Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Cudi

Trader Rating: (0)
Cudi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Help, Thanks!

Hey guys,

Im totally new to this site, and you may have already noticed. Some of you may hate, but right now i drive a 1998 Honda prelude. Basically ive always loved 240s and i had an offer proposed to me.

I recieve: 1991 240sx, 5spd, 140k miles on the ka. PLUS $1300
BUT there is some body damage. ill try to post a pic later. but i will basically need a new passenger fender FOR SURE

and i give hime my prelude, 108k miles, AUTO

Let me know what you think, id plan on doing an sr swap, but i would also like to get the damage fixed up and possibly a new front bumper. Is the ka very reliable at 140k? the guy is very knowledgeable and he hasnt tried drifting it lol. he just doesnt want RWD anymore.. and i do

thanks for ANY input
Cudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Plus $1,300 on top?

Check for front end damage, rust, run a compression test on the KA (140K isn't bad), make sure all electronic components work, drive it.
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
drod327
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
drod327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Damn I love preludes. Im a 240 guy now, love em, but hondas is where I started hahaha preludes are sexy.
drod327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Cudi

Yeah man! he'll give me 1,300 bucks along with the car! thats more than enough to get the damage fixed! so im going to have to really check and make sure theres no frame damage. im yet to actually see the car in person, but hes not making it out to be anything fabulous. he just said that he got it during college and planned on swapping an sr into and never got the free time like he had wanted to.. and being that we live in iowa he doesnt want the RWD in the snow anymore.. BUT im going to college, so the only time i would really drive the car is spring and summer.. sounds good to me!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Cudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drod327 View Post
Damn I love preludes. Im a 240 guy now, love em, but hondas is where I started hahaha preludes are sexy.
I know man! i wanted one for soooo long but i could never find a manual. i ended up settling for an auto but it just isnt all that fun.. i still love it though, type SH lip kid and its flamenco black pearl.. sexy.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I wouldn't do it. Even if yours was a base.

IF it was an S14 trade plus that much on top, maybe. Given that the S13 is already 7 years older than your Honda and most likely (but not definitely) been drifted, I'd pass.

I remember when searching for cars, the Prelude was on top of my list. 98-01 Type SH models were asking almost 10k, base models 8k, 5 years ago, but I was able to find a 95 SE S14 for 5k. Even back then there was a big price discrepancy between the two models (S14 vs last gen lude). I'm not sure that the Honda has dropped in value that much since then.

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
SharkMan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (28)
SharkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Preludes

No but as zoopreme stated 140k is decently low. First and for most it depends on how sound the car is. Also how bad the damage is to the body. Drive the car and check if everything functions properly electrically/mechanically. Also even though he has a car that you want you have to remember that he also wants your car and even though its a prelude honestly you car is worth(money wise) way more then his is depending on the condition of your car. That the right idea for him to put money on top but id hold out for a little more if you can and are actually considering going through with the deal. As stated above an s14 would be more of an accurate deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Front hugs or from behind hugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan240 View Post
The Black Star Ninja is my real father...
SharkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Cudi

actually, being that my car is a base, AND an AUTOMATIC, it really only books for like 900 bucks more.. my car is sound, but has a touch or honda rust over the rear wheels.. i got quoted at 300$ to have a new fender and front bumper primed painted and cleared.. if i put them on myself. saying i were to pay $300 for the pair, i would have 600 invested in body repair. also, i would like to get 1500 cash, i think it is manageable being that he contacted ME about MY car.. that would mean i would have another $900 after the body is looking swell.. .. Now.. what would i do with that money... ?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Cudi

ALSO! ive failed to mention that the vehicle has:

adjustable tension rods, energy suspension kit, new calipers, rotors, pads, skunk2 lowering springs, short shifter, extra fuel pump, enough for 2 oil changes of valvoline racing, stage 2 clutch, magma flow cat and dual end muffler, ngk plugs and wires, extra fuel filter, tie rods ends and an extra oil pan gasket..

He seems really knowledgeable.. and some parts are yet to be installed.. it seems as though he just doesnt have the time for an aftermarket for his car..

Let me know what you think. and if i check the car out. are there any specific signs to look for in the KA..?

Thanks a bunch guys
Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Ka's are buff, I wouldn't sweat it. As long as it runs/drives/idles good don't worry about the engine. KA issues are typically electrical and would affect the driveability. I would be most concerned with the chasis. Inspect for accident damage and rust EXTREMELY well.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
The damage is where it'll make or break the deal. If it's structural i.e. frame, front end, etc. damage, it's definitely a pass - that means all your structural integrity is compromised unless you plan on replacing rails, going tubular front, etc. which will be costly depending on who is willing to help you out. If the car looks pristine underneath, the engine bay looks pretty sound, it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

It all is based on your tastes. If you're a Honda person, I almost promise you you'll break the 240, get pissed, and want another Honda. I've seen it happen so many times. With that being said, a KA is cheap enough to replace, easy enough to find, and they take a straight up trashing. Just do your necessary checks like compression and such to ensure you're not set up for failure.

Welcome to the 240 world - hopefully.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Cudi

Hey, i haven't been on here much recently, but thanks to your guys' info I found a few issues with the car. So really i cant thank you guys enough. I'm the type that sees something i want and i just get stuck on it and don't take everything into the picture, so thanks. But Ive been reading up a lot and right now i just want a damn 240 haha. ive spent months looking. Im at college right now at Iowa State so the car would just be in my garage for now. BUT! i think i found a good one. Ive got people offering me 5k for my prelude and i think im going to sell. ALLLLLLLLL i want is an s14. I really do apologize if this isnt exactly where i should be posting this stuff, but im not asking useless bullshit, kinda just informing anyone who cares about my process in finding a 240. and you guys know best. The one i want is a 95 SE, red, 111,000 miles, stock KA, 5 speed, pretty damn clean. Im going to try to get it for as little as possible.. he's asking 5k and ive already convinced him that there isn't a chance of that. I'm a decent talking i am told. haha. But im in school right now for Industrial Design, essentially i draw a lot and i would like to desing cars, but its a very prestigious program so i would go to school for mechanics and auto body if this fails. Hope to be able to show you guys a build thread in the future!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
Hey, i haven't been on here much recently, but thanks to your guys' info I found a few issues with the car. So really i cant thank you guys enough. I'm the type that sees something i want and i just get stuck on it and don't take everything into the picture, so thanks. But Ive been reading up a lot and right now i just want a damn 240 haha. ive spent months looking. Im at college right now at Iowa State so the car would just be in my garage for now. BUT! i think i found a good one. Ive got people offering me 5k for my prelude and i think im going to sell. ALLLLLLLLL i want is an s14. I really do apologize if this isnt exactly where i should be posting this stuff, but im not asking useless bullshit, kinda just informing anyone who cares about my process in finding a 240. and you guys know best. The one i want is a 95 SE, red, 111,000 miles, stock KA, 5 speed, pretty damn clean. Im going to try to get it for as little as possible.. he's asking 5k and ive already convinced him that there isn't a chance of that. I'm a decent talking i am told. haha. But im in school right now for Industrial Design, essentially i draw a lot and i would like to desing cars, but its a very prestigious program so i would go to school for mechanics and auto body if this fails. Hope to be able to show you guys a build thread in the future!
There's nothing worse than buying a 240sx when you have no money left over once buying the car. If you sell your car for $5000 try to ask him if he can do $4500. It's not a good feeling when you have no money available to spend on it. Good luck
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote