Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bavarian Motor Works

Here is the place to discuss how the 2002 is the best BMW ever made and the F30 is the worst.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
unwtdhero
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
unwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Takin' as an opinion, not as statement of fact
unwtdhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
J3123MY
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
J3123MY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
LOL. I got a piece of shit 1602... will those ever be worth something?
J3123MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Nice this will be fun!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

vanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymore
haha love the first post

You can get an early gen X5 with a manual transmission from the factory, who else is doing that?!??!

only the peeps who when they need a work truck they make one out of a M car.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509914
Old 09-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Broke Motor Werke

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
So. . . . Turbo 4, inline 6, or buttery smooth small displacement v8?

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN
Old 10-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Hmmm look at this. It's going to get weird quick. Lol

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
lol first post nailed it perfectly

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

vanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
So. . . . Turbo 4, inline 6, or buttery smooth small displacement v8?
why only choose one??

2002 turbo or e21 w/ m10 build

the I6 go M30, S38, S52, or S54

then for the v8 go m62 in either a e39 touring or e34 touring

rocking a 850csi or 850ci v12 w/ 6 speed would be amusing as well
Old 10-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Truth be told 2002's were not the best. The Datsun 510 kicked its ass up and down the street for years on end. So the first post was sadly misguided. Now if he had said the E30 M3 or E36 M3 he would have been on point.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:12 AM   #12
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Truth be told 2002's were not the best. The Datsun 510 kicked its ass up and down the street for years on end. So the first post was sadly misguided. Now if he had said the E30 M3 or E36 M3 he would have been on point.
2002 is the correct car for the initial post. The neue klasse range of cars that spawned during the era essentially brought BMW into its golden age. 2002, e9 coupe, 1800/2000 coupes/sedans.

its has the strongest following for BMW classics and is extremely iconic.

15 year production span from the 60s-70s, over 900,000 built, its the one classic BMW you will see show up at any meet or event, baby boomer gen loves them (and so does the new gen!)

e30 m3/e36 m3 too low of production #s to have the same on the ground impact the 2002 had.

andddddd the M10 which powered everythinnggggg back then was the basis for the s14 which is found in the e30 m3.....

love this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyWuXfQbxM
Old 10-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish1 View Post
2002 is the correct car for the initial post. The neue klasse range of cars that spawned during the era essentially brought BMW into its golden age. 2002, e9 coupe, 1800/2000 coupes/sedans.

its has the strongest following for BMW classics and is extremely iconic.

15 year production span from the 60s-70s, over 900,000 built, its the one classic BMW you will see show up at any meet or event, baby boomer gen loves them (and so does the new gen!)

e30 m3/e36 m3 too low of production #s to have the same on the ground impact the 2002 had.

andddddd the M10 which powered everythinnggggg back then was the basis for the s14 which is found in the e30 m3.....

love this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyWuXfQbxM
Sure it started everything and sold well. It does not make it the best and it was never viewed that way outside of BMW fandom .

Whereas as the E36 literally was voted the best car for ten years running and the E36 M3 was actually stated by many publications to be one of the best handling cars in the world. It also has the track wins to prove it. On the flip side sure the 2002 sold a lot but it gots its ass kicked on the track repeatedly.

Plain and simple. The opening statement was poorly written with the intention of setting off a debate. Let's just say S14DB is most likely snickering right now becuase he knew he was talking smack.
If he had siad is a thread about BMW's and their heritage started by the iconic 2002 it would have been absolutely correct.

Sure BMW started the Sport Sedan or saloon sports car segment with the 2002 but that does not automatically make it the best.
Nissan went and built the 510 and it just destroyed the 2002 in so many ways. The mistake Nissan made is not exactly sticking to the Formula like BMW did.

Oh and Nissan brought the formula back with the S and R chassis. In fact E36's and R/ S chassis rear suspensions are strangely alike. Had the R32 been a world car it would have compared equally to a E36 as well.

Yet none the less the opening statement is incorrect and inflammatory.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

the opening statement isnt as cut and dry as youre making it out to be, its not suppose to be.

one of the most loyal groups of BMW enthusiasts is the 2002 crowd, for them their heart beats for nothing else, you can not convince them otherwise.

Just like there are a whole new group of BMW enthusiasts who swear off all new BMWs because of eps, increased electronics, etc.

this is why although factually untrue the opening statement might be, its actually quite spot on in regards to the BMW scene

Last edited by vanish1; 10-02-2014 at 05:41 PM..
vanish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Alignements on this bitch is hell....
I could eye ball my alignement at home with the S14 and it would drive smooth...
loosen up one suspension arm on this thing and it drives like a snake on crack...lol

ps:
I wouldnt mind having an E30 and swapping an RB26...
Old 10-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #16
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
^^^Very nice. Loving it. Liberty Walk is making me want one more and more every day....
Old 10-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Hey guys... I've been hearing all this talk about how great the E36 M3 is, but I'm wondering what the consensus is about a turbo E36 325i or 328i? Someone once told me they handled boost well, but I' haven't come across any info on the strength of the factory blocks and internals... I'm always on the lookout for good bang for you buck projects & this caught my eye... How would you merit a turbo 325i E36 build versus something like an S13 KA-T build? </p>
Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #18
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
When in doubt, throw an LS in it. lol
Old 10-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #19
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Honestly you can score E36 M3's for great prices now and the 95 engines were 86x85.5bore and stroke and 86.4x89.6 for 3.2 S52.
Which means they are very smooth revving machines. Now the other thing to keep in mind is all the tidbits you get on the M that is not on the stock E36's like limited slip diffs all different suspension arms , bigger stock swaybars etc...

If you are thinking non M do not bother with a 325 as they are dogs. The 328 on the other hand is an interesting compromise it's engine has the same bore and stroke as an SR! It also sports more torque than the 325 engine.

Though again 328's are later model and sell for only a thousand or two less than you can find M's for and right now you can buy M's for anywhere from $3500 and up depending on condition , title status etc..

Oh and one of the hot swaps to do if you have the money is an E46 M3 engine with ecu and harness as it's pretty much another 100 hp and puts the car on par with the E36 euro M3 which came with 321 hp stock.

Oh and any turbo kit or Supercharger setup is going to run anywhere from $2500 at the cheapest to $5k

The deal right now in the BMW world is indeed E36 M3's.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #20
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Hey guys... I've been hearing all this talk about how great the E36 M3 is, but I'm wondering what the consensus is about a turbo E36 325i or 328i? Someone once told me they handled boost well, but I' haven't come across any info on the strength of the factory blocks and internals... I'm always on the lookout for good bang for you buck projects & this caught my eye... How would you merit a turbo 325i E36 build versus something like an S13 KA-T build?
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ning-questions

good thread to answer your Qs

in regards to boost w/ ppl who have actual budgets, m50 or m52 is your best bet, theyre stupid cheap compared to the premium a S motor commands.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #21
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

The deal right now in the BMW world is indeed E36 M3's.
+1 I cant imagine them bottoming out for too much longer before they go on the upswing

e34 M5 is also at its bottom pricing as well, too few built to remain where it is.

also seems like the e24 and e31 are bottoming out currently as well
Old 10-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #22
simmode1
Post Whore!

Great feedback, guys. I took a quick look at my local CL and saw that E36 M3's now go for about the same price one might expect for a well prepped S13 with a mild SR. Not bad.

Quote:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ning-questions

good thread to answer your Qs

in regards to boost w/ ppl who have actual budgets, m50 or m52 is your best bet, theyre stupid cheap compared to the premium a S motor commands.
Looks like an OBDI E36 328i is the way to go for a relatively inexpensive DIY turbo project. Sounds a little bit stronger than a KA-T on power production potential.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #23
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

yea np its fun

things to note w/ the e36 esp the m3 is the cooling system and suspension. they are perishable items on the car and knowing if they have been serviced or not is $$ saved or lost. Little things to note also, like if the tool kit is complete or how many keys are being sold w/ the car, $60 for a chipped key :0 otherwise

for example id rather have a e36 m3 w/ 160,000 miles on it w/ everything serviced vs one w/ 80,000 miles w/ nothing serviced.

find a 328 or 325 for the cheap, swap over m3 suspension and chassis reinforcement, lsd possible if its a s model or swap in guts, throw boost at it

bmwvin.com if you wanna see what options came w/ the car youre looking at.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #24
simmode1
Post Whore!

If i were to go the turbo E36 328i route, I would definitely cannibalize the M3 for anything that the aftermarket doesn't already do better.
Quote:
Oh and any turbo kit or Supercharger setup is going to run anywhere from $2500 at the cheapest to $5k
Yeah, it certainly is more pricey than a KA-T setup... Worth factoring into considerations.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:38 AM   #25
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Anyone have experience with E39 M5s? I have lusted over them since learning to drive stick on my dad's 540i. Prices are now sub 20k. My main concern is the ridiculous maintenance costs.

They are just so bad ass, i've probably watched this video 100+ times over the last decade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKyva3fIkI
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #26
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead55 View Post
Anyone have experience with E39 M5s? I have lusted over them since learning to drive stick on my dad's 540i. Prices are now sub 20k. My main concern is the ridiculous maintenance costs.
Ive seen a few in the 10-12k range, they needed some lovin but the price of entry might be worth getting to join the club.

S62 is an impressive motor, a V8 with ITBs from the factory, so much win.

as long as all the electronics are in order then youre only going to be dealing with your scheduled suspension refreshing and engine maintenance.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #27
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Ive seen a few in the 10-12k range, they needed some lovin but the price of entry might be worth getting to join the club.

S62 is an impressive motor, a V8 with ITBs from the factory, so much win.

as long as all the electronics are in order then youre only going to be dealing with your scheduled suspension refreshing and engine maintenance.
I checked out one before i bought my NB, it was 10k and it was a fucking dog. All the clean ones seem to be going for about 20k, which honestly is not bad for the caliber of car it is. The price of cleaning these things up is so ridiculous i'd rather pick up a clean, low mileage one than something that needs lovin'.

Suspension wise i'll probably go coilovers and replace bushings at the same time. I'm just worried about VANOS maintenance.
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #28
simmode1
Post Whore!

This thread desperately needs more pics. It is failing badly. C'mon guys. Post some inspiration.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #29
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead55 View Post
I checked out one before i bought my NB, it was 10k and it was a fucking dog. All the clean ones seem to be going for about 20k, which honestly is not bad for the caliber of car it is. The price of cleaning these things up is so ridiculous i'd rather pick up a clean, low mileage one than something that needs lovin'.

Suspension wise i'll probably go coilovers and replace bushings at the same time. I'm just worried about VANOS maintenance.
well to be fair unless you get a ppi done and see a stack of receipts the 20k one might not be a better buy than the 10k one.

gotta work out the #s sometimes, 10k car with 10k in new parts might be a viable path.

and yeah it sucks when the VANOS is going but its one of those things where once its done and over with you dont gotta worry about it for a very long time.

either way good chance youre going to come out on top bc it will def become a collectors item with future appreciation happening.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #30
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

some personal pics ive snapped this past year: