Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #121
Enjin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Enjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Enjin Send a message via Yahoo to Enjin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX View Post
i dont know if i even have any of the older pics, the car has come such a long way, if you could pin point an area of the begining it would help me out alot i think...
ah I mean the pics that you originally posted in the thread a couple of years ago

I am at the starting stages of prepping my 240 for track and was interested to see what you had done!

the car looks excellent as of now!

1991 Nissan 240sx

www.tractionoptional.com

Enjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #122
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
well the car didnt look much different beesides interior, seats and wheels....not much has changed for outside appearence....

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #123
Enjin
Zilvia Junkie

Enjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Enjin Send a message via Yahoo to Enjin
really I was looking to see what you did behind the dashboard. that is the phase Im working on right now.

It is kind of fun tracing which wire goes to what, to see if I need it. I was amazed at how much wiring and relays could weigh!

I am in the process of tracing each wire to see what I NEED... because I am trying to also get this car registered, leaving only the essential functions, lights, horn, turn signals, and reverse, as well as the track essentials, blower motor, ducting, alternator, fuel pump, etc.

Learning is half the fun tho.

1991 Nissan 240sx

www.tractionoptional.com

Enjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #124
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
UPDATE!!!!

no changes to car for the rest of this year, unless something breaks....then its all out suspension swap, bushing changes and a very few control arm changes....

VIDEO!!!

from Hyperfest this year, soon to be posted is video from VIR Grand
[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6706228089276073532&q=Casey+at+Sum[/ame] mit+Point+main&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=se arch&plindex=0

Old 09-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #125
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

some VIR Grand footage with MDA.....

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1165199365012568112"]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1165199365012568112[/ame]

Old 10-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #126
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

UPDATE!!!!

Sumit Main just felt my wrath.... I ran a best of 1:26 according to my bro stop-watch, which i believe is awesome considering my current setup. I had video of my last session out with the instructors, but my tie-strap held down the zoom button and ruined the video and made it just license plates and track surface

Car had HORRIBLE shudder in teh front end, which led us to believe many bad bushings considering they are prolly 16yrs old anyways. So comming soon to a forums near you, bushing install, coilover swap and adjustments, cam install, SAFC install and tuning. All before christmas hopefully, well see how that turns out.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #127
wannabe_drifter
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
wannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gotta see SAFC install and tuning !!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #128
91gst
Leaky Injector

91gst is on a distinguished road
sweet casey!! you were definitely flying...
91gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #129
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
UPDATE!!!!

no changes to car for the rest of this year, unless something breaks....then its all out suspension swap, bushing changes and a very few control arm changes....

VIDEO!!!

from Hyperfest this year, soon to be posted is video from VIR Grand
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=Casey+at+Sum mit+Point+main&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=se arch&plindex=0
looks like you need a bit more power in the straights?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #130
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

no need for more power, itll hurt me int he turns, i can almost keep up with C6 Vetts if i make the last turn perfect, otherwise its bye bye...

Old 10-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #131
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
no need for more power, itll hurt me int he turns, i can almost keep up with C6 Vetts if i make the last turn perfect, otherwise its bye bye...
you just need to modulate throttle.

I mean my car is probalby making as much hp as your car doest at 6500 at like 4000 rpms.

turbo lag is an illusion.

either way sick ride
Old 10-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #132
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
you just need to modulate throttle.

I mean my car is probalby making as much hp as your car doest at 6500 at like 4000 rpms.

turbo lag is an illusion.

either way sick ride
modulating the throttle and dealing with HP is different matters, its easier to drive the car with current power and maybe a tad more, like 30+ maybe. Its not a matter of needing more power either, its a matter of needs, i dont need more power to go faster i just need to modify my line a little and maybe do a little suspension work. More power will just force me to adjust my whole driving technique and not just throttle.

i aree lag is managable, but why be forced to manage things just for power on the straits, id rather not have to manage anything and concentrate on other things while driving.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #133
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S14SwimShark105
Once you break everything down and max out your driving skills, max out the tires, max out the suspension, and max out your engine, it all comes down to " HORSEPOWER WINS RACES" I am running stock kade24 with just your basic boltons with almost all suspension done and sure I can keep up with Evo's and Mini Copper S's, and Corvettes in the corners but once we hit the straight aways, I get smoked hard. And if you go head to head with a guy that has the same skill as you or maybe even a little less skill but has more power, he will beat you.

Although you could catch up to them in the corners, they will most likely gain more ground on you on the straight away than you can make up in the corners.

Trust me, I am all about corners, but there comes a certain time when you just need more power.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #134
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

horse power does a good bit, but for legitimate racing, at our track (2.2mi loop) the Honda Challenge H1 cars are just as fast at the american iron Extreme cars, 2x the horsepower easily, but the same lap times. Skill and setup wins races, only horsepower if you know how to use it. Dragracing is another story tho....

Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #135
all stock
Zilvia Junkie

all stock is on the path to ruinall stock is on the path to ruin
HC vs American Iron? Hmm.

Realize at this point, a second or 2 makes a huge difference in lap times. Especially the shorter the course.

HP may win races, but realize that w2w competition rules are set in attempt to level the playing field. And the more you compete and lose, the lower your spec weight gets, better of a chance you have.

NASA PTD/SCCA ITS
all stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #136
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by all stock View Post
HC vs American Iron? Hmm.

Realize at this point, a second or 2 makes a huge difference in lap times. Especially the shorter the course.

HP may win races, but realize that w2w competition rules are set in attempt to level the playing field. And the more you compete and lose, the lower your spec weight gets, better of a chance you have.

its not HC vs AI, its just two classes out on track at the same time. SCCA puts several classes on track together at the same time as well.

NASA doesnt allow you to change your cars weight if you lose alot, rules are rules to keep cars similar, not level the playing field because your a slower driver in comparison to a faster one....

Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #137
all stock
Zilvia Junkie

all stock is on the path to ruinall stock is on the path to ruin
Quote:
its not HC vs AI, its just two classes out on track at the same time. SCCA puts several classes on track together at the same time as well.

NASA doesnt allow you to change your cars weight if you lose alot, rules are rules to keep cars similar, not level the playing field because your a slower driver in comparison to a faster one....
well, the lack of podiums on a car deemed uncompetitive will lower the spec weight, however it'll take 1 season before the committee deems it allowable. just as with cars that consistantly win. H4's champion 3 seasons running, the chassis gained over 50lbs on their spec weight, according to the rules.

NASA doesn't allow you personally to change the spec weight to your PERSONAL vehicle, they can make it a rule that applies to all cars.

NASA PTD/SCCA ITS
all stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #138
Paul2x
Zilvia Addict

Paul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Paul2x
Very cool vid's, nice wide fast track! wow

wish i could get out their.

Professional Driver/ Instructor for Hire
Paul2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #139
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

changes all comming togeather.

FMIC and Rad fully mounted, IC tubes being welded this week, all new exhaust gaskets on order, FULLRace manifold going on with new gaskets, and DP will be getting a flex pipe to help reduce vibration cracks in exhaust components. Cams and Injectors are installed along with soon-to-be SAFC for mild tuning of 11psi. Car should make about 240whp and a very agressive powerband for lower RPM.

keep in touch if you want to see pics of everythign done and IC ductign finished in the next few weeks.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #140
Cloud9
Zilvia Junkie

Cloud9 is making a name for him/her selfCloud9 is making a name for him/her self
Sic vid and car setup, no offense but the car sounded like you were in to high of a gear almost the entire time. keep us posted tho.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #141
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

most of the time i was in high rpm range, not keeping it at redline all the time, but within proper power band range so i woudl stay in boost at all times. If i stay in lower gears the car is st too high of rpm, and causes throttle inputs to unsettle the car which ends up in lots of steering correction and loss of control

its a big thing i learned this past year on high speed tracks, high gears lead to high speeds and smoother steering inputs due to a settled car. I changed my top speed on one major section of a track here by about 40mph sicen last year.....and its a miltiple S situation. My VIR video will show it, i shoudl make comparison videos from last year if i can find them. you will notice lap times drop by tons and speeds increase.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #142
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Man, I amso envious. I so wanna race my car, but I also love driving my car on the street. Awesome setup, especially ove he elevation change in the middle of VIR. WOW that suby is quick. I have been doing some AutoXing and 4WD's are really taking over the scene. Out of the box they are already so quick.

