Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
nick12107

Trader Rating: (0)
nick12107 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ka24de timing chain guide broke

Hey guys hows it going. I'm having a serious issue. I have a ka24de and I now know after reading many forums that the timing chain guid is a pain and should be removed.

My chain guide broke, my car shut off immediately, it allowed me to restart once after trying for a good 10 minutes to start. I made it back home (I was right down the street) and noticed a rattling noise, I thought I might have blown my motor. I took the valve cover off since I heard something going crazy in there and I found that my timing chain guide is now missing (I'm guessing all the pieces fell into the oil pan?). The motor turns over fine, but will not start for the life of me, instead it keeps pack firing. Any info, or links would be awesome, I've searched all over the internet and could fine any situation quite like mine.

Thanks guys
nick12107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Tensioner broke, chain jumped timing, hence the backfire.
The rattle is the chain slapping the cover. Don't try to crank it again until the chains, tensioner, and maybe the guides are replaced. Timing will need to be set again.
Something tells me you're new to this. There's plenty of timing set replacement how tos out there.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
nick12107

well, it was just the top tensioner that broke which everyone takes off anyway. timing is still on, i checked..
Old 01-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Should really start by dropping the pan to get the plastic guide pieces out. With the pan dropped you can remove the lower timing cover which will allow you to easily verify the mechanical timing.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
nick12107

awesome! I'm actually going to pull the motor and start building it so ill try and let you guys know if i figure anything out. thank you!