Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
FinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
S14 -> 350z track edition brakes

This is for everyone who has PM'd me about my brakes. No custom brackets are needed!
Step 1:
Get 350z or G35 track edition brembo calipers and rotors. You also need z32 conversion brake lines, brake fluid, etc.

Step 2:
Remove wheel, caliper, rotor, and brake dust shield. Don't disconnect the brake lines yet or you will have to bleed the entire system.

Step 3:
Drill out the caliper mounting holes on the spindle. You will need a 9/16" drill bit. This is because the brembo calipers use 14mm mounting bolts vs the stock 12mm. If you have ABS, cover the ABS sensor with something. It is magnetic and the metal shavings will cover it.

Mounting hole half way drilled out to show the difference:

Step 4:
The 350z caliper mounting bolts need to be modified. Basically, the threads stop 1" from the bolt head because the 350z spindle is thicker than the s14's. This caused the bolt to run out of thread before the bolt head bottomed out to mount the caliper. I used a thread cutting die and added 1/2" of threads to the bolt to solve this. You can just get new bolts from a hardware store, just measure thread pitch and length. (Sorry, didn't get any pics of this)

Step 5:
Mount new rotor & caliper. Connect the z32 conversion brake lines to the caliper. Disconnect the old brake line from the chassis hard line and immediately connect the z32 conversion line using a flare nut wrench. Don't allow too much brake fluid loss. If your master cylinder gets emptied, you have to bleed all 4 brakes. Remove the two bleeders from the caliper and fill it with fluid (yes there are two on each of these calipers). Reinstall the bleeders and bleed, starting with the insider bleeder first. (Sorry, didn't get any pics of the brake line install either. I didn't want to get brake fluid/crap on my camera. It's all basic stuff, you've done it before.)

Step 6:
Repeat for the other side. The end.

FinalDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
awesome write up and good work man.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
sean350z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
sean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
+1 detailed write up with pics is key. too bad the z33 brembos have a huge markup in resale...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
PITCH
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
PITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thoes look Tasty...Anyone want to buy my R33 GT-R calipers?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
drew935
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
drew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
will this fit s13's? I have z32s not installed yet and have a mix match of parts so I'm thinking of a z33 setup.

Finaldrive - awesome setup of wheel/brake combo
Old 10-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
So where the heck can you actually manage to find those calipers for a not ridiculous price? Good show!
Old 10-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
slideways2004
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
slideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slideways2004
great write up. badass car
slideways2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
sw20>>s14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
sw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sw20>>s14
good right up...what MC are you running?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

FinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud of
yes they will fit s13 also
just drill out the spindle and handle the bolt situation

i found the brakes on ebay of all places, got em cheap too

i'm running the oem master cyl right now
the 1 1/16" z32 will go on with the z32 rears later
Old 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew935
Finaldrive - awesome setup of wheel/brake combo
thanks
the front wheels are mid disk and barely clear
you can see some paint trading in this fuzzy pic:

Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #11
TipStylez
Zilvia Addict

TipStylez will become famous soon enoughTipStylez will become famous soon enoughTipStylez will become famous soon enoughTipStylez will become famous soon enoughTipStylez will become famous soon enough
Thats just pimp...time to make some z33/g35 kid crash =] Their mom will just buy them another car who cares. haha
TipStylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
Kouki_2.4
Leaky Injector

Kouki_2.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 for awesome instructions!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:42 AM   #13
nrg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
nrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nrg
mark slide squad did this last year to his car.
02+ sentra SE-R Spec V (front brembo caliper) are bolt-ons too.

now someone needs to figure out how to get 300zx ebrake + some new brembo rear calipers to work together. I know STI rear calipers bolt on s13/s14 fine.

driftingisgay.com
nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #14
vutony
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (145)
vutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfectionvutony is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 145 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg
now someone needs to figure out how to get 300zx ebrake + some new brembo rear calipers to work together. I know STI rear calipers bolt on s13/s14 fine.
thats wat i was about to say, can the rear be done?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
thats hawt!!

dam i woulda got flamed for this swap becuase i dont ahve track pics.. =(
Old 10-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #16
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
ChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her selfChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoS14
good stuff.... might be my next upgrade when my Z32s arent enough...
ChicagoS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #17
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
Trader Rating: (3)
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Any idea what they're like clearance-wise (compared to Z32). I would guess they'd have less clearance, but I don't know. Hoping you do. I'm already running a spacer to clear 30mm Z Brakes, (fronts are an effective 9j +5 now). I can't really run any more spacer, so if they have any less clearance, I won't be able to do them with my current wheels (which I don't wanna give up).
Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #18
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoS14
good stuff.... might be my next upgrade when my Z32s arent enough...
They will almost always be enough and if they arent you need to switch pads. You arent going to be doing an endurance races anytime soon right?...
Old 10-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #19
King 240
Banned from the Marketplace

King 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-known
so would the 300zx wheels clear these brakes or are they that much larger then the 30mm Z brakes?
King 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #20
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
do these have more braking power then the 30mm z32? and keep us posted on your rear setup cause im in the same boat as you right now. btw great write up!
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #21
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
i highly doubt these clear w/o 17's

these brembos + z32 rears + z32 m/c should be pretty good brake bias, maybe a little too much front bias?
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #22
wootwoot
Post Whore!

Just use a proportioning valve. Anyone actually needing brakes this size should use one anyway.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #23
Neejay
Post Whore!

Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Good write up sir.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #24
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

Sorry, I can't compare vs 300zx swap braking

As far as clearance, they appear to have less wheel clearance than z32 brakes, but I haven't done a side by side comparison yet. They also barely clear the 18" wheel. Maybe I can find someone to let me test fit a 17" wheel.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #25
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek
thats hawt!!

dam i woulda got flamed for this swap becuase i dont ahve track pics.. =(
everyother comment does'nt have to be about how you dont track

you bring it apon yourself by posting this all the time.

thats like jumping into a crowd of girls and like "Hey girls, can I hang with you? Oh wait nvm I have a small penis, and just leave"

on topic, your new brakeset up is super sexy, reminds me of the write up they have on the SPL parts archive of this. Keep it up ^_^
Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #26
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
LMAO.. easy Robby..

Damn, those brakes are sex. Look dAMN good behind those wheels.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #27
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
haha sorry evan, i just saw like 4 posts personaly saying how he doesnt track or something. we dont need to whine here.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #28
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
IIRC the 350Z base model 17inch wheels clear the brembos on the track model, so some 17's should clear these
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #29
nrg
Zilvia FREAK!

nrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to nrg
more facts into this thread:
350z track rotors: 324mmx30mm
z32 rotors: 280x26/30mm

driftingisgay.com
nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:14 AM   #30
King 240
Banned from the Marketplace

King 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-known
so looking at a 17'' wheels minimum
King 240 is offline   Reply With Quote