Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
NickS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
NickS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
"Collector Car" Status in NJ

Just wondering if any of you guys, who do not use your 240's as daily's, have your cars registered as "Collector Car"? With the S-chassis getting older and older they become harder and harder to pass inspection, especially in the state of NJ. And in order to avoid inspection every other year I was looking into applying to have my car registered as a "Collector Car". The application process seems pretty detailed and was just curious if anyone has gone through it, if the S14 would qualify as "collector" and basically any information you guys could share about it.

If possible, I would like to avoid the, just pay someone to give you a sticker, as I'm trying to avoid that, and, thus, the reason I'm attempting the application process.

Thanks!!
NickS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
one more year till my '91 qualifies for "antique" plates in FL.

No inspections in Florida, but I think most states have a 25 year rule for collector car status which qualifies you to purchase special classic car insurance that could be drastically cheaper than regular car insurance.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
NickS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post

No inspections in Florida, but I think most states have a 25 year rule for collector car status which qualifies you to purchase special classic car insurance that could be drastically cheaper than regular car insurance.
In NJ collector just states UNDER 25 years old, otherwise once it is over 25 it qualifies for Classic... Maybe thats what you were thinking?
Old 05-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Owning a 'classic' car isn't the wild wild west that many think it is... Other than getting the insurance reduction, registering for 'classic' status in Texas isn't the holy grail most think it is. 'Classic' cars here still require annual inspection, including emissions. Only safety features that didn't exist when the car was built are exempt. Check your state's DPS website to see if it's even worth it for you.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
NickS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Owning a 'classic' car isn't the wild wild west that many think it is... Other than getting the insurance reduction, registering for 'classic' status in Texas isn't the holy grail most think it is. 'Classic' cars here still require annual inspection, including emissions. Only safety features that didn't exist when the car was built are exempt. Check your state's DPS website to see if it's even worth it for you.
I have, and "collector car" here in NJ once the application is approved they give you a voucher and you just take the voucher to the insp. station and they plop a sticker on there (good for 2 years) and send you on your way, and I'd imagine they check ODO because it limits you to 3k/year. Not sure about "classic or historic" here in NJ as I know for each the car must be 25+ years old
Old 05-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
In CA, I believe there are also mileage/use limitations for historic plates.

So far, the pros do not seem to out-weight the cons when it comes to having a car with collector car insurance and/or historic plates.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:

Emissions in texas? I live in texas and i have never once had them check emissions. they check for exhaust leaks but thats about it. maybe in big cities they do?

Anyway, Nation of texas FTW, bring ur car here and don't deal with any more bullshit

seriously though i looked into getting my 89 insured as a classic, and i think you pay less yearly but end up paying more in the long run, because i think the regular insurance lasts for like 5 years or something i dunno,
plus they have like a restriction on how much you can drive the car, its like 2000 miles a year or something ( i don't know how they enforce it lol)
+1 post count

Last edited by kashira kureijii; 05-05-2015 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: 4 more regal style
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #8
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
^^^Yeah, DFW definitely tests for emissions.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
^^^Yeah, DFW definitely tests for emissions.
Damn that sucks, im glad i don't have to test for emissions,

I guess everyone around here just chooses to not enforce it
Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
StatticMyke
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
StatticMyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oklahoma has no inspection or emissions limitations. How much would you insurance go down? I cant imagine that much. My full coverage on my s13 is like $30 a month full coverage.
StatticMyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
10psitx
Zilvia Member

10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Emissions in Texas is regulated per county, I live in Austin TX./Travis county district, which is an Emission testing county. I have both 1988 RHD and 1989 LDH S13 coupes- CA18DET and sr20det, a 1989 4door skyline- rb20det, and a 1985 Toyota mark 2 1GGTE, none of these car had to be emission tested in Travis county as they were 25 years or older so saftey only (lights, wipers, seatbelts, lugnuts, exhaust, tires, brakes, steering, horn). The Skyline has Classic car plates as well, all my previous sr powered cars( not 25 years old) were registered in Kyle TX./ Hays county which is a non-emmision county....NON emissions counties and 25 year old cars are saftey only inspections in Most of Texas. I know for sure in Austin and environs, San Antonio, Killeen, Tyler and Houston this is the case.... i can't say with certainty for all of Dallas...but Keller is saftey only for 25 years and over...
As for Classic car registry, i just asked for the plate that said "Classic Car"...the title did not note any difference, nor was the car subject to mileage limitation, i added the car to my normal insurance policy (Farmers ins co.) as full coverage and the payment was based on MY assumed value @ $50.00/mth. There was an option to have the car appraised as well but i would have had to pay out of pocket for that.
10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #12
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

some ones very well informed . i had not known that was the case, nice to know. now i can sound awesome when people ask about emissions.

