Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
S13/S14 KA-DE Headgasket: Did I Fk up?

Recently did a mild refresh on a second hand KA after blowing mine up. I learned it was an S14 KA, but bought all my gaskets and such for a DOHC S13 KA, as that's what I'm used to doing. (this is happening on Rockauto) I learned the hard way, the difference between valve cover gaskets, but that solved itself easily as my parts store had an S14 one somehow.

Now onto the head gaskets. While they are practically almost the same, I did notice that the front-most, exhaust side head bolt hole had a crush washer around the hole. The S13 gasket did not have a hole big enough to accommodate the washer, and I wasn't about to throw it in there and have an imperfect sealing surface. At the time, I was trying to get the motor back together for an event upcoming, so I just used this gasket and went for it. I thought to myself, "how bad will a gasket be at sealing this". *While we're on this note, would it have been safe to drill out my headgasket, or is going new the only way?*

Anyway, with the S13 HG, the car has been running fine, and I even ran an event with it, a rather long one at that. Haven't noticed any blue smoke or anything, although I probably should have checked the oil level before writing this.

Is this a problem I should be concerned about? It isn't showing any signs of failure, however I do plan on boosting this KA rather soon and I don't want things to go wrong (or should I say, I'd like them to go less wrong)

Not sure if it matters, but I did spray a healthy coating of copper gasket spray, especially around these oil holes, when installing this gasket.

Here are pics for comparison, from FP.

S14:

S13:
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
How what?

What's the question here?
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
How what?

What's the question here?
Sparknotes:

S13 and S14 head gaskets are very slightly different. I have an S14 KA with an S13 head gasket. The only difference is the copper crush washers on the head stud holes (name for these?) You can see what I mean in the pics. Did I fuck up or is the S14 head gasket just a redesign? Does gasket material, with copper spray, seal oil passages well enough?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If it's already sealed I don't see the problem. If you're on stock pistons you'll crack those soon enough if boosted.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
If it's already sealed I don't see the problem. If you're on stock pistons you'll crack those soon enough if boosted.
Going for a low boost T28 setup, hopefully shit doesn't hit the fan.

Realisticly, what could be the worst case of not having the copper washer? a slow seep of oil into cylinder 4? I just don't want to fuck anything serious up, but like I said, this car probably has about 50 miles and 6+ hours of track time on this engine, and runs like a top.