Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
CrudeTech

Trader Rating: (0)
CrudeTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 My new SR/VQ swap is worrying me

I just picked up my car from the shop who installed a CD009 behind the SR20 red top, and I'm worried about some details. The shop is not exactly local, so going back there is a hassle.

1. The clutch appears to be slightly engaged, even with the pedal all the way it. When I put the shifter in first from a dead stop, the car still creeps forward as the gear engages. Any way to adjust the pedal? Is there something else going on with the clutch setup?

2. The clutch pedal action is smooth when the car is off, but not when I turn the car on. It almost feels like there's some rubbing on rubber going on. At least that's what it feels like.

3. The transmission itself is loud. I'm guessing it's because of the sizeable gears and the kinda-high mileage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. The car has a bad vibration that starts as soon as I go over 115 km/h. I'm thinking driveshaft shake. It's a one piece, so I was expecting vibrations, but it doesn't feel normal to me. Maybe it's out of balance. Anything else I should look into?

Any help, input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
CrudeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
This is all no good I'm sorry to say. I have a VQ s13 and everything is smooth as butter. Try bleeding your clutch a bit more and double check that all the fittings are tight. The vibration is scary. I would have the driveshaft balanced. There is probably someone local to you that can check it.

Edit: Also, what fluid is in the transmission? That might help with the gear noise.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
CrudeTech

The transmission was filled with fresh Total gear oil
Old 09-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
blkvrtswp
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
blkvrtswp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
#1 is clutch pedal adjustment, tedious but easy. Check FSM procedure.
blkvrtswp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
CrudeTech

1,2,3 are less critical. The driveline vibration the important one here.

But yeah, I'll try and adjust the pedal on my next day off. Not that worried about that one.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Your TOB bearing may not be the correct size or the clutch arm is out of adjustment. What clutch setup are you using??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
CD transmissions are also just noisy. It's just more evident in an s13 compared to a Z33 with all their sound deadening and double firewall etc.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
CrudeTech

The clutch engagement is getting better after some minor adjustment. What a shitty place to work in though.

I spoke with the shop that did the swap. They did not notice the vibration issue, because they never went above 110 km/h during their road test since 110 km/h is the accepted speed on Quebec's highways.

The driveshaft is supposed to have been balanced twice, and the shop confirmed that the driveline angles were checked and double checked.

They recommended that I get the car aligned properly, and the tires balanced. I'm thinking my XXRs (premium shit right there) might not be round anymore. After all, Quebec roads are absolute thrash.

On a related sidenote, has anyone heard of 720Form wheels. The website talks about flow forming. If the XXRs are bent (probably), then I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels, unless fixing them is possible and cheap.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
CrudeTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Your TOB bearing may not be the correct size or the clutch arm is out of adjustment. What clutch setup are you using??
The clutch is a bully Stage 3 for the SR20 motor. It's a full disk with kevlar on both sides. I'm wondering if my car came with a clutch damper. The car is a JDM S13 180SX with a factory SR20DET red top.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 AM   #10
CrudeTech

Status update:

The clutch is now disengaging properly after a quick rod adjustment and a thorough clutch flush/bleed.

Because of that, the shift quality is more than I could ever expect from a definitely-not-new transmission.

As for the vibration, it's still there, but with a slight improvement after the driveshaft was balanced properly.

I noticed the vibration gets real bad if I go in 5th. Weird.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
canadians14sr20det

canadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrudeTech View Post
Status update:

The clutch is now disengaging properly after a quick rod adjustment and a thorough clutch flush/bleed.

Because of that, the shift quality is more than I could ever expect from a definitely-not-new transmission.

As for the vibration, it's still there, but with a slight improvement after the driveshaft was balanced properly.

I noticed the vibration gets real bad if I go in 5th. Weird.
Did you ever figure this out? I've been fighting this for way too long: http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=627546
canadians14sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
CrudeTech

I didn't figure it out. I switched to a softer trans mount. I'm pretty that the transmission has some worn bearings creating odd vibrations.