Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #301
jdm14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jdm14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex128 View Post
You can measure the signal to make sure it's in the right range at idle. Obviously swapping it out is an option but that could cost money. Does the car idle at the right afr?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Idle is lean. 18-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #302
apex128
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
apex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm14 View Post
Idle is lean. 18-20

Honestly, the best thing to do might be to contact Martin at rs enthalpy. My brother dealt with him and the past and he was willing to work with us. The ecu could just be messed up. If you have another maf I would surely swap it out and test and you can also still test the signal. I'm not sure what the correct voltage is for idle but I'm sure you can find that somewhere online.

apex128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #303
jdm14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex128 View Post
Honestly, the best thing to do might be to contact Martin at rs enthalpy. My brother dealt with him and the past and he was willing to work with us. The ecu could just be messed up. If you have another maf I would surely swap it out and test and you can also still test the signal. I'm not sure what the correct voltage is for idle but I'm sure you can find that somewhere online.

Ok. Thanks for the input. Happy holidays

Old 12-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #304
apex128
Zilvia Member

apex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm14 View Post
Ok. Thanks for the input. Happy holidays

You too, good luck with everything.

apex128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #305
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
EnnEssEnnKAT can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
My guess is the fuel pump how long has that thing been in there

Sent from mTalk
EnnEssEnnKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #306
jdm14
Zilvia Junkie

Could it be fuel injectors? I noticed that even if I adjust fuel pressure afr doesn’t change. I haven’t replaced the o rings on those injectors.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #307
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Fuel pressure adjustment won't make a difference with a pump that's on its way out. Gotta monitor fuel pressure at WOT which is hard.

Sent from mTalk
Old 12-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #308
jdm14
Zilvia Junkie

Ka24det FAQ

Fuel pump is less than 100miles. Walbro 255

Old 12-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #309
Jeezyjraaw

Jeezyjraaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Ka24de don’t go past 4K rpms

So I recently bought a 240sx the owner said the past owner has sr20 in it then blew it up then he threw the ka in there and sold it! So he put 2k in fixing wiring and minor stuff! I guess something came up in life for him so he sold it to me. I drove it home and it doesn’t go past 4K rpms In every gear. So I opened the hood and played with the throttle body cable and it only goes to 4K rpms but when I pull the other part of where another cable should be it revs normal. I’m not sure what to do. Forgive me I’m a car noob trying to learn. Oh and I’m new and not sure where to post this.
Jeezyjraaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #310
NMcCabe2gX

NMcCabe2gX is an unknown quantity at this point
KA24DE Turbo Conversion Build Questions

Hey guys, this thread hasn't seen much action here as of recent, but if anybody has any experience building these motors for boost I've got a build to bounce off ya. So here's my idea:

Rebuild the current motor as it wasn't running when I bought the car and will most likely need some love and affection. I've had my eyes on the Tomei Arms MX8270 turbo kit which was originally showcased in an S14 Zenki. However, considering the KA24DE was stock in the S13 SE hatchbacks (what I own), I figured the kit should work just fine in mine. Tomei does recommend using the Greddy intercooler and suction kit, but they are listed as an S14 intercooler and suction kit. So my main question before diving into more parts and specific details, is will this set-up work? I'm concerned due to this kit being designed for an S14 the intercooler may have issues fitting. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this kit in a S13 hatch?
NMcCabe2gX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #311
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
you should be fine if you just run a s13 intercooler kit, the exhaust manifold turbo placement will be the same, the intercooler piping routing will be different between s13/s14.

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #312
NMcCabe2gX

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
you should be fine if you just run a s13 intercooler kit, the exhaust manifold turbo placement will be the same, the intercooler piping routing will be different between s13/s14.
I know Greddy makes an S13 intercooler, but none claim to be compatible with the Tomei kit. I had a feeling the pipe routing would be different. However, what throws a twist in this whole deal is my car is a 91 240sx SE, but it had a 95 S14 motor swap after the original owner blew up the OE motor. That would still require an S13 intercooler though right? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first 240 and I'm trying to build it from the ground up with no experience whatsoever with Nissan...
Old 04-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #313
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
once you have a ka24de wont matter if its s13/s14 the layout of everything is pretty much the same motor wise. So as far as the turbo kit bolting up it should be similar.

As far as intercool kits goes, get one for a s13 ka24de, the hot pipe going to the turbo will be your only concern. The tomei turbo kit comes with a pipe to connect to the hot side of the turbo that has a slight bend that should line up with the intercooler.

Trial and Error is your friend part of the fun of doing this yourself, worst case you may have to make a small modification to your hot pipe but overall not a big deal.

good luck!

