Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #31
lilpiton
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
lilpiton is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
very good info on here. anyone know which is a better rebuild kit to go with?
lilpiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
Chris_518
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Chris_518 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpiton View Post
very good info on here. anyone know which is a better rebuild kit to go with?
What do you mean which is a better rebuild kit to go with? Theres only 1 kit talked about in this thread. Just go with this one, qaulity of parts is great and the part numbers pretty much match the OEM part numbers. Just go with the kit I used.
Chris_518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #33
I WE TODD ED
Leaky Injector

I WE TODD ED is an unknown quantity at this point
Great info
I WE TODD ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #34
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One question:
Will DTS-BK133CWS rebuild kit fit to JDM S14 Zenki transmission?
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #35
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
SuperBlackS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
As far as I know, which I would deff double check before you pull the trigger, the SR and KA gear-boxes are the same. Gear-ratios, Synchros, ect... Same deal. Bell-housings were different for sure.

Again, I make no claim as to the guaranteed truth of that statement, and double check... You know search... This is a thread about how to rebuild a transmission, and I doubt OP knows for sure if the kit in question will fit, but I would look up the gearbox part numbers from Nissan, either in a forum database or from Nissan specifically. If they match, hey, the rebuild kits probably work in both.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #36
J90lude
Zilvia Junkie

J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude
I'm loving this thread already.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #37
Chris_518
Zilvia Member

People still look at this, damn. Information about the transmissions is out there. As I recall the S13 and S14 transmissions for the KA and SR are the same exact for the bell housings. The gear ratios are the same and the back housings are the same so I don't see why it won't work for your transmission. Im not saying I'm positive that it will work.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #38
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
did you do this on a s13 or 14 trans? yes i know they are the same.

is the kit the same for s13 and 14?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #39
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
what is up with the kit listed below the s14 listing? It is like 271.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #40
s13kam

s13kam is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know where to get carbon syncros for an sr tranny? and maybe a sr specific rebuild kit? I've looked everywhere and can't find crap
s13kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #41
Juantwo3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
Juantwo3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
excellent i needed this
Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #42
Chris_518
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
did you do this on a s13 or 14 trans? yes i know they are the same.

is the kit the same for s13 and 14?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
what is up with the kit listed below the s14 listing? It is like 271.
Do you realize what you just asked?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #43
Chris_518
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13kam View Post
Does anyone know where to get carbon syncros for an sr tranny? and maybe a sr specific rebuild kit? I've looked everywhere and can't find crap
I did a quick look for those synchros and I haven't found anything. I'm not sure if they make them, only reason I say that is because they would have them for the KA transmission since they are the same internally. so with that being said, the rebuild kits will be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantwo3 View Post
excellent i needed this
glad it can help ya out. if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #44
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Commenting to come back to later.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #45
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Im doing this soon. I was hoping you could tell me which "specialty tools" I will definitely need to buy. The FSM lists 14 different tools for the job.

I see for example it looks like you did without the
"ST23810001 adapter setting plate"
I can't even find someone who sells it either, nobody will take the ST part number. It must not be that important?

Updates:
Looks like I will need to buy a 20 ton press (harbor freight: $200) to be able to comfortably do this job in the backyard? Any comment?
I am really curious how a press can used to "separate" the parts. I've never used a real press before (we have one in the inorganic chemistry lab used to create transparent crystal discs for use in the Infrared detection machine but that hardly counts)

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 05-10-2016 at 01:19 PM..
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #46
Chris_518
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Im doing this soon. I was hoping you could tell me which "specialty tools" I will definitely need to buy. The FSM lists 14 different tools for the job.

I can't even find someone who sells it either, nobody will take the ST part number. It must not be that important?

Updates:
Looks like I will need to buy a 20 ton press (harbor freight: $200) to be able to comfortably do this job in the backyard? Any comment?
I am really curious how a press can used to "separate" the parts. I've never used a real press before (we have one in the inorganic chemistry lab used to create transparent crystal discs for use in the Infrared detection machine but that hardly counts)
I never used any special tools. Just basic hand tools and a hydraulic press that we had at school. YouTube does wonders to explain how tools work.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:01 AM   #47
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_518 View Post
I never used any special tools. Just basic hand tools and a hydraulic press that we had at school. YouTube does wonders to explain how tools work.
Something very odd about your thread. You start off with a couple pics of the trans pulled out of the case- and then that is all, it ends there. Kinda sketchy how you simply "bypassed" every single trans picture of the actual rebuild, you claimed " you are on a schedule ".

