Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #61
MistyBlueS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
MistyBlueS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This car is so beautiful. Love this build
MistyBlueS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #62
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Excellent progress sir!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #63
a13x.
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
a13x. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
http://www.instagram.com/p/BQ-kFN8jcQw/

a13x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #64
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
solo_ryder is making a name for him/her selfsolo_ryder is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
That thing sounds choppy.. I like it, awesome build.
solo_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #65
hotrodjoseph
Zilvia Member

hotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by a13x. View Post
Thanks Alex!

Wish I could embed it haha

Finally got the timing on the PFC sorted that night. The car seems to run pretty well now. Just need a tune when it gets warmer.

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #66
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
s13driftnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Glad that roll cage found a good home! Excellent work, like your style!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #67
hotrodjoseph
Zilvia Member

hotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura about
Alright time to continue because someone on Instagram yelled at me to update this thread lol (I don't know who you are!)

I waited awhile for the weather to warm up once the car was up and running. We had some warmer days here and there so I began to prep the new dif to go in. I wire brushed and sprayed the rear dif cover. Got oil and filled it up.

Here it in installed.

At the same time I began working on the rear brakes and z32 e brake. I bought new pads and rotors for the rear to match the fronts.

The brake swap was done easily as most of you would know. The e brake on the other hand turned into a nightmare.
I bough the full drum setup from a local and was sold as a "complete kit." As soon as I brought it home i noticed the e brake cables had a vertical mount instead of the factory flat mount.. turns out they were 2 seater cables not 2+2 as I was told. The seller told me that he used them on his car prior and the worked fine. Since I was in the middle of the swap and didnt want to wait/ source new cables I decided to try and install them.

The cables were such a tight fit that I had to route them on an angle across the floor board rather than the proper way in the driveshaft tunnel. The next stage of the nightmare was making a mounting bracket. I had a thick piece of L shaped steel that I cut and grinned to mount up. This took much longer than expected and left little room to actually bolt the cables to it. I finished the bracket and noticed since it was an L shape it was pulling the T on the handbrake pretty low almost touching the driveshaft. I said screw it and put the car down to test it out. Driving around the block i tested the e brake by slightly pulling on it in 1st gear. When I did so a loud bang could be heard and felt in the rear of the car. That cant be right. Also the car wouldn't roll down the driveway in neutral and almost impossible to push.

I figured the cables were to tight, so back on stands the car went. I readjusted the rear drums and retested the handbrake. Again the same bang and resistance. Being fed up now I told the guy the cables were no good and returned them for my money back. I decided to not mess around anymore and ordered new 2+2 cables from frsport. When those came i was able to make my own conversion bracket instead of spending 50$ on an ebay one. It turned out pretty good I think.

Here it is with the cables mounted. I added a bend in it to better clear the driveshaft.

This still wouldn't have solved the banging issue, so upon some research I learned that I had the thinner drum anchor. This caused it to pivot when pulling the e brake and band aground in the rotor. I saw most people made a spacer to space the anchor out so that what I did.

At the same time I had a friend make up some eccentric lock out washers for my rear subframe. They turned out perfect and I didn't have to pay the ridiculous 100$ that these retailers ask.

Tested the car out around the block and it worked perfect. No banging clunking or anything.

Around that time I needed to figure out a way to preserve my BMC from the heat of the turbo/downpipe.
Most people said to ceramic coat the housing or get a turbo blanket. I'm not a big fan of the look of either option and I have always loved how the Japanese guys use a metal curved heat shield. The TRUST one was my ideal choice, but again I felt like 100$ for a thin curved metal part wasn't worth it. I've seen guys on the supra forums make heat shields out of stainless pots so I gave it a go.

I found my pot at Walmart for 8$. It turned out pretty nice if I'd say so.

I also ordered a BMC heat shield and cut it to fit around my turbo shield.

New engine bay complete!

The next step was the tune. I booked it for last Thursday. I was pretty nervous about it having had so many problems with the last motor. I didnt really care about power numbers but just wanted it to hold together. Also I was driving the car there untuned (about 20 min).

I made it in one piece!

Everything went well with the tune. The motor ran healthy and pulled strong. One problem we encountered was that the clutch (Exedy stage 2) slipped once we hit 300wtq. This was at 15lbs. The motor and turbo had a lot more in it but we were restricted. Playing with the timing a bit we ended up with 325 WHP and 300WTQ at 16lbs. I'm pretty happy with these numbers. More than enough to smoke some tires. Once I burn this clutch up I will be swapping to an ORC clutch and possibly throwing in some cams to wake it up.

Here are some clips of the pulls.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BS2iydvj_On/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS3iPJ-l...jpacione&hl=en

The midmount sounds very distinct in person. Im really happy with it. The tuner thought my car was misfiring at idle because "it sounds like a subaru." Hahahaha
Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #68
hotrodjoseph
Zilvia Member

I spent the following days, cleaning up the interior and putting together the exterior of the car.

Finally no more broken lip!

It feels really good having the car fully together again. It also pulls really hard! I havent gone crazy with it yet as I'm on temp stickers.
I'm currently trying to figure out a way to get this thing to pass emissions test.

Thanks for reading!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #69
justchrisyo

justchrisyo is an unknown quantity at this point
It was me that yelled at you on IG lol.
Just wanted to see what was up with this thing!!
Solid updates, keep em coming.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:55 AM   #70
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
pretty rad indeed
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:10 AM   #71
CHiNo4ReaL
Leaky Injector

CHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura about
Looks sick!
CHiNo4ReaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:07 AM   #72
MattTenFour

Trader Rating: (1)
MattTenFour is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I love how concise and thorough this build is! I'm in the process of my own build and your attention to detail is very inspiring. Job well done sir!
MattTenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #73
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Nice work with the heat shielding in the engine bay!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #74
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Attention to detail is excellent as always sir. Love this thing!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 05-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #75
Mofuhcka
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Mofuhcka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What a dream build! So good!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #76
hotrodjoseph
Zilvia Member

A bit of an update here.

So I have been trying to drive the car as much as possible this year since I missed so missed so much time last summer. The car has been driving great and I take it to work mostly on all the sunny days.

I had the opportunity to be featured with a bunch of friends in the new "Japan Special" Edition of PASMAG.
The photos turned out great and its cool to actually see your own car in a magazine. The mags should be on new stands this week I've been told. If anyone wants to check one out. You can also order one from their website.

Two weeks ago our group of friends set up a private skid pad day to mess around. I had been prepping the car the weeks prior to make sure I didn't have any mishaps like last year.

I also picked up a set of SSR Agle Strusses that I'll be using as drift spares. I've always wanted a set since Kawabata's black 180 looked so cool with them.

I also have a full set of AVS Model V's that ill be using as track rims to save the TEs. I have new Zestion's on the front model v's and evergreens on the rears.

The car drove great on the 2 hour hike to the track. Swapped out my rear TEs for AVS and hit the track!

First lap in no brakes! Pedal too the floor. Great! My first lap kill again....

Checked it out and the drivers brake line (braided soft line) blew clean off the hard line coming out of the engine bay. Took a few hour to piece together an old brake line and some hard line to make it work with the z32 calipers. But the car was back derivable around 2pm (rental ended at 5). I was a bit bummed that most of my day had been used up fixing the car as it seems like I always have bad luck.

After a timid first few laps to make sure the brakes didnt explode, I felt better and got more aggressive with my driving. It was my first official time drifting (besides some parking lot skids with a stock KA) and I think I did pretty well.

The motor felt amazing and the TD06 midmount made all the right noises!
There's a vid on my instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVvlhCcF...en-by=jpacione

Towards the end of the day my steering rack started feeling sluggish so I decided to stop so I can drive the car home in one piece. Checked it at home and my rack seals were toast. I ended up getting a good used rack from a friend and swapped it out along with a new front brake line this week.

I just got the car down on the ground this Monday and finally gave it a wash.

Many you have probably seen already but right after the wash is when I began the new look for the car. I had been planning this for a long time. Ever since I decided to paint it blue.

So happy with how it turned out. My friend Mitch made the renders for it with all my collection of detailed logo pics ahah. And big shout out to Damon for helping me bring together all the little details to make the design perfect.

One of the best things that came out of this happened last night. After sharing the new photo of my car on instagram someone forwarded the picture to Teruaki Itai. He left this message with the image. I was able to contact him and chat about the car. He said he was "Very surprised and excited to see it." This truly made my day and I am so proud that he got to see the car. I had never thought that would happen let alone the same day I reveal it!

Cheers!

Joe.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #77
Just Jimmy

Just Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
This car makes me happy.

Layne.
Just Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:28 AM   #78
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Too cool man- excellent execution! I love this thing.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #79
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodjoseph View Post
One of the best things that came out of this happened last night. After sharing the new photo of my car on instagram someone forwarded the picture to Teruaki Itai. He left this message with the image. I was able to contact him and chat about the car. He said he was "Very surprised and excited to see it." This truly made my day and I am so proud that he got to see the car. I had never thought that would happen let alone the same day I reveal it!
So damn cool man. I would be beyond stoked. I second what Damon said about the level of execution. Well done.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #80
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
^ Man that is awesome, its funny because im sure he was shocked to see this type of execution. Car is just LOVELY, Deserves the praise it received.
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #81
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Super hyped for you my man! You've put in a lot of work! I can tell (among others) that you love that era spec of cars, and it's paid off with the execution of the final product.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #82
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
YEEEEEESSSSSS!!! one of my favorite hatches in the states
Old 07-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #83
hotrodjoseph
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshchewuhh View Post
YEEEEEESSSSSS!!! one of my favorite hatches in the states
Canada*

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the kind words!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #84
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
Lmao!!! Yes How about one of my favorite North America*
Old 07-06-2017, 11:31 PM   #85
MrBlonde

MrBlonde is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow that's awesome Itai actually saw it and that you got to speak to him. Excellent work Joe! Setting the bar higher for all of us.
MrBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #86
DrftKingIII
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
DrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
One of my favorite cars I see on my Gram. (y)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #87
jollyroger927
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
jollyroger927 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
That reply from itai is awesome!! This car is amazing man, also my favorite 180sx on this side of the planet. Nailed it with the vinyl.
jollyroger927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #88
Will.
Leaky Injector

Will. is an unknown quantity at this point
too good! looks great
Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #89
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
CBR MILLER MIRROR

cool
Old 09-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #90
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
OMG,...how did I just come across this??
Dude.
Ultimate.
Won!