Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
DixonS13

Trader Rating: (0)
DixonS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Did I get the wrong transmission fluid?

Hey so i own an s13 with a mostly stock ka24de and i was replacing thse transmission fluid today and i bought 3 quarts of 75w-90 gear oil gl4 or gl5 it said it would work for both. The i realized it said "For non-syncronized transmissions only" will this still work? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!
DixonS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
return it and order redline mt90.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
DixonS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
return it and order redline mt90.
The only problem is this is my daily so i dont have time to order anything. I just want to know if it would work.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
It's a chemical in GL-5 rated fluid that is corrosive to brass synchronizers. Use either Redline MT-90 or Amsoil GL-4. Both of which are the correct spec for our transmissions.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it's your daily and you have no other choice, use that stuff for now.
Order some Redline MT-90 and replace when you can. No big deal. As mentioned though, that fluid you are currently using is not suited for our transmissions..
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
Amsoil>>>>>>>
Old 11-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t...ghlight=amsoil
Old 11-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
DixonS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleakley View Post
If it's your daily and you have no other choice, use that stuff for now.
Order some Redline MT-90 and replace when you can. No big deal. As mentioned though, that fluid you are currently using is not suited for our transmissions..
Great, thanks for the feedback guys! I will order some high quality stuff tonight and just run it on this stuff for a couple of days. Just to be clear this is gear oil that says something about being good for lsd's not specifically for transmissions, is this still ok for 5-7 days?
Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
Trinidrift3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Trinidrift3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
change it as soon as you can. i had to do the same once bc i had to drive 200 miles before the redline mt90 would come in. when i drained the tranny oil to put the redline in, the magnetic drain plug was covered in a lot of metal shavings. scarred the shit out of me. drive as little as you can until you get the redline in there
Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #10
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonS13 View Post
Great, thanks for the feedback guys! I will order some high quality stuff tonight and just run it on this stuff for a couple of days. Just to be clear this is gear oil that says something about being good for lsd's not specifically for transmissions, is this still ok for 5-7 days?
You probably walked into advance auto or AutoZone is what I'm guessing. Like I said, if you don't have a choice (don't have another car/cannot borrow a car for a couple days) run it.

What you should have done is grabbed the one that said for transmissions, that doesn't make sense...
BUT IF IT IS ALL THAT IS AVAILABLE FOR YOU AT THIS TIME, R U N I T ! ! !
I've ran that AutoZone shit for months before I read what I actually should have been using. A week is not going to ruin your tranny unless it was already on its way out. Run it and then switch it out when you can..

Just keep in mind the more you beat on it and the longer you run it with that fluid in there, the more damage you're doing. You'll be okay buddy, just do what you gotta do..
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #11
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Change it asap.

I ran royal purple (Gl4 and Gl5 "Compliant") in my old transmission and it slowly killed it. It was making weird high pitched noises. When I replaced the transmission out of curiosity I drained the fluid and a ton of shavings came out.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
and if you do end up using this fluid, shift slowly, don't bang gears. give the synchros time to line up before pushing it into the next gear

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote