Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > Mountain States

Mountain States Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do I need 4x4? Colorado bros

I recently was accepted into Veterinary school in Ft. Collins, and so I will be moving to CO. I will be living there for four years, so I'd kinda like to know whats up.

anyway, talked to someone who lived in CO for a time, and he said I might need a 4x4 vehicle, do you think that's necessary? I'm pretty good at driving in snow, so I kinda disregarded it, but if it is like eternal snow in winter then maybe I might need one.

If I need to, I can sell one of my 240's, and maybe some other stuff, and buy a little toyota 4x4.

You guys survive without 4x4 up there?

Also whats it like in CO? is there lots of fun to drive spots? lots of mountain drives? do they test emissions?

Edit: probably would have to find something else, all the toyota pickups seem to be like $8000 for ones with 200k, or cheap 10ft tall ones used for mudding. I would build up an 80's one for cheap, but I don't think I would have time for that
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
nixtr

Trader Rating: (0)
nixtr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
but if it is like eternal snow in winter then maybe I might need one.

texas... floridas cool, independent uncle
nixtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
EnnEssEnnKAT can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
240sx + 5spd + winter tires +driver mod = badass snow machine
EnnEssEnnKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixtr View Post

texas... floridas cool, independent uncle
Thanks fam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnEssEnnKAT View Post
240sx + 5spd + winter tires +driver mod = badass snow machine

I used to drive my MR2 when it snowed, and it worked alright, just didn't know how well a 240 would react to snow.

It doesn't snow super crazy here in texas, so i dunno. A few blizzards once and a while, but its not like there is always snow on the ground all winter or something.

I don't really know what the weather is like in CO, my interview was the first time I've been there as an adult. I suppose I just thought it was snowy mountains or some shit
Old 04-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
When I was stationed in Japan it would snow from about November to April/May without ever really letting up. Per base rules/restrictions, you were only allowed to have one vehicle registered to your name if you're single or two if you are married. Being married we had two cars, but my wife was working so my 180sx was my DD year round. Guys over there that are into drifting DD their drift cars during the winter. All you need is a shit set of suspension to raise the car up and a set of winter wheels/tires. Having to DD a RWD car in constant snow can be a pain in the ass, but most of the time it's quite fun. Trips from my house to the base were entertaining. You CAN survive without 4x4 if you don't mind a little challenge now and then.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
EnnEssEnnKAT can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
Thanks fam

I used to drive my MR2 when it snowed, and it worked alright, just didn't know how well a 240 would react to snow.

It doesn't snow super crazy here in texas, so i dunno. A few blizzards once and a while, but its not like there is always snow on the ground all winter or something.

I don't really know what the weather is like in CO, my interview was the first time I've been there as an adult. I suppose I just thought it was snowy mountains or some shit
I forgot one important ingredient... Welded Diff! You'll have a lot of fun man I'm telling you. I do!
EnnEssEnnKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
When I was stationed in Japan it would snow from about November to April/May without ever really letting up. Per base rules/restrictions, you were only allowed to have one vehicle registered to your name if you're single or two if you are married. Being married we had two cars, but my wife was working so my 180sx was my DD year round. Guys over there that are into drifting DD their drift cars during the winter. All you need is a shit set of suspension to raise the car up and a set of winter wheels/tires. Having to DD a RWD car in constant snow can be a pain in the ass, but most of the time it's quite fun. Trips from my house to the base were entertaining. You CAN survive without 4x4 if you don't mind a little challenge now and then.

Thanks for a serious answer man,

I really didn't want to have to sell anything, I might end up selling stuff just to pay for school though.

So probably what? Throw the stock suspension back on and get some winter tires?

I actually have a truck I can drive, it's rwd , probably will be a little better than a 240, I drive it in snow all the time too,

I really don't know why I asked, I really could have just answered my own question. Sorry to waste everyone's time.

I guess I was just confused, as a vet I know acted like it was gonna be like Alaskan weather conditions or some shit. He's from the south, so normal snow is probably like Ice Age death conditions to him
Old 04-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Fort collins is the shit. Yoga pants capital. Might want 4x4 for winter time. I worked up their for about 8 months, through the dead of winter. Very cool place, all kinds of shit to do. LOTS of hot girls. LOTS. Dispensaries are nice to. Diverse group of people. Everyone seems pretty down to earth. Watch out for bikers though, like pedal bikes, they are hardcore. They have bike lanes on the roads and shit. Denver isn't to far away. Rocky mountain national park is not far either. My old roommate still rents the house down their lol. Oh yea, did I mention there is lots of hot girls lol. I saw grandmas that I would smash. It's one of the places in all of my travels(31 states in the last 4 years) that I would consider moving to. That area in general. Lots of subarus out their.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Short answer is no for living in the front range, snow tires are really nice to have.

Mountains, yes.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
Fort collins is the shit. Yoga pants capital.
No skirts/shorts ? what a rip

JK glad to hear that local conditions are quite favorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post
Short answer is no for living in the front range, snow tires are really nice to have.

Mountains, yes.
cool, that will definitely help me out a bunch, I have to like move and register and shit, so I didn't really have time to sell 240's and shop around for 4x4's.

Are living expenses always high in CO? Housing and stuff seems expensive.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
RHD*bro
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
RHD*bro is on the path to ruinRHD*bro is on the path to ruinRHD*bro is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post

Mountains, yes.
what he said lol i lived there for 1 year it was cool alot of nice rwd cars out there
RHD*bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #12
jduke
Zilvia Member

jduke is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes Colorado is an expensive place to live, well the metro area is at least. I assume FOCO is expensive as well being an upper middle class area/major college town. I personally own a 95 hardbody for winter driving. I like to hit trails in the summer and go up to mountains in the winter so yes like 5280 said for mountains 4x4 in the winter is a MUST. Other wise on the plains (aurora) I've been daily driving RWD cars since I was 16 with no issues as long as I had snow tires and coilovers raised up a bit.
jduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
jduke
Zilvia Member

jduke is an unknown quantity at this point
And if your in the metro area you have to do emissions testing. Your good up in FOCO.
jduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #14
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Got into the school i wanted in state, so it turns out i wont be going to CO, ill be goin south close by houston. I had to cancel my CO school. Texas is much cheaper for me.

Thanks for all the help and info though dudes, thanks for being helpful regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #15
esss13

esss13 is an unknown quantity at this point
As another Houstonian, Welcome to Texas!
esss13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #16
Dagostino480
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Dagostino480 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Im in Cheyenne which is right above fort Collins about 30 minutes. It does get a decent amount of snow there but the keep the road plowed pretty well. Alot of subarus and evos in fo co. Emissions suck from what I heard, but the car scene AWD is pretty good. mountains are everywhere.

I have a jeep so I use that for winter. You can pick up jeeps for like 4-5k and you will also be able to pick up all the girls.
Dagostino480 is offline   Reply With Quote