Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
NISMOAN

Trader Rating: (0)
NISMOAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I buy a 300zx?

Hey guys, I am pretty new to the Zilvia forums, and wanted to get some advice about purchasing a 300zx. I know these forums are mostly 240sx owners, but I still value your advice!

I found a manual 1996 300zx 2+0 with only 115k miles for a good price and was wondering if it would be a sound purchase. I have saved up my money from working over the summer and plan to dump it all into this car, so I want to know if I will run into a ton of reliability issues. I have heard that 1990-1993 models had injector issues, and know that every year the models got a little more reliable. With 1996 being the last year produced, will it be fairly reliable? The car I am looking at LOOKS like it was maintained well. With that being said, what should I look for if I plan to check out the car?

Thanks guys!
NISMOAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
ReallyBroke
Leaky Injector

ReallyBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
don't do it. they are shit cars that are hard to work on.

I've had to work on a couple of them. both of them were total piles of shit.

that is why they are so cheap.

I mean, if you REALLY like them, sure, buy it. just don't be suprized when it breaks down. because it will break down.

....alot

(unless it was well taken care of, then it will only break down sometimes)

240's are the same way, They break all the time. but they are easy to work on, parts are cheap, etc.

thats why I drive a Honda to work, and a 240 on race day.
ReallyBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
nekrodev
Leaky Injector

nekrodev is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're asking us, then probably not. Go get a Kia Forte or something and leave it alone.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
jdmfan13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
jdmfan13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Don't get the fat chick 300zx men .........if its for drift get a 240sx they are cheap and u can get parts fast
jdmfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
i love my Z. love it even more than my s14.

i love how it rides and i love the twin turbos.

everyone says how much a bitch they are to work on. and sure theyre right. the engine compartment is cramped as fuck. if/when i have to replace my turbos, theyre all the way in the back, next to the firewall. turbo removal/replacement CAN be done in engine bay, but the quicker/faster/more efficient and popular way is to pull the whole engine to make it easier.

so, thats one factor: either you need to have the right tools to be able to do the maintenance/repairs/work/upgrades yourself, or youre gonna spend a lot of money at a shop. same would go for an s chassis, but it is even more so with the Z.

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
winter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
winter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
One does not simply buy a 300ZX. You have to be a weirdo to like the car, because it's an impossible thing to work on.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #7
yakuzabakery
Leaky Injector

yakuzabakery is an unknown quantity at this point
if you plan on keeping it stock yes, if you plan to make it a speed demon, possible but how deep is your wallet is the question. They are hard to work on due to engine bay space however i loved mine when i had it. They dont necessarily break down but engine usually burns oil if it isnt leaking somewhere below, power steering is kind of weird and different so yes, it breaks down sometimes. On the track I was very satisfied with it (thunderhill/buttonwillow) however a little on the heavier side than most that you may compete with. (s2000, miatas, s13)
If you dont have a career started and it'll be your main/daily car and you want to have some fun with it, don't you won't have fun, save the extinct cars for people who have $$. OH and if you want to drift then thats also a no. =]
If your still not convinced, ask twinturbo.net
yakuzabakery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
yakuzabakery
Leaky Injector

yakuzabakery is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW VG30dett twinturbo motor is about 280 hp/ 283tq ish, at least according to wiki so its easy to make the car fast. It is NOT however the most reliable and like previously stated, its hard to work on.
yakuzabakery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
I tell everyone this. Don't make your tuner car your only car.
If you already have a solid daily driver, sure go ahead and buy the z32. I would NOT get it and expect it to be your daily. Any car with that age is going to have maintenance requirements that can make it unreliable. Adding modifications to it will only complicate things. If you have the time/space/$$$ to deal with this then sure, go for it.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
maxondreams

maxondreams is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're asking us, then probably not. Go get a Kia Forte or something and leave it alone.
maxondreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #11
jparker7
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
jparker7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sure just RB25 or ls1 swap it. I hate working on the VG30dett. The only thing that is easy to change is the Fuel filter. There is no room in the engine bay for anything. My buddy has one and when it is running right is sounds great and is pretty fast but it rarely runs right and rides like shit.
jparker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
I must Have the GEM of 300zx's then.
Unreliable? I would say = No. I guess some people are having some Hack people work on thier cars but when you Do it yourself,Its much more satisfying and You won't 2nd guess someone elses work.

