Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #61
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudermagee View Post
off topic, but I'd rather have an s2k
Ditto. Hell, I'd take an S2k over the S-chassis too. The FD's chassis is brilliant. But the AP1/AP2 chassis is just as brilliant and comes paired with a good motor from the factory. No torque down low? I'm ok with that. I'll either get used to it or get a supercharger.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #62
SlideOrDie831
Zilvia Member

SlideOrDie831 is an unknown quantity at this point
never driven an FD but i do know that AP's handle very well.

grip monster.....
SlideOrDie831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #63
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMyriad View Post
Then pull the engine, buy some parts, then realize you have no clue about rotaries and sell the lot for a loss of profits.
I will kill you
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #64
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
torque > hp
Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #65
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
torque > hp
So your vote is for the Z?
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #66
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro379ss View Post
Every sports car is cramped big deal. Every sports car is fuel chugging. Every sports car is harsh riding. THATS what makes sports cars sports cars.

Ok 7,8,9k etc rpm shifts.....not necessary for daily driving.

Quick start/shut offs prevent them from flooding yes. And normal driving will prevent carbon build up.
I'm pretty sure 2 Seat, 2 Door, FR is what makes something a sports car.

The FD will get exceptionally poor fuel economy, even when compared to 300ZX TT, Supra TT, 350Z, Corvettes, S2000s, Z3/4. We are talking 14-15mpg, not ~20mpg (which is poor by today's standards, even for sports cars). Lots of people also pre-mix to help with issues, and I'm not sure what you mean by "quick start/shut offs" as my understanding, and from experience in my FC is that when you just "kill it" that's what leads to flooding as the excess pressure in the fuel lines over fills it.

Normally a pump toggle switch is used and you just flip it and let it burn out the last bit of gas in the lines or crank it a few times to before giving it pressure again.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #67
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titangts View Post

LOL. yeah, why would anyone want to install one of the best designed motors ever, in one of the best chassis completely perplexes me too!
The FD chassis is actually not much better than he FC. What makes its so light and nimble is the fact that (At the time) the Rotary was extremely light and compact. It places the entire engine behind the front wheels making the car actually "mid engine".

Porsche 944s are built in a similar fashion with a major focus on weight balance. However Mazda used the Rotary with a traditional transmission, putting all the weight in the center. Porsche used a Piston engine with a Audi style transaxle in the rear (like a Corvette) to balance the weight at the ends.

Putting that dinosaur lead weight JZ really defeats the purpose of the FD.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #68
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Putting that dinosaur lead weight JZ really defeats the purpose of the FD.
Yeah, but for some reason, this gets me all tight in the pants...

Handling balance thrown off? For sure. Highway monster? I'd say probably yes. What does this have to do with anything? Not a damn thing.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #69
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Guys, how do I make an orange taste like an apple?

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #70
lilredrex

lilredrex is an unknown quantity at this point
imma post on the original topic.......The FD rx7 has arguably(of course) the best handling of any late model import. Rotary motors when tuned well are great ( I abused the crap out of mine and it rewarded me with great angle drifts)
the S13 and S14 are the standard in the drifting world.....long wheel base easy to drift or even grip drive. I think the FD and S14 are smooth and sexy, or if your into the 80s look like I am the FC and S13 are both sharp looking cars with huge potential. bottom line it depends on what you want to do with the car and what your budget looks like. I eat top ramen so i can purchase turbo parts
lilredrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #71
FDmuri
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
FDmuri is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Honestly, i feel that the FD is just as reliable as any other sports car out there. Ive owned 1 FC and 2 FD's . my first FD the only real problem i had that nobody else had was i snapped my doorhandles, i bought new aluminum ones and it was fine. other than that, i blew my Stock rear turbo, my fuelpump,and my headlight wiring was old so that fucked up(but what do u expect from a 15yr old car) Things will break. I've seen people upgrade to "skyline GTR" fuel pumps and they still give out. I drove it in the snow, i drove it to and from work (everyday), and went to drift events anytime i had tires i could burn and nothing ever happened with the engine. i know quite a few people around me that had Sr20's that had more problems than i did. My current FD hasn't had one single problem that my last did welll i take that back. my driver side switch panel cracked then broke (again) whatever it still works. if you take care of it it will keep going just like any other sports car. Take the time to love the car a bit and you will love it everyday..except when u cant find a 10mm socket.
just my $0.02.
FDmuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #72
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

azsr20det is an unknown quantity at this point
i like the fd
i wouldnt like the rotary though
azsr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #73
zenki14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
zenki14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
13b swap coils and call it a day lol
zenki14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #74
PshNHrd

PshNHrd is an unknown quantity at this point
I have never driven an FC but when I was looking for one whoever werr selling them are all non turbos.
PshNHrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #75
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
A FD is actually a MR car.

