Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:04 AM   #1
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Why the "Hoonigan Hate"?

I have been seeing a lot of "Hoonigan Hate" on the forum as of late, and was just wondering what it is all about?

I have followed the brand and their athletes for quite some time, and cannot figure out why anyone would have hate for a brand represented by drivers such as: Ken Block, Ryan Tuerck, Vaughn Gitten, Chris Forsberg, BJ Baldwin, and many more.

I have supported this brand since its inception, and do so because I enjoy the media content the brand and its athletes produce (Gymkhana, Recoil, Drift Garage, etc).

I will admit I was awash in disappointment when I started seeing 2003 Honda Civics with automatic transmissions, fart can exhaust, spray painted wheels, and a huge hoonigan banners on the windshields, but that's not going to stop me from buying a cool shirt from a brand that embodies the motorsports I enjoy so much.

Please speak freely, as I know you will. Lol. I am not here to change your mind, I was just curious, and wanted to hear your opinions.

LET THE DISCUSSIONS BEGIN

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
wanna240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
wanna240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think it is because so many "drifters" with their beat up 240s are throwing the sticker on their car to act super cool and to look like a pro drifter. This in turn would create a bad image for the brand and make it look like it is full of ricers.
wanna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees_Garage View Post
I will admit I was awash in disappointment when I started seeing 240SXs with fart can exhaust, spray painted wheels, and a huge hoonigan banners on the windshields, but that's not going to stop me from buying a cool shirt from a brand that embodies the motorsports I enjoy so much.
FIXED your quote

Honda Civics rocking shitty mods vs. 240sx repping shitty mods is the same thing. They're both shitty. There are a lot of 240s that have the same bullshit you just described. If you look carefully enough you'll see them on this very forum.

A celebrity endorsing a product doesn't make them immediately cool. They're getting paid to put those banners on their SPONSORED car (not personal car) and paid to wear those shirts during poster signing sessions at Formula D.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
because they coined the phrase "Ain't Care".

They created a likeness to the idea of fucking up your car and leaving it like that "cause ain't care drift slut".

Join any other car scene with the intent of ruining one or more of their respective chassis while making their whole scene look bad.
I'd bet my bottom dollar they wouldn't take too kindly to that.
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
Dirk Jan
Leaky Injector

Dirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of light
It's not particularly the brand itself that's criticized. It's the people supporting it in a disgusting way by driving like an asshole in a shitty automobile. Just like here in the Netherlands there's a group of racist, hardcore dance music loving, bald headed cunts wearing Lonsdale clothing. While Lonsdale is a company making boxing clothes and doesn't have anything to do with racism at all, the brand is still frowned upon because of these people.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Because roughly 75% of the cars in the Doing It Wrong thread have Hoonigan stickers on them. I give props to how the brand started, but the brand's recognition on the street & amatuer level has devolved into the lowest common denominator in enthusiast circles. Despite it's origin, the term 'Hoonigan' has become synonymous/interchangeable with 'shitbox' or 'bag of dicks'. Who in their right mind would want to be associated with the braindead ppl who PURPOSEFULLY make their car(s) look like the vehicular equipivalent of Necrotizing fasciitis?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #7
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Who the eff cares!??!? "Hoonigan" is not putting food on my table or $$$ in my pocket, so why give a damn who is hating on it??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Jan View Post
It's not particularly the brand itself that's criticized. It's the people supporting it in a disgusting way by driving like an asshole in a shitty automobile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Because roughly 75% of the cars in the Doing It Wrong thread have Hoonigan stickers on them. I give props to how the brand started, but the brand's recognition on the street & amatuer level has devolved into the lowest common denominator in enthusiast circles.
I can get behind this, but I have the feeling that most people commenting on this thread are not all that familiar with how the brand started, or how phrases such as "Ain't Care" were coined. It had nothing to do with having garbage vehicles, but was a phrase coined due to Ken Block finishing races/events at all cost, and not allowing issues such as broken wheels, etc, to stop him from completing the Rally, etc.

While I am a fan of the brand, because of the drivers they sponsor, I understand shying away from it due to the type of rides representing them on the street.

FYI: I'm not a fanboy, and wouldn't rock a Hoonigan, or any other banner on my car unless I was sponsored.