Mine had typical Oil leaks when I got it sure, but thats it.INterioir is Perfect,ext is perfect (even more so now) and the power/Torque is a Great change from 240s. (I have owned 6 240's = S13's/S14's)

yeah yeah the weight thing,..well you damn sure can't tell when driving it & thats what Matters to me. My Supra was probably heavier and you can Somewhat feel the weight of that Car but I think the Z's nimble and a blast to drive.

I guess Most peoples Z's are piles of shit then.

Yes, pain in the ass to work on but if you Take the engine out 1 time and fix and relocate/remove a bunch of stuff in the beginning - Its much easier and Will Not have Problems.

Bottom line is If its your 1st "tuner" car and want to have fun...don't do it. Parts are very Expensive for this car and I'm not Sure why but I Like mine alot. Contempated selling it,bought another Slightly Modded SR S14 and after driving it a few weeks and jumping back in my Z - I Sold the S14 within 2 weeks. No COntest

SR20 Z32 was my plan also and that would be best of both worls,although most people will Burn Me alive - Franklin has it done Right, and that would make a Very Quick and Easy to work on.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
NISMOAN

NISMOAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I will pass on the car, even though it is a good deal.
NISMOAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
DS562
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
DS562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
As you've read, a lot of people will say the Z is a difficult car to work on. I find that it is much easier when you strategize before you go and tackle any task...this goes for any chassis. Z32 as your only car? Hell no I would not recommend it. They are, like any other car, reliable when taken care of.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
my z32tt
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
my z32tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISMOAN View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I will pass on the car, even though it is a good deal.
I dont understand why you would expect good feedback for a z32 on a 240sx forum. First of all I own 3 z32's I love all of them. My twin turbo has been the most reliable and it has never failed me. I would say 100% buy the car if its a good deal. Unlike most older model cars these hold their value pretty well. Not saying you will make money on a resale because you won't but it does hold its value better than the Kia forte that someone else refereed you to pickup…. If you want honest and helpful feedback go and join 300zxclub.com… There are a ton of very knowledgeable people on there that will help you out with problems or questions. Do not let these guys fool you from a tremendous timeless classic. Hope this helps!
my z32tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by my z32tt View Post
I dont understand why you would expect good feedback for a z32 on a 240sx forum.
Are you unaware of what website you have logged into? What do you think the Z in Zilvia stands for, Zoolander?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
Are you unaware of what website you have logged into? What do you think the Z in Zilvia stands for, Zoolander?
I guess most people miss it.

Take it to a mechanic or have someone, that knows this stuff, check it out. They can pick out the issues that it might have. Try to haggle too.
My cousin had a NA Z32 and it was awesome, until it broke down.
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
my z32tt
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
my z32tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezahualcoyotl View Post
I guess most people miss it.

Take it to a mechanic or have someone, that knows this stuff, check it out. They can pick out the issues that it might have. Try to haggle too.
My cousin had a NA Z32 and it was awesome, until it broke down.
Yep for sure missed that. Just seems like most all the talk on here is for 240sx guys. Just directing him in a direction just for the z32 guys. But thanks for sharing.
my z32tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Its not the 240 guys fault that Z guys either don't talk much or they are out numbered. Still a Z/Schassis forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
S14kouki_10
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
S14kouki_10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Don't do it.
S14kouki_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #21
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
buy it cheap, daily it and at the same time build sr20det to swap it in the next year
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #22
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
I dont have a 300zx but i do have an infinity j30 ( which shares the exact same engine as the 300zx) honestly for non turbo that thing gets up to speed pretty quickly. From my experience the engine does perform. however it is an ordeal to just perform a basic timing belt replacement. or even a normal belt replacement. But i will say the engine is pretty impressive with twin turbos . They are fast and really good freeway cars.

Its a hit or miss, i think they are attractive and fun. But on the other hand, the money it takes to properly maintain them is pretty substantial.