also those cars sound badass, maybe when evo 1's become eligible to import, i'll sell a 240 and get one
Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
TomBec
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
TomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond reputeTomBec has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
my 89 SR (sig) is registered as an antique in VA.. no emissions or state inspections. just have to verify its "safe" by checking a box on the antique plate application. one time fee of $50.. never have to re-up on registration.

my 92 RB, however, i have to have inspected etc .. sucks. my weekend project is replacing control arms the inspectors failed last week (ball joints). gay.
TomBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #14
sincity_sil80
Zilvia Junkie

sincity_sil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just registered my 91 as a "classic rod" in nevada. limited to 5k a year and no emissions check required, just vin inspection and proof of insurance, next year it would qualify as a "classic vehicle" not sure what the difference is though

20 till 3:00 =
sincity_sil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #15
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post

Looks like you will have to wait a little bit longer for an "Antique" plate. The requirement is 30 years.

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/specia...Vehicle-Plates

My two-tone has a 09/88 build date so I'll be ready in 2018.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #16
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
Emissions in texas? I live in texas and i have never once had them check emissions. they check for exhaust leaks but thats about it. maybe in big cities they do?

Anyway, Nation of texas FTW, bring ur car here and don't deal with any more bullshit

seriously though i looked into getting my 89 insured as a classic, and i think you pay less yearly but end up paying more in the long run, because i think the regular insurance lasts for like 5 years or something i dunno,
plus they have like a restriction on how much you can drive the car, its like 2000 miles a year or something ( i don't know how they enforce it lol)
+1 post count
austin does it too. sucks
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #17
oldschoolsilvia
Zilvia Member

oldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of light
If your car in DFW is older than 25 they just do a safety inspection, which includes a check of lights/horn/e-brake. And I have been sneaking my S14 through inspection in Wichita Falls, its just a safety check here and no emissions.. Its not registered here either, it is still registered in Johnson County where it should be getting the sniffer test. Going to keep doing it until I am told to stop
oldschoolsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #18
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

didn't realize so many people on here are from texas lol
Old 05-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #19
10psitx
Zilvia Member

10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolsilvia View Post
If your car in DFW is older than 25 they just do a safety inspection, which includes a check of lights/horn/e-brake. And I have been sneaking my S14 through inspection in Wichita Falls, its just a safety check here and no emissions.. Its not registered here either, it is still registered in Johnson County where it should be getting the sniffer test. Going to keep doing it until I am told to stop
Hey oldschoolsilvia....good to see you here as well...Turbofreek from Texas Nissan here!!...as for the inspections, with the new system you may get the boot when it comes time for registration renewal, with the one sticker change you no longer get the inspection sticker, you take your inspection print oiut to the Tax office and they verify then you get the registration sticker.
10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #20
oldschoolsilvia
Zilvia Member

oldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of lightoldschoolsilvia is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10psitx View Post
Hey oldschoolsilvia....good to see you here as well...Turbofreek from Texas Nissan here!!...as for the inspections, with the new system you may get the boot when it comes time for registration renewal, with the one sticker change you no longer get the inspection sticker, you take your inspection print oiut to the Tax office and they verify then you get the registration sticker.
Yeah I was figuring that would put an end to my ways, oh well! Guess I need to swap headers again so I can actually pass when the time comes
oldschoolsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #21
Gostlrs

Gostlrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Plates for each state are different rules. Insurance is completely different as well.

In Arizona, any car 25 years old can get the "Historic" plates. No limitations other than it being 25 years old. So yes I see Saturn's with them. You also get no relief from emissions. it is simply a collectible plate.

Classic Car Insurance, That is a whole different story. Your car has to be done up nicely. It also can't be your daily, you also have to own a garage. There are mileage limits and you get the emissions exempt in many states. You come to an agreed value. On mine we agreed at 21k and that was before my body and paint. I am working with them now that my car is being done this week to raise that number to 35k.