@lees_garage
Old 08-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
^^^Lol... Who hasn't seen Ken's Gymkhana videos? They're pretty damn popular, you know. A lot people believe in 'guilt by association'. I'd rather not be associated with those Hoonigan idiots and be presumed to find their antics acceptable. It's hard enough just being a 30 something 240sx owner when these cars are so closely linked to 'Hoonigan'. No joke: a lot of guys are selling their 240's from the stigma of shame & immaturity Hoonigan has brought to this community.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
^^^Lol... Who hasn't seen Ken's Gymkhana videos? They're pretty damn popular, you know. A lot people believe in 'guilt by association'. I'd rather not be associated with those Hoonigan idiots and be presumed to find their antics acceptable. It's hard enough just being a 30 something 240sx owner when these cars are so closely linked to 'Hoonigan'. No joke: a lot of guys are selling their 240's from the stigma of shame & immaturity Hoonigan has brought to this community.
I didn't know that about Ken and I highly doubt these fucks do either.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
There once was a place, where humans would race
their cars shining and showing, each thought himself an ace
that was the land where two fourtys would face
the challenge of stating their superior case

now staring outside, into a dark street with an idea
i thought to myself I shall build once again, a car that was real
I started planning and writing, the parts I would buy
but when I looked for these things, I started to cry
for not one good token or strap I could find,
not one sharp crisp steel object that I had in mind

wiping the dirt from hands, and tears from eyes
effort redoubled I went back in time,
to find out what happened to my great old plans
to see what took over the two fourty fans

my research revealed a wealth of poor news
the number of cars produced wrecked modified and abused
nevertheless I thought there was still time,
I pulled out the classifieds, hoping and praying inside

As day woke the birds, my body exhausted,
I fell to the floor thinking I'd lost it
rolling my head to the side I face out the door
thinking of fun old time races, resting aces and more
I stayed there like a corpse staring into snow and the sun,
I had looked high and low, and found not a one
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #12
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I have the feeling that most people commenting on this thread are not all that familiar with how the brand started, or how phrases such as "Ain't Care" were coined. It had nothing to do with having garbage vehicles, but was a phrase coined due to Ken Block finishing races/events at all cost, and not allowing issues such as broken wheels, etc, to stop him from completing the Rally, etc.
I have the feeling you just referred to me as "most people."

your ken block story is very inspiring. finish at all costs. sure.

but that's called dedication.
this ain't care bullshit is such a plague that it's ruined any rich history Hoonigan might have had.

No one denies they are pretty damn good drivers and the gymkhana shit is cool and all that but they essentially laid the ground work for all these ziptied, mis-matched, rusted out, basically totaled, shit sleds that plague the streets because the owners claim to be "pro am drift stars who just want to finish the event."

Most of those dudes have never been to an event but they use "Ain't Care" to;
1. Look like they have driven an event and actually have to spend their money on entrance fees, tires, etc.
2. Can tell everyone the dent from the previous owner and and all other cheap/bullshit mods is because drift life.

motorsport is not cheap.
I understand the 'by any means' mentality but what Hoonigan has become is on a whole new plane.

pretty much everything they represent is so embarrassing that most of us feel the need to make very bold/definitive statements in letting others know where we stand on the issue.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #13
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty So View Post
your ken block story is very inspiring. finish at all costs. sure.

but that's called dedication.
this ain't care bullshit is such a plague that it's ruined any rich history Hoonigan might have had.

No one denies they are pretty damn good drivers and the gymkhana shit is cool and all that but they essentially laid the ground work for all these ziptied, mis-matched, rusted out, basically totaled, shit sleds that plague the streets because the owners claim to be "pro am drift stars who just want to finish the event."
I don't understand how you think The Hoonigans "laid the footwork". Can you name any of their sponsored drivers who epitomize this? The people your using as an example are Wanna-be's who bought stickers, they aren't sponsored, or affiliated with The Hoonigans.

The Hoonigans have created a brand that is currently viral, thanks to several of their videos, and half of the 17yr old fart can driving posers in the country are buying stickers. Any time you have something go viral your going to have some idiots jumping on the bandwagon, but this doesn't mean you've deviated from your original intent or roots.

By your logic, you should stop wearing Nikes because lots of overweight people commit crimes in them. This must mean every person who wears Nikes is a fat criminal.

Quote:
I understand the 'by any means' mentality but what Hoonigan has become is on a whole new plane.
Again, they havent become anything they werent in the beginning, aside from going viral, and having lots of posers purchase stickers.

@lees_garage
Old 08-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
simply - they seem to be encouraging everything i hate about drifting.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I don't understand how you think The Hoonigans "laid the footwork". Can you name any of their sponsored drivers who epitomize this?
uh how about the main fuckin dude.. what's his name? oh yeah ken block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AALxZaXJiKA

when i think of hoonigan i think of a retard in a shit missile.
when i think of nike, i think of a shoe.
they're pretty much incomparable considering nike has never been known for supporting overweight criminals (which is by far the most random comparison i've read in a while) but hoonigan has been known for shitty cars and driving for quite a while now.

Last edited by Almighty So; 08-07-2015 at 08:49 AM..
Old 08-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #16
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

this isn't even being dedicated to motorsport this is just being a dumb fuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8roRkCYE-8

car is literally fucking on fire? ain't care bro i'm hoonin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HegW8C3deM

"wheel explodes? just ain't care. more throttle!"

deolio nailed it.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
wanna240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
this isn't even being dedicated to motorsport this is just being a dumb fuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8roRkCYE-8

car is literally fucking on fire? ain't care bro i'm hoonin

Lol, I agree with you fully on that one. Being dedicated is not the same as being a dumbass. When your car is ON FIRE, it's a sign for competent people to get out.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #18
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

for the safety of all other drivers involved and even spectators in close proximity, shut your fucking vehicle off and extinguish the fire.

if you want to show us how dedicated you are, fix that shit and come back to the next one.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #19
wanna240
Zilvia Member

Yep. Agreed.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #20
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
S14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
This right here...seriously I have thought about ditching my 240 just cause of the stigma, good thing not too many people have 240's where I live but still it sucks to know that thy will be judged by the bullshit of others...
S14kouki805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #21
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
I have followed the brand and their athletes for quite some time, and cannot figure out why anyone would have hate for a brand represented by drivers such as: Ken Block, Ryan Tuerck, Vaughn Gitten, Chris Forsberg, BJ Baldwin, and many more.

I have supported this brand since its inception, and do so because I enjoy the media content the brand and its athletes produce (Gymkhana, Recoil, Drift Garage, etc).
Wonder what kind of rigorous cheeseburger conditioning these athletes go through in order to retain their tip top beer gut shape.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Double cheeseburger with extra large fries and a 64 oz coke. #aintcare #cholestrolife

Probably why the teams go to great lengths to reduce the weight of the car
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #23
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Thats why god invented the clean and jerk

Sometimes, it means one thing (pull the weight, and put it over head)

and other times, it means something else (kick the shit out of a jerk then clean up the blood)

Whats it called when a word can have more than one meaning? So thats what this is I guess.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #24
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Double entendre?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #25
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Here I've been doing the "clean and jerk" all wrong since I was 13.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #26
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It's like asking why people hate herpes. Hoonigan is herpes, a blight upon our community.
imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #27
STEEZxIT
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
STEEZxIT is on the path to ruinSTEEZxIT is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
why is it cool to not care?
if i lost a wheel mid race, i would be courteous to other drivers and, oh i don't know, not drive flat out because that would be fucking stupid and dangerous to everyone else
Old 08-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #28
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

If you break down and have to stop in stage rally you will receive a DNF. If you are in the points for the championship, finishing that stage may be all you need to win.

It's not uncommon for rally drivers to press on with a somewhat broken car as long as it will drive.

I will admit that driving with the car on fire is a bit much, but I don't think what is portrayed in the videos above is anything new to rally. Antics like these have been going on for years, but Ken is the one who publicized them, and is making a fortune off of it.

@lees_garage
Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #29
STEEZxIT
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
STEEZxIT is on the path to ruinSTEEZxIT is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
racing on a rally stage is quite different from being on a traditional racetrack surrounded by other drivers.

rally stages are formatted in such a way that all drivers at least start with a safety cushion of a few minutes distance from each other (iirc). that is the one exception to "finishing at all costs"
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #30
simmode1
Post Whore!

Dude, the first time I saw the "Ain't Care" logo, it was NOT during competition. It was during a Gymkhana filming where Block destroyed a tire, knowingly continued to run flat out all the way down to the goddamn rim, ruining both his TE37's AND the tarmac track that he was racing on. I can't imagine the repair bill that must have taken for that track to be functional again. From that display, I surmised that "Ain't Care" isn't about drivers winning at all costs. It's about not caring about your car, not caring about other people's property & just generally, not caring about public safety. Seriously, FUCK THAT SHIT. It's indefensible, dude. Why even bother? NO ONE AROUND HERE LIKE THESE HOONIGAN TARDS. I guarantee you: If I see any local HOONtard trying to emulate this BS that they see online while I'm driving around with my family in the car, I'm calling the cops on them and giving detailed descriptions of their shit piles. You want respect as a driver? Learn DISCIPLINE! You don't see Formula 1 doing this kind of fuckery.