Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
RickBlaine

Trader Rating: (0)
RickBlaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Matic D for automatic transmission fluid

Gents,

For a 1991 Nissan 240sx with a well-functioning auto transmission, would you go with Nissan Matic D fluid, Amsoil, etc?

I am just doing a drain and fill this year- not dropping the pan and changing the filter.

My 1991 (!) owner's manual specifies "Genuine Nissan ATF or equivalent Type DEXRON"

No joke, I called Martin Nissan and Star Nissan (in Skokie, IL) and the parts guys had no idea if I could use Nissan Matic D.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

103,000 miles, no rust, 100% stock
RickBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
TougeSR20Kid has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just use valvoline maxlife atf. That stuff covers a wide array of fluid specifications, old and new, import and domestic, etc.
Namaste mother f**ker
TougeSR20Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
honestly, I don't think it really matters. But if you want piece of mind, just stick with what the manual says. Matic D is what I would go with personally.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
from what I've read around, it looks like Matic D is basically Dexron III, which would be fine for your automatic transmission. A lot of others have started using Valvoline Maxlife as a readily available replacement for Matic D without any issues.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
KA24sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24sleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
honestly, I don't think it really matters. But if you want piece of mind, just stick with what the manual says. Matic D is what I would go with personally.
ture use matic D. u can also use matic D on your power steering fluid aswell. they can both take the same. matic D was used in most 90-07 nissans. untill they started using S,J and matic K.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
RickBlaine

Trader Rating: (0)
RickBlaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank you gentlemen for the votes, opinions, and info on Nissan's "Matic D" as well as the Valvoline Maxlife Automatic Transmission Fluids.

Since 2010, I do all the maintenance work on it myself- and I do enjoy the "thumbs up" I get from random people. Heck of a fun car. I have the new ACC replacement carpet laying out in my living room- I will swap it out this week.

Last edited by RickBlaine; 11-02-2018 at 09:11 PM..
RickBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
TougeSR20Kid has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
@Touge: By the way, I was there the day my buddy bought this 1991 Nissan brand new- a few months later he moved to your hometown of Seattle and drove it there for 19 years (until 2010) - no road salt in Seattle! So when I brought it back to Chicago, I stopped at the original dealership for a free oil change and the service departments went a little crazy- they don't see to many of these cars rust-free.

Since 2010, I do all the maintenance work on it myself- and I do enjoy the "thumbs up" I get from random people. Heck of a fun car. I have the new ACC replacement carpet laying out in my living room- I will swap it out this week.
Haha nice! Yeah its pretty legit out here on the west coast with the no Icing thing. The only problem, which I'm sure your buddy encountered, is since it rains a lot if you don't have covered parking it can turn your car into a moldy swamp after a while lol
Namaste mother f**ker
TougeSR20Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I'm the store manager of a local Valvoline instant oil change and i will tell you that maxlife ATF is awesome, I recommend it over anything else including genuine OEM ATF. I'm sold on the stuff for sure!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote