Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
Kaisen
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Kaisen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flex a lite fuse keeps melting

Hi, I recently bought a 410 pair of electric fans with a variable speed controller. Every few days the fan would stop working and I find that the 30 amp fuse has melted. It's not broken though, just melted the plastic. The wires dont feel hot to the touch. Would installing relays help with this issue? Is anyone using the same setup and facing this problem too?
Kaisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisen View Post
Hi, I recently bought a 410 pair of electric fans with a variable speed controller. Every few days the fan would stop working and I find that the 30 amp fuse has melted. It's not broken though, just melted the plastic. The wires dont feel hot to the touch. Would installing relays help with this issue? Is anyone using the same setup and facing this problem too?

Did you install the variable controller properly? Because the relay is in it.

I'm sure you have some sort of instructions with the fans, but if not, check this out and confirm everything is wired properly.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/pdf_inst...-440-98410.pdf
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
thanks to the fuses your wires don't get hot...I did have this issue...relay fixed it, I also did DCC fan controller, little pricey but took care of everything and could forget about the fans and temp!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
thanks to the fuses your wires don't get hot...I did have this issue...relay fixed it, I also did DCC fan controller, little pricey but took care of everything and could forget about the fans and temp!

It comes with a fan controller with built in relay...
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!

Old 01-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Kaisen
Leaky Injector

Yep, I followed the instructions provided. All my wires are connected properly. I'll check through the wires again to be sure
Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 PM   #6
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisen View Post
Yep, I followed the instructions provided. All my wires are connected properly. I'll check through the wires again to be sure

Yeah because tossing a relay where the FAL diag says to put a fuse, would mess with the input voltage to the fan controller.

Have you tried emailing FAL on this issue? I mean I know it's a bit far reach, but it is possible the controller you have has a bad relay winding in it.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Also make sure you have some thick gauge wire. Small wire have more resistance and can have a pretty big voltage drop thus generating LOTS of heat due to the IR drop.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
It comes with a fan controller with built in relay...
lol I had no idea, something else is goin on then...probably grounded wire...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
lol I had no idea, something else is goin on then...probably grounded wire...

Exactly, it CAN happen (the product getting damaged in shipping etc)

I haven't experienced a failure in a relay winding but it does happen. Also as mentioned above, using smaller gauge wire would be a problem HOWEVER....

Typically the wire would get hot and melt the sheath before it melted the plastic on the fuse housing.

When I wired up a few elec fans, I used the circuit sport controller paired with 2 stand alone relays (CS doesn't have a built in controller)

I suppose it could also be where you tapped into the harness at, if you did.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!

Old 01-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fans draw a shit ton of voltage. I think we all know this. A few years back I had done some wiring for mine i'm not so proud of and melted a butt connector and the wire itself. I have since then re-wired it with 2 individual 10G wires.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #11
Kaisen
Leaky Injector

Ok. I've changed my fuse to a slow heating one and it seems to be working fine, until today when I took a look at the wires and it is charred lol. Do I need to use thicker wires? Pardon my knowledge in electricity. Would changing them to a 10g wire help?

https://imgur.com/a/g61FB
Old 02-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You're lucky you didn't catch fire. Put the fuse that's supposed to be in there.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Replace all the fan wiring you have. If you bought those fans second hand, the heat cycling on the wires directly in the fan output get brittle after x- amount of fan cycles. Ditch what relay you have. Get two 30A spdt relays. Use 14g wiring, and put each fan on it's own relay (20A fuse on each). Throw a 200/190 thermoswitch in your upper rad hose to activate the relays and call it a day. Never looked back after doing so. The fans will pull much harder and without risk of both melting a fuse on a single relay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
Replace all the fan wiring you have. If you bought those fans second hand, the heat cycling on the wires directly in the fan output get brittle after x- amount of fan cycles. Ditch what relay you have. Get two 30A spdt relays. Use 14g wiring, and put each fan on it's own relay (20A fuse on each). Throw a 200/190 thermoswitch in your upper rad hose to activate the relays and call it a day. Never looked back after doing so. The fans will pull much harder and without risk of both melting a fuse on a single relay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

on that kit the relay and switch are built into one piece. (if he actually has the one for that kit)

Something just doesn't add up here. Did this come exactly as the kit is advertised? Or did you in fact buy it second hand?

If you bought it second hand surely there was an exchange of pictures, it would be best to show us those pictures of what the item looked like before you installed it.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!