from the video but the noise seems to be a metallic rattle instead of a whine. If it really is coming from the front of the engine, the VCT cam gear could be a suspect. Has the cam gear ever been removed?

If you don't already know, the CAS should never be bolted straight to the CAS bracket. Washers/spacers must be used to replicate the thickness of the front timing cover gasket which has been removed.
I had a few washers in between but probably could of used more, I didn't torque the cas tho just in case.

The cam gears have not been removed since the noise started
Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #7
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would start taking things apart, starting with that vct cam gear, and inspect everything.
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #8
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
you changed tenisoners and idler pulley? sounds like the belt is too tight
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
180sxLove
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
you changed tenisoners and idler pulley? sounds like the belt is too tight

The noise started a few months ago, prior the car was quiet in terms of weird noises.

When I noticed the noise I originally thought it could of been the timing belt being too tight, idler or tensioner bearing going out, atleast based on what I read online, even tho most videos i saw with tight rb25 timing belt had a whining \ whirring at idle as well. Mine only does it when you rev up the car, in idle its quiet. No chirp no squeel nothing

I bought the belt, tensioner, spring and idler new OEM. i didnt reuse

When I installed the new belt i made sure to get a good 1\4 turn on the belt on the long side from the intake cam to tensioner. I turned the crank by hand and let the spring set the tension.

When I started the car up the first time after replacing the timing belt and heard the sound again, I decided to take it apart and did the tension again this time with even more slack. u can even see the belt vibrating its looser than i would want it but for sure enough tension where it will never come off.

The back of my belts dont look like they r rubbing the paint off and im not seeing any paint or rubber marks on the idler or tensioner indicating that its too tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
I would start taking things apart, starting with that vct cam gear, and inspect everything.

Before I go and remove the timing belt + more for a 3rd time (which seems inevitable at this point) would you mind explaining why you suspect the VCT cam gear?
Old 11-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #10
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
try unplugging the solenoid to the vct gear see if it changes anything... how does the cas feel when spun by hand?
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #11
180sxLove
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sforteen View Post
try unplugging the solenoid to the vct gear see if it changes anything... how does the cas feel when spun by hand?
Just unplugged the solenoid and started the car up, still makes same noise.

CAS feels good when spun by hand, spins freely no weird bearing bind or noise.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #12
180sxLove
Leaky Injector

bump in case there are any new suggestions on my problem really want to drive my 240
Old 11-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #13
Mitsubayati
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
Mitsubayati is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mitsubayati
I had a bearing noise coming from the front of my RB and it was really hard to tell where it was coming from. I took a long flat head screw driver with a hard handle and touched the small end to different places on the block with my ear on the big end. It helped me hear where the noise was louder. I found out it was my water pump with this method. I would suggest you do the same or even get an automotive stethoscope and start poking around.

Also as a suggestion, it might be worth taking the intake cam gear off and inspecting it's components.

Also, Please never take vertical video.