What are your suspension settings if I might ask? THanks! NVM... Found it.

Pretty close to mine. I am think RT's 225 and 245, but thinking 255's. How is running so wide up front because my setup is for autox, turn in on 245's on front might hurt me. 255 on 8" rim is that ok?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #143
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
What are your suspension settings if I might ask? THanks! NVM... Found it.

Pretty close to mine. I am think RT's 225 and 245, but thinking 255's. How is running so wide up front because my setup is for autox, turn in on 245's on front might hurt me. 255 on 8" rim is that ok?
suspension setup is changing very soon, as we speak actually.

Shocks - Ohlins race valved shocks
Springs - Eibach 450/350 Ground Control setup
Bushings - Energy SUspension Hyperflex bushings
Arms - Battle Version RUCA

Camber at -2* f/r

wide tires front and rear is a must on 240's, they tend to be a little heavy and understeer, the wider tires help guide the front of the car and get me in the direction i want to go. I plan to eventually run 275 all four corners, this way i can rotate wheels, and dont have to worry about just front sets or just rear sets. Mostly beacuse i source used race tires for all my events, and its easier to get full sets of the same sizes rather then sets with different sizes.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #144
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
horse power does a good bit, but for legitimate racing, at our track (2.2mi loop) the Honda Challenge H1 cars are just as fast at the american iron Extreme cars, 2x the horsepower easily, but the same lap times. Skill and setup wins races, only horsepower if you know how to use it. Dragracing is another story tho....
Truer words have not been spoken in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14SwimShark105 View Post
Once you break everything down and max out your driving skills, max out the tires, max out the suspension, and max out your engine, it all comes down to " HORSEPOWER WINS RACES" I am running stock kade24 with just your basic boltons with almost all suspension done and sure I can keep up with Evo's and Mini Copper S's, and Corvettes in the corners but once we hit the straight aways, I get smoked hard. And if you go head to head with a guy that has the same skill as you or maybe even a little less skill but has more power, he will beat you.

Although you could catch up to them in the corners, they will most likely gain more ground on you on the straight away than you can make up in the corners.

Trust me, I am all about corners, but there comes a certain time when you just need more power.
Are you racing for points, championships, sponsorships, or just plain ego? Why does it matter if you can past [car x] on the straight?

More power = more speed = early braking = more chances to miss brake markers = more worn out brakes/tyres = less $$$

All you need is enough power to transfer weight front to rear as necessary. Any stock car will have enough power to do this. Anything above that is only used from the apex to the corner exit. In transitions there is no exit so you cannot apply full power.

Too much power is a liability between the entry point and the apex.

I say keep the power exactly where it is. Tune the chassis and the driver.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #145
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

i am in complete agreement with keeping power low and learning the car, and upgrading suspension slowly as track time increases to maximize speed and momentum driving.

although i have just taken a few small steps to increase my power and suspension at the same time.

power is going up from 220whp to about 250whp with better torque curve.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #146
fly

fly is an unknown quantity at this point
i may have missed it but why are you ditching the v-mount?
fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #147
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
Man your thread is awesome +1 for awesome progress thread.. really enjoyed reading the entire thing... lol @ oil cooler thing earlier in thread :P
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #148
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
i may have missed it but why are you ditching the v-mount?
v-mount took up alot of space that was needed for other things. It was a tad dangerous setup in terms roadracing, one off track experience into a rough territory would potentially bust the radiator and ruin a weekend of fun for me. So the logical decision was to switch it out, for a safer setup.

Quote:
Man your thread is awesome +1 for awesome progress thread.. really enjoyed reading the entire thing... lol @ oil cooler thing earlier in thread :P
thanks, keep checking in for more progress pics and updates, many soon to come, Old oil cooler setu pwas alright, but deff just a temporary design, that is being changed yet again for a much cooler setup, sorry for the play on words.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #149
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
some asshole negged me for complimenting u what a loser
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #150
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ahmed View Post
some asshole negged me for complimenting u what a loser
someone sent you a PM givin you sh*t? what did they say?