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #314
NMcCabe2gX

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
once you have a ka24de wont matter if its s13/s14 the layout of everything is pretty much the same motor wise. So as far as the turbo kit bolting up it should be similar.

As far as intercool kits goes, get one for a s13 ka24de, the hot pipe going to the turbo will be your only concern. The tomei turbo kit comes with a pipe to connect to the hot side of the turbo that has a slight bend that should line up with the intercooler.

Trial and Error is your friend part of the fun of doing this yourself, worst case you may have to make a small modification to your hot pipe but overall not a big deal.

good luck!
Alright well cool, we'll plug and play a little bit and see if everything irons out. Appreciate the feedback man!
Old 04-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #315
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Question: I have almost everything to turbo my stock KA. It is the engine that came in my s13. It has around 275k miles. Runs great, reliable.

Would it be dumb to turbo this ka without rebuilding it considering the high mileage?

If I compression check it, what numbers would be considered healthy to go ahead and commence the turbo conversion?
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #316
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
Question: I have almost everything to turbo my stock KA. It is the engine that came in my s13. It has around 275k miles. Runs great, reliable.

Would it be dumb to turbo this ka without rebuilding it considering the high mileage?

If I compression check it, what numbers would be considered healthy to go ahead and commence the turbo conversion?

If your going to boost an engine with that many miles you are taking a big gamble. You are now going to put some strain on a tired engine.
Even with good compression numbers it would be a good idea to just refresh everything, coolant lines, vacuum lines, all gaskets and seals I would even go as far as redoing your pistons and rings. If you don’t you’ll be redoing all that soon enough

anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #317
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_240 View Post
If your going to boost an engine with that many miles you are taking a big gamble. You are now going to put some strain on a tired engine.
Even with good compression numbers it would be a good idea to just refresh everything, coolant lines, vacuum lines, all gaskets and seals I would even go as far as redoing your pistons and rings. If you don’t you’ll be redoing all that soon enough

Figured so, just wanted a second opinion. Thanks m8!
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:04 AM   #318
WEGOTBLUNTS

WEGOTBLUNTS is an unknown quantity at this point
I’m a little late but what does the oem ka24de fuel pump look like. Should I go 255 walbro
WEGOTBLUNTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:06 AM   #319
WEGOTBLUNTS

WEGOTBLUNTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
Figured so, just wanted a second opinion. Thanks m8!
Just wanted to know what oem fuel pump I should get to a ka24de, thank you in advance
WEGOTBLUNTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:09 AM   #320
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEGOTBLUNTS View Post
Just wanted to know what oem fuel pump I should get to a ka24de, thank you in advance

SKU: GSS341-400766

anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #321
XakkGrill

XakkGrill is an unknown quantity at this point
It's probably been posted, but I cant find it.

What is the KA24DE block and crank rated for?
XakkGrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #322
KyrinBingaman

KyrinBingaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by XakkGrill View Post
It's probably been posted, but I cant find it.

What is the KA24DE block and crank rated for?
Excerpt from a google search on the KA, from this forum:

The weak part in the ka motor are the pistons, followed by the rods. Martin at Enthalpy advised me to really not push the rods passed 400wtq. And with a stock, non rebuilt motor you are going to blow it fairly quickly, if you dont spin a bearing first. I don't have faith that e85 and a good headgasket are enough to keep the motor together.

Most friends and people i have seen are able to keep their KA's together for more than a couple events when using a t28 making ~300hp and less torque. After that the motors seem to really drop off steeply.
A local (nismofanatic/Cory) managed 500whp on a stock block KA, not tracked, and it did not last long at all on that power. And prior to that he ran around 400 i believe and he said he was rebuilding motors on a regular basis.

If i were you, i would try and aim for 300-350ish whp and less torque. Stay off the limiter or set it lower and pray the rest of the motor is in good shape. I have seen plenty of t25/t28 KA cars that can "keep up" with much faster cars because of their drivers.
Use a turbo that spools quickly and take advantage of the KA's low end torque.

https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=587619

Link to the original thread, hope this helps!
KyrinBingaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #323
gss0023

gss0023 is a well-known jackass
s13 New KA24DE

I recently bought a 91 240sx and it turns out that it has a crack in the head. What other cars use a compatible KA? Also if you know of any places to buy a replacement from I would much appreciate if you linked me to it.
gss0023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #324
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gss0023 View Post
I recently bought a 91 240sx and it turns out that it has a crack in the head. What other cars use a compatible KA? Also if you know of any places to buy a replacement from I would much appreciate if you linked me to it.

Try the for sale thread section here. seen some fs there recently