Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need Help Identifying this VLSD 5 bolt diff and axles i picked up.

so heres the deal, i found a guy selling this diff. it has an s13 vlsd cover on the back, what appears to be an s13 housing (?) but it has 5 bolt output shafts. Now, at first i thought it was a j30 housing when i bought it, but it would have the abs sensor on the input shaft, and then i thought it was a 300zx n/a diff, but it would have larger front mount holes wouldnt it? is this just some frankenstein diff? could it be a 180sx vlsd diff (those had a different ring gear didnt they?)

ALSO, it has a 49/12 4.08 vlsd in it. so it has the same vlsd as an s13, 300zx n/a, or r33...

i am just very confused as to what is going on with this thing, i pulled the cover, and inside looks perfect and is adjusted/shimmed perfect, so it doesnt strike me as some hacked together diff. all the measurements match an s13 non-abs open diff on the outside, so it would bolt up to my non abs s13.

pics of diff

Here are the axles, are they just 87-89 300zx axles? they are a little longer than s13 axles. they were free.

thanks for any help...ive been searching everywhere i could on the net, and it seems every picture i find that is supposedly one type of diff, I find another that looks different. I know with j30 axles i could bolt up what i have RIGHT NOW, but i would really like to know exactly what i have before bolting it up.
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

another question, can i swap non vlsd s13 6 bolt output shafts from one of my spare open diffs into a vlsd? are the lengths, spline counts, and overall diameter the same? because that would make this very easy...i cannot find a definite answer on this either...
Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Driftbandit
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Driftbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I wanna say that might be a 180sx diff. I know the z32 N/A and zenki J30 both had 5 bolt flanges but ABS was standard on both and there doesn't appear to be any ABS sensors on it. Those axles aren't from a z31, the flanges are 4 bolt on a z31. Might be z32 but either way they're worthless to you because you can't run the long axles (I know from exp don't waste your time). As for your last question, yes the open diff s13 flanges will fit in your vlsd, BUUUTTTT realize that you will now have another open diff! The vlsd mechanism will not work with the open flanges because the vlsd flanges are longer with extra splines on the ends. Either buy zenki J30 axles (shorter 5 bolt), or buy 6 bolt vlsd output flanges off a vlsd 240sx or kouki J30. Also google this there's literally a million write-ups on it!
Driftbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
andisan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
andisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
If the axles are z32, the shorth one will work on the passanger side on a S13, youll just have to find a driver side axle. I should know i had to figure it out my self
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
R@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftbandit View Post
I wanna say that might be a 180sx diff. I know the z32 N/A and zenki J30 both had 5 bolt flanges but ABS was standard on both and there doesn't appear to be any ABS sensors on it. Those axles aren't from a z31, the flanges are 4 bolt on a z31. Might be z32 but either way they're worthless to you because you can't run the long axles (I know from exp don't waste your time). As for your last question, yes the open diff s13 flanges will fit in your vlsd, BUUUTTTT realize that you will now have another open diff! The vlsd mechanism will not work with the open flanges because the vlsd flanges are longer with extra splines on the ends. Either buy zenki J30 axles (shorter 5 bolt), or buy 6 bolt vlsd output flanges off a vlsd 240sx or kouki J30. Also google this there's literally a million write-ups on it!
This. You owe this man a BJ
R@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
unseen-forces98
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
unseen-forces98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thats a 1993 j30 diff I have the same one.
unseen-forces98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the help guys...I did search google a lot, but like I said there is a lot of contradictory information...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

R@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen-forces98 View Post
Thats a 1993 j30 diff I have the same one.
See, we have people giving incorrect info. It clearly says its a 4.08 diff. J30s came with like 3.91 or something like that. Its either an N/A z32, or JDM s13
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_kidd View Post
See, we have people giving incorrect info. It clearly says its a 4.08 diff. J30s came with like 3.91 or something like that. Its either an N/A z32, or JDM s13

also all J30 ones I've seen have the s14 type of mounting pattern (bushings required)
if I had to guess I'd say 180 vlsd
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
also all J30 ones I've seen have the s14 type of mounting pattern (bushings required)
if I had to guess I'd say 180 vlsd
Dingdingding..winner!
Upon further inspection, this is my answer as well. Has 4 bolt mounting in the back (like s13s) and solid mounting requiring no bushings (also like s13's)
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

The lack of front bushings and abs rings is what told me it wasn't a 300zx rear...

Well this wasn't a bad pickup then! Also...I cross referenced the outputs from a r200 and r200v equipped usdm s13 diff and nissans part numbers are the same...
Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Driftbandit
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
The lack of front bushings and abs rings is what told me it wasn't a 300zx rear...

Well this wasn't a bad pickup then! Also...I cross referenced the outputs from a r200 and r200v equipped usdm s13 diff and nissans part numbers are the same...
Still don't run those open diff flanges! LSD will not engage with them. Don't do any axle mix and matching either, like putting the shorter one you have in the 240 long side. Buy the right shit! It'll make it easier to get replacement parts down the road because you'll know what you have for sure. It is a good deal though, it'll swap right in with no backplate swapping or driveshaft snugness.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Im not going to half ass it dont worry. That's why im asking what I have. Hopefully I can j30 axles or 6 bolt outputs
Old 11-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
The 6-bolt output shafts from a J30 diff will work just fine, that's what I swapped into my Z32 VLSD. Much easier than swapping axles.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

welp...i guess we'll just see what i can find axles/output flanges wise. Id prefer 6 bolt flanges because s13 axles are a lot easier to come by than j30s

anyone know if pep boys/napa/autozone/advanced auto sell j30 axles? cuz ill just buy some new/remanned ones for the price those places usually get axles for (even though i know they are junk axles). just so i can get this thing installed for winter, then in spring switch out the flanges and go back to s13 axles...

my current diff roars and clunks and shakes real bad, so i need to get this thing installed asap, especially before winter hits...(i am also replacing all 4 LCA ball joints on this turd40 of mine)
Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
you are better off using those axles as they are beefier than the stockies.
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangan_cruiser View Post
you are better off using those axles as they are beefier than the stockies.
Do you mean j30s? I don't drift or track the car, it's just my daily so ease of maintenance is my main concern sticking with 6 bolt
Old 11-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Quote:
Do you mean j30s? I don't drift or track the car, it's just my daily so ease of maintenance is my main concern sticking with 6 bolt
what kind of maintenance you talking about j30 axles? they will last long even if you daily drive them. ive been using j30/z32 axles since i got my first s13 and they were fine until one of the axle boots got rip.

if you werent planning to use these vlsd then might as well sell it and go look for j30 6 bolt vlsd.

oh if you try to put the 6 bolt output shaft from open diff its not gonna work. they are shorter compare to an output shaft that came from a vlsd.

next time you buy a part research it, it saves you time and money.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #19
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
what kind of maintenance you talking about j30 axles? they will last long even if you daily drive them. ive been using j30/z32 axles since i got my first s13 and they were fine until one of the axle boots got rip.

if you werent planning to use these vlsd then might as well sell it and go look for j30 6 bolt vlsd.

oh if you try to put the 6 bolt output shaft from open diff its not gonna work. they are shorter compare to an output shaft that came from a vlsd.

next time you buy a part research it, it saves you time and money.
As for maintenance, i meant simply that i have sets of s13 6 bolt axles and they are easier to aquire where i live than j30 axles. and since i put about 400-500 miles on my car a week, speed of maintenance is concern and any day of the week i can get 240 axles, i cannot do so with j30s.

I am planning on using this lsd, so i dont know what you are talking about.

I know i cannot use open diff outputs in my vlsd, which is why i am trying to obtain the correct outputs.

I did research it, but as demonstrated by this thread alone, there is so much miss-information out there, that it hard to tell exactly what you are getting until it is in your hands. I knew what i was getting would work and there were multiple ways to make it work. this thread was meant simply to clarify exactly what i have so that i know, once installed, how to maintain it and know i did it correctly. Is it so wrong to gather information and experience from other people on this forum?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

only way to find to get an output shaft is if you source out another 6 bolt vlsd from j30/s14 or a hicas s13, and pull them out and re install to your current vlsd. but doing that might as well just get a 6 bolt vlsd.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Driftbandit
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
only way to find to get an output shaft is if you source out another 6 bolt vlsd from j30/s14 or a hicas s13, and pull them out and re install to your current vlsd. but doing that might as well just get a 6 bolt vlsd.
I actually tried this yesterday, but it didn't work because the passenger side j30 6 bolt flange has the lock ring indent higher up on the shaft than the 5 bolt z flange. Basically it made the passenger side flange stick out about 1/2" too far. Might be a trick to it but I didn't see it happening. The open diff flanges fit, but were too short, so LSD was not going to engage. In an earlier post I said the 6 bolt vlsd flanges would work, but I only heard this, and again maybe there's a trick. I wouldn't do it though, just get the right axles, the zenki j30's.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
JD@FONTANANISSAN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
JD@FONTANANISSAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I actually tried this yesterday, but it didn't work because the passenger side j30 6 bolt flange has the lock ring indent higher up on the shaft than the 5 bolt z flange. Basically it made the passenger side flange stick out about 1/2" too far. Might be a trick to it but I didn't see it happening. The open diff flanges fit, but were too short, so LSD was not going to engage. In an earlier post I said the 6 bolt vlsd flanges would work, but I only heard this, and again maybe there's a trick. I wouldn't do it though, just get the right axles, the zenki j30's.
Can you please explain what's going on here ^
JD@FONTANANISSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
Driftbandit
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD@FONTANANISSAN View Post
If you read the whole thread it'll make sense. The particular post you're referring to is about putting j30 output flanges, in a z32 diff and how they don't fit. Keep the z32 diff the way it is and buy the zenki j30 axles to make it work in any s chassis. Again if you're still confused read the whole thing.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #24
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD@FONTANANISSAN View Post
read the whole thread my friend
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #25
JD@FONTANANISSAN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
JD@FONTANANISSAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
If you read the whole thread it'll make sense. The particular post you're referring to is about putting j30 output flanges, in a z32 diff and how they don't fit. Keep the z32 diff the way it is and buy the zenki j30 axles to make it work in any s chassis. Again if you're still confused read the whole thing.
i was actually joking..izzy, is that you?
JD@FONTANANISSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
ive actually found a few people selling output shafts by themselves already, so its apparently not the only way. I am just trying to nail down with them what the diff was they came out of, but i also have some people with 5 bolt axles, so either way, ive got it figured.

also id rather have a 4.08 vlsd than a j30 3.93 one...
Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #27
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Quote:
ive actually found a few people selling output shafts by themselves already, so its apparently not the only way. I am just trying to nail down with them what the diff was they came out of, but i also have some people with 5 bolt axles, so either way, ive got it figured.

also id rather have a 4.08 vlsd than a j30 3.93 one...
for daily driving that 3.93 will help your gas mileage

Last edited by wangan_cruiser; 11-11-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Old 11-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #28
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
for daily driving that 3.93 will help your gas mileage
its more important to me to keep the gearing the same for speedo...plus i dont plan on upgrading power much, so id rather have the extra "OOooomph" from the 4.08 gear

plus i already own it...

my buddy is hooking me up, and getting me remanufactured axles for a j30 for 50 a piece, so ill have axles for what i've got, problem solved
Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #29
bladetech8
Zilvia Addict

bladetech8 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's definitely a 91-95 180SX VLSD, I have the exact same thing. That 4-bolt cooling finned diff cover is only obtainable from JDM S13/180SX that came with VLSD's if I am not mistaken.

JDM S13/180SX 5-Bolt axles are exactly the same length as the USDM 6-Bolt 240SX axles.
The J30 passenger side axle is going to be a hair bit longer, but the J30 driver side axle will be straight bolt on.

I'd recommend you get the Z32 driver side axle (shorter one on a Z32) for your 240SX passenger side axle (longer one on a 240SX) if you're looking for a bolt on 5-bolt axle for the passenger side. The Z32 has a much wider track than the 240SX, so that's why you can use the shorter Z32 axle in place of the longer 240SX axle.

Here's some measurements:

S13 Stock Axle lengths:
(At Rest State) measured from flange to axle end of thread:
- Driver Side: 23.5"
- Passenger Side: 25.0"

J30 Stock Axle Lengths:
(At Rest State) measured from flange to axle end of thread:
- Driver Side: 23.5"
- Passenger Side: 25.5"

[Note the J30 Passenger side axles being 1/2" longer than the 240SX]

I also highly recommend you do NOT use any remanufactured axles from Autozone, Kragen, O'Reilly's, NAPA, etc.. Those are horribly remanufactured axles from A1-CarDone and they will be clicking on you the second you put them on.. Unless you get super lucky and score a good one on your first try.. Most people have to go through 3-6 axles before finding one that doesn't click immediately.. So I'd stick to USED OEM axles if possible! Just look for one that has decent condition CV boots.
bladetech8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #30
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

thanks for the spot on quantitative information man!! most appreciated. I still havnt solved the axle issue, as in finding anything.