So, lets say I buy that, you were on a schedule and couldn't take a single picture of the rebuild process. Fine. You claim this thread is for "helping" us to rebuild our transmissions- yet you make absolutely NO mention of the fact you had purchased the incorrect rebuild kit, and that it was missing 2 critical synchro ring parts. Yes, I bought the same kit, actually I bought one of each kit from that exact site- just in case- and discovered this myself when performing the rebuild.

What I think really happened is, you let someone else rebuild the transmission, and they never mentioned the missing rings to you and simply reused the old rings (probably without telling you) and they never took any pictures. You also failed to mention the other inconsistencies in the FSM about the rebuild process, such as the sleeve orientation misprint which shows the groove facing 4th when every SR trans I took apart has it facing 3rd.

If you actually want to help people, you have to start by being honest. You didn't rebuild that trans, either that or, you are misleading everyone deliberately into buying the wrong kit. To all people reading this thread: the kit he posted, and the other kit on that website, are for the KA transmission, not the SR transmission, which yes, is different with respect to two of it's synchro rings ("baulk rings"). I've taken apart all kinds of SR transmissions, both versions, with synchro reverse and non synchro reverse, from 92's and 98's, and type-X, and none of them match up to the KA rebuild kit exactly.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #48
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nothing gets passed old steel trap Tal0n
Old 01-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #49
STURGE78

STURGE78 is an unknown quantity at this point
s14

Quote:
Something very odd about your thread. You start off with a couple pics of the trans pulled out of the case- and then that is all, it ends there. Kinda sketchy how you simply "bypassed" every single trans picture of the actual rebuild, you claimed " you are on a schedule ".

So, lets say I buy that, you were on a schedule and couldn't take a single picture of the rebuild process. Fine. You claim this thread is for "helping" us to rebuild our transmissions- yet you make absolutely NO mention of the fact you had purchased the incorrect rebuild kit, and that it was missing 2 critical synchro ring parts. Yes, I bought the same kit, actually I bought one of each kit from that exact site- just in case- and discovered this myself when performing the rebuild.

What I think really happened is, you let someone else rebuild the transmission, and they never mentioned the missing rings to you and simply reused the old rings (probably without telling you) and they never took any pictures. You also failed to mention the other inconsistencies in the FSM about the rebuild process, such as the sleeve orientation misprint which shows the groove facing 4th when every SR trans I took apart has it facing 3rd.

If you actually want to help people, you have to start by being honest. You didn't rebuild that trans, either that or, you are misleading everyone deliberately into buying the wrong kit. To all people reading this thread: the kit he posted, and the other kit on that website, are for the KA transmission, not the SR transmission, which yes, is different with respect to two of it's synchro rings ("baulk rings"). I've taken apart all kinds of SR transmissions, both versions, with synchro reverse and non synchro reverse, from 92's and 98's, and type-X, and none of them match up to the KA rebuild kit exactly.
So what is the correct rebuild kit for a S14 SR manual trans? Please tell me where I can purchase one.
STURGE78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #50
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
some guy on sxoc posted a nice guide on how to rebuild an s14 gearbox.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #51
STURGE78

STURGE78 is an unknown quantity at this point
s14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
some guy on sxoc posted a nice guide on how to rebuild an s14 gearbox.
Have a link to it?
STURGE78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:21 AM   #52
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?4...earbox+rebuild

try that
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #53
Chris_518
Zilvia Member

Quote:

First off I never said this thread was going to be a how to. This was more so to give people a record of where they can find a rebuild kit and what extra parts are/may be needed, where to find the information on how to rebuild the transmission, and have the OEM part numbers for the parts.

I rebuilt this at school, hence being on a schedule (It was a 3 hour class with only 2 hours of actual working and we didn't have this class every day of the week). Since I was rebuilding this at school my teacher (who was a little bit of a dick) was more interested in us working on it and not taking breaks every couple of minutes to take a picture of every step we did, and because the FSM clearly showed the steps to take. (I will double check my external hard drive when I get done with work and drill tonight to see if I have any other pictures).

I didn't buy the incorrect rebuild kit. Everything that is needed is in that rebuild kit, except for the two lock nuts, and the shifter plate gasket (as noted). The only difference between the two rebuild kits the company sells for the transmission is one has a larger needle bearing (as seen below which is a direct copy from the website)

"FS5W71H 5spd, RWD
240SX 4 cyl 2.4L 1988-93 Aluminum cases, rear load DTS-BK133 $131.98 DTS-BK133BWS $179.10
240SX 4 cyl 2.4L 1993-97 Aluminum cases, rear load DTS-BK133 $131.98 DTS-BK133CWS $165.98
240SX 4 cyl 2.4L 1993-97 Aluminum cases, rear load - 31 .25mm O.D. large pocket needle bearing DTS-BK133E $140.66 DTS-BK133FWS $271.32"

Again, no one built the transmission but myself. There were no inconsistencies because I used the correct FSM.

There's your issue right there. Yes this rebuild was for a KA Transmission (it was originally posted in the main post but apparently got removed when i updated it at one point in time), but if you read through this thread you would have seen multiple posts stating that no one was absolutely sure if this kit would work on a SR. (see exapmles below)

Quote:
I don't see why it wouldn't work, as far as i know the KA/SR/CA transmissions are the same Internally except for the bell housings and i believe the CA transmission has a different 5th gear ratio
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfire View Post
One question:
Will DTS-BK133CWS rebuild kit fit to JDM S14 Zenki transmission?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlackS14 View Post
As far as I know, which I would deff double check before you pull the trigger, the SR and KA gear-boxes are the same. Gear-ratios, Synchros, ect... Same deal. Bell-housings were different for sure.

Again, I make no claim as to the guaranteed truth of that statement, and double check... You know search... This is a thread about how to rebuild a transmission, and I doubt OP knows for sure if the kit in question will fit, but I would look up the gearbox part numbers from Nissan, either in a forum database or from Nissan specifically. If they match, hey, the rebuild kits probably work in both.
Quote:
People still look at this, damn. Information about the transmissions is out there. As I recall the S13 and S14 transmissions for the KA and SR are the same exact for the bell housings. The gear ratios are the same and the back housings are the same so I don't see why it won't work for your transmission. I’m not saying I'm positive that it will work.
Then we get to your first comment on the tread.

Quote:

Updates:
No where in here do you ask "will this work for an SR transmission, you just assumed it was. I know it doesn’t say “KA Transmission” but the thread definitely doesn’t say “This is for a SR Transmission”. If you asked that, I would have told you that I'm not sure and to look further into it.

So before you jump to conclusions you should take your time to get your information correct (read the full thread, it's only 2 pages) before you try accusing me of being dishonest and trying to mislead people.

Last edited by Chris_518; 01-18-2017 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: 2 sentences were the same thing.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #54
Chris_518
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Nothing gets passed old steel trap Tal0n
Looks like something got passed "old steel trap Tal0n"
Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #55
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Chris_518 can you comment on how much power your car makes, how you drive, etc?
Has rebuilding the Ka/Sr/CA transmission been worth it in respect to what purpose your car serves or do you recommend people to just buy a z32 or z33 transmission and swap those in?

Do you have any other recommendations on what other things would help, such as any tips or tricks for a first timer attempting this?
An example of this is where you said
"Also another note, when you’re dissembling it do not let the Synchro Hub and Sleeve separate, they have been connected together for who knows how many miles and they have “married together” they should be put back in the same way they were taking out. A good way to make sure about that is to mark both parts so you can line them up in case they do separate"

Do you have any other tips like that?
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #56
carcrazee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
carcrazee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
okay so has anybody been able to confirm which kit would work for s14 sr trans? trying to follow this up as I will be attempting to rebuild my spare trans
carcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #57
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
I've rebuilt my S13 SR transmission with an aftermarket kit pulled for an S13 240sx. I can confirm that the parts are the same. Rebuilding an SR trans will go a long way for reliability from what I've found. My car makes just over 400whp (340ish TQ) and the rebuild has held up to both road racing and drifting with a 6-puck sprung clutch and 245's for about 3 years now. Granted, I've never grenaded one, but I've trashed syncros and dealt with other issues. For what it's worth though, there are special tools required, but you don't need to purchase the ones from the FSM (if you could). The main shaft nut has to be torqued and cannot be done with a traditional socket. There is also some tricky setup required to press the necessary bearings on and off the main shaft - not to mention reinstalling the shaft assemblies into the center plate simultaneously. It's not a "difficult" task but takes time, patience and close attention to detail (especially when reinstalling the check balls for the shift rails or the inserts/clips at each shift collar). There are a lot of parts and a very specific order to installing everything. PAY ATTENTION THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH!

Tip: When reinstalling a new bearing, place it atop a lite incandescent bulb and allow it to heat up. They'll slide right on once they expand. Makes reassembling a breeze.

Tip2: NEVER press against the side of a gear, you will chip it. Helical gears often have small burrs on the edges of their teeth that create a "high spot" on the surface you're pressing against - localizing the force there. If you do chip a gear, it's usually okay just so long as it has not chipped too far out into the pattern (they run in the middle obviously). I've chipped one in my Jeep and it's still in service, so it's not likely you'll trash it. A good way to prevent it is to sandwich a softer metal (brass, aluminum, etc...) under it so the burr can dig down into it without stressing the gear.

What you should end up with when you're done... Notice that one of the bearings is cut up. That's b/c I couldn't find a way to fixture it in my press and it wasn't possible to get a bearing press plate in there.

What 3/4 gear hub w/syncros looks like off the shaft (5th/rev. is disassembled in the background). It's a good idea to keep as much of this stuff assembled as you pull things apart. That collar in the middle sliding up/down (in this picture), normallly forward/back, crossing the teeth on the yellow syncro and finally over onto the gear hub is what you hear grinding when you "grind your gears". It's important to inspect these teeth on the hub. If you've neglected this repair for some time, damage will be on those gear hub teeth too.

Assembled!

Man it has been a minutes since I've posted anything on Zilvia....

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #58
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
What about the Baulk rings that Kingtalon was talking about? Did it straight up work or you resused them off the old tranny?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #59
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
https://www.allstategear.com/FS5W71-s/2796.htm

I found this site a while back
Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #60
Chris_518
Zilvia Member

Its been a while since I have been on this site so I apologize for the long delay. I found some pictures a while back but never got a chance to upload them so I will do that tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Chris_518 can you comment on how much power your car makes, how you drive, etc?
Has rebuilding the Ka/Sr/CA transmission been worth it in respect to what purpose your car serves or do you recommend people to just buy a z32 or z33 transmission and swap those in?

Do you have any other recommendations on what other things would help, such as any tips or tricks for a first timer attempting this?
An example of this is where you said
"Also another note, when you’re dissembling it do not let the Synchro Hub and Sleeve separate, they have been connected together for who knows how many miles and they have “married together” they should be put back in the same way they were taking out. A good way to make sure about that is to mark both parts so you can line them up in case they do separate"

Do you have any other tips like that?
At the time I did this, I had also rebuilt the motor (bored 20 over, with forged pistons and forged rods, all new bearings, ARP head studs and main studs, refreshed the cylinder head) so i would imagine it wasnt too much more then the stock HP rating. I didn't drive to crazy, I drifted it once in an open parking lot for all of 5 minutes, and I did a decent amount of pulls with it (Never got a chance to bring it to a track, so idk how much faster it got after the rebuilds). For how I drove it, the rebuild of the KA trans was plenty, however I have no experience with the Z32 or Z33 transmission swaps, so i can not speak of which is a better route for someone to go.

As for tips, just take your time and be as neat and organized as you possibly can. You will find that putting everything back together goes much easier if you're organized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
What about the Baulk rings that Kingtalon was talking about? Did it straight up work or you resused them off the old tranny?
As stated in other posts the kit I purchased and showed worked perfect for my transmission and the kit WAS NOT missing any Synchro Rings. When I finished rebuilding my transmission it had all new synchro rings. He was rebuilding a different transmission then I rebuilt and did not confirm that that the parts were compatible before purchasing.