Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: "Stealth Black" or Chrome Finish
"Stealth Black" 117 79.05%
Chrome 31 20.95%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
kuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
SPL PARTS version 3 arms - new adjuster info and poll

This is our new adjuster design, a hybrid clamp and jam nut combination. This design uses a billet aluminum clamp on the rod end side and a jam nut on the arm side, to lock down your alignment setting.

We are using the clamp design for several reasons: with the old jam nut design, when tightening the jam nut on the rod end, that has a tendency to rotate the rod end. This makes it difficult to hold the alignment setting, as the rod end threads in/out combined with the jam nut stretching the thread, the alignment can shift 1/16" or more. It also makes it difficult to keep the spherical bearing centered to prevent binding under suspension travel. To get an accurate alignment while keeping the bearing centered becomes a tricky juggling act. The clamp design solves all these problems, allowing the alignment to be set without moving the rod end.

We continue to use a jam nut on the arm side because I have found that because of its size, it can be tightened without moving the adjuster or changing the length of the arm.

FWIW the new adjuster drives up our production cost on each pair of arm by $10-15. It is much more expensive than a 20cent jam nut. But for now we are keeping prices unchanged. All our v2 arms can be upgraded to the new adjuster, I will put up the upgrade information later this month.

Here is a picture of all our rear arms equipped with the new adjuster:

I need to poll you guys about using a different finish on our suspension arms. We have been using chrome since the beginning because of its high chip resistance and cosmetic appearance. However chrome being a tough finish, develops micro-cracks and pinholes, which are usually not visible, but can cause small rust bubbles to develop over a long period of time, in certain climates.

I have been looking into different finishing possibilities. I wanted to avoid powdercoating because once chipped, powdercoat tends to come off in chunks. Also it creates problems with threaded parts. The finish I came up with is Cadmium w/ Black Chromate plating, followed by baking to reduce hydrogen embrittlement. Cadmium plating has better corrosion resistance compared to chrome, it will also prevent long term galvanic corrosion of the steel arm if the arm gets exposed to any salt. And because we can get these baked after plating, it will actually make the parts a little stronger (less hydrogen embrittlement). The downside is that it is not as good looking as chrome...

To compare, this is our chromed rear upper arms:

Here is the new "Stealth Black" rear upper arms:

The poll question is: if only the "Stealth Black" finish was available, would that otherwise deter you from buying the product? ie. You would buy the chromed product, but not the "Stealth Black".

It would be too difficult for me to try to stock both finishes, so I have to decide whether to switch everything to "Stealth Black", or keep the chrome.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
Stealth black!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Edit: Read the thread thoroughly this time and the stealth black is an improvement on an already improved item so that's a big yes to Stealth Black then. Are those arms for both the s13 and s14?

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
I love the stealth black!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
sumfknguy
Leaky Injector

sumfknguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sumfknguy Send a message via Yahoo to sumfknguy
stealth black ftw!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
cgtdream
Zilvia Junkie

cgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond repute
The stealth black is lookin good...I would def. buy those over the chromed ones...
Old 05-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

kuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
Edit: Read the thread thoroughly this time and the stealth black is an improvement on an already improved item so that's a big yes to Stealth Black then. Are those arms for both the s13 and s14?
Yup all 3 arms fit S13 and S14 chassis. Our toe arms come with 2 sets of bushings (not shown) that allows it to fit both chassis. The traction rod is common to both. The rear upper arm is also designed to fit on both chassis.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
240trainee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
Stealth black looks good to me.

I need to pick up some shit in the near future from you too.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
MrD
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
MrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stealth black please!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
IStop4NoMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
IStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i agree with stealth black.

Its great how you guys are looking to improve your designs. i do notice with the MR arms i have that the rod ends do twist a lot when trying to lock the jam nut. also the rod end does swivel making it hard to get the rod length correct. keep up the good work.

i wish i had gone with real arms to begin with like SPL
Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Kuah, add a poll to the thread so you don't have to be counting each vote lol

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Stealthy Black for the win.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
Kuah, add a poll to the thread so you don't have to be counting each vote lol
I don't think he can now. Kuah, Let me know if you can't and I'll add it for you.

EDIT: Actually I don't see how to do it either.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #14
gprb25
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
gprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Stealth black FTW.

Lookin good SPL...keep it up
Old 05-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
stealth black ftw!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #16
ROUGE180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
ROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ROUGE180 Send a message via Yahoo to ROUGE180
STEALTH DAWKKKNESSSSS!!

msglngth
Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #17
CAPoweredS14
Zilvia Member

CAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really nice
I say add the poll I wanna vote on Stealth Black. I only wish SPL tagged their products.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #18
CAPoweredS14
Zilvia Member

CAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGE180 View Post
STEALTH DAWKKKNESSSSS!!

msglngth
YES +1 on the Charlie Murphy!!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #19
highoctane
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
highoctane is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
stealth black ftw
Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #20
azndoc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
azndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to azndoc
I like the bling bling, but the stealth black looks cool.

Like sema flat black is what I call it.

As long as it works, I wouldn't care if it was in pink with white strips.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #21
240trainee
Post Whore!

240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
My main concern would be the hex screws that you are using on the collar, I have night mares about those things and how they have a tendency to strip out.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #22
ellisonrox
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
ellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond reputeellisonrox has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
when's v3 due to be out?

looks awesome
Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #23
Harbe
Leaky Injector

Harbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymoreHarbe is not welcome here anymore
your suspension arms rust with the chrome, when do the stealth black rucas come available to buy my vote for the stealth black

how much for whats seen in the pic black rucas
Old 05-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #24
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240trainee View Post
My main concern would be the hex screws that you are using on the collar, I have night mares about those things and how they have a tendency to strip out.
+1.

Make sure you put which size allen key to you.

Stealth black = YES!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #25
gottdeskrieges
Leaky Injector

gottdeskrieges will become famous soon enoughgottdeskrieges will become famous soon enoughgottdeskrieges will become famous soon enoughgottdeskrieges will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to gottdeskrieges
I want gold!!!! HEHE..Stealth black ftw
Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #26
Trion

Trion will become famous soon enoughTrion will become famous soon enoughTrion will become famous soon enoughTrion will become famous soon enoughTrion will become famous soon enough
Impressed by your research, regarding stress/crevice corrosion. This makes me really consider buying a set of arms! Would choose the black, due to it's benefits!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #27
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240trainee View Post
If they strip, just slip off the collar and use a worm gear hose/band clamp while you wait on a new collar from us But not to worry, it doesn't take much torque to lock down the collar, so chances of that happening is slim unless you get overzealous torquing it down.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #28
xdumbxguyx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
xdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
chrome for the bling!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #29
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
FUNCTION>FORM So Black is where it's at! Plus you rarely see the Chrome arms anyway so who cares, i vote for the added strength and corrosion properties.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #30
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisonrox View Post
when's v3 due to be out?
The new adjusters are shipping on all arms as of this week, however the arms will still be chromed. I do have the stealth black RUCAs available now, but toe arms and traction arms will be about 3-4 weeks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbe View Post
how much for whats seen in the pic black rucas
RUCAs are $249. For now there are no changes in pricing on the rear arms between v2 and v3 (chrome or black).
Closed Thread