Carry on my good chaps.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #76
Likethunda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Likethunda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25_s13*CHUKI View Post
Apex seals were leaking huh? What were they leaking If you don't mind me asking?
LMAO

i was kinda iffy about that comment as well.. Worn Apex seals = Low/bad compression....

I personally own an Rx8 and know lots of People with FC rx7's and FD rx7's

the 13BRew FD engine isnt the MOSt reliable... because i know people rebuild their engines around 60-80k.... but thats most likely due to the fact that they BEAT THE SHIT outa the ENgine... its a SPorts car.. what do you expect????? especially when rotaries gota be redLined every now and then to clean up that Carbon... know what i mean? probably not.

Mine is 77k miles Strong on First Engine... Just treat it right and check the oil level and it should be FIne

Your Apex wont be "Leaking" hahahaha.....
Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #77
WanganNastyMachine
Zilvia Junkie

WanganNastyMachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
A FD is actually a MR car.

Carry on my good chaps.
I hope you aren't being serious, because honestly the engine may be behind the front axel, but as an owner of both an SW20 MR2 and and an FD3S RX7...there is a HUGE difference.
WanganNastyMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #78
PshNHrd

PshNHrd is an unknown quantity at this point
FC turbo II cars are over priced IMO.
PshNHrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #79
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
99% of people don't know how to care for a rotary

90% of people know nothing about a rotary yet continue to spout off how unreliable they are because they read something that some guy said so therefore it must be true
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #80
WanganNastyMachine
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
99% of people don't know how to care for a rotary

90% of people know nothing about a rotary yet continue to spout off how unreliable they are because they read something that some guy said so therefore it must be true
I own an FD3S an I think its unreliable as hell, but I do see many many FD owners who daily their cars with maintenance as long as its nothing more then lightly modified.

The RX7 and the 240sx are two totally different cars, They were an almost$20,000 difference in expense in the same year model. One was designed to be sporty (SPORT-TEE, meaning not a 'true sports car') and economic/shuffle secretaries back and forth to work in a attractive car and the other was for pure driving pleasure and in high end sports car quality while sacrificing the economic side of driving.

I dont consider the FD a 'true sports car' either, but I feel its a little more engineered and designed for pure driving.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #81
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanganNastyMachine View Post
I hope you aren't being serious, because honestly the engine may be behind the front axel, but as an owner of both an SW20 MR2 and and an FD3S RX7...there is a HUGE difference.
Cool story bro.

Apples to oranges.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #82
WanganNastyMachine
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Cool story bro.

Apples to oranges.
Exactly, so why do you bring it up :P
Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #83
97240TB
Zilvia Junkie

97240TB is an unknown quantity at this point
To the OP... Just get a non-turbo FC. lol

Save yourself a little cash and put it into the car.

I don't know how anyone could compare a SW20 MR2 to a FD/FC basing the comparison on drivetrain layout even if both cars are "Mid-Engine."
As said... Apples to Oranges.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #84
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanganNastyMachine View Post
Exactly, so why do you bring it up :P
I shared an interesting tidbit of information.

You're the one that started talking about the peasant's Ferrari, not I.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #85
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
raz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

ahahahahhaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
How do people still not know that there are so many assholes here? If they joined before 05-06, They are gonna be an asshole. Almost guaranteed.
raz0rbladez909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #86
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
yep.
500whp
going strong.

bottom line is, if you dont know how to take care of it, youre going to whine on the internet about how unreliable it is. example, i change my oil every 1500km's. the rotary is a very reliable motor, just check the 4 rotor winning lemans.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #87
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I've owned them all. S13's, S14's, FD3S, Ka's, SR's, RB25, LSx.

If you can't afford an FD, you can't afford it. One of the best handling cars, same league as C5/C6 Corvettes (but 10%-15% lighter), only car that's better engineered from the factory is the NSX.

I solved all the reliability issues real easy, but it's not cheap.

I say forget about FD's until you can afford to do one right, and be happy with a S-chassis that still looks like an S-chassis. Go SR, T28, and enjoy 250hp. It's a GREAT setup.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #88
WanganNastyMachine
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

Your interesting tidbit of information is semi-correct. I just dont believe its a true Midship car, not by definition anyhow. Dont take any offense to it.

LOL! We call them that all of the time on the Owners Club. I love them though, neat little cars if you learn how to drive them right.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #89
SlideOrDie831
Zilvia Member

SlideOrDie831 is an unknown quantity at this point
13B has to be maintained from day 1. not run it hard then start to properly maintain it two years later. the key answer is "OIL" like any other engine. 13b's eat a quart of oil about every thousand miles.

don't change the oil after 3K miles....you figure it out.
SlideOrDie831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #90
jspecusa
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jspecusa
Jeff is right, I own both s14 and FD.
save up for the FD, it's worth it.
it's like a European car, very expensive to keep,
not for someone who's poor and work for minimum wage.