Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Resq

Trader Rating: (0)
Resq is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My exhaust got louder and my clutch feels like it's slipping.

Hello Zilvia I'm a new poster with limited experience in mechanics I bought my S13 out of pure love for the car scene. Recently I had my fuel pump, clutch, flywheel, headers gasket and tranny changed at once. After all this my car got louder for some reason. When I'm on a steady acceleration in 1st gear the car makes a popping noise like if it's struggling to push air out. It almost sounds like its backfiring. My clutch feels like it's slipping on idle my RPMs drop to almost 0, it doesn't idle over 1k. Also in neutral when moving the shift knob left and right it feels like it gets stuck moving it from the far left to the far right around the 5th/R gears. It also feels like I'm not pushing out the same amount of power I was before all this. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Also my exhaust is throwing a grayish smoke. Smells like burnt plastic.
Resq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
run to the store and grab yourself some socks then stuff them in the exhaust as far as you can. it will muffle the exhaust down and wont be so loud anymore.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Resq

Can you not
Old 12-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
snags
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
snags is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If it happened that recently after having work done, maybe bring it back to the mechanic.. sounds like your clutch may not be bled properly..
As far as being louder, its probably because you have just installed your headers.. either that or you blew out your factory exhaust sock silencer
snags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
easiest way unless you want to use a 1/2" thickness Plate about the diameter of your exhaust then weld it inside your exhaust.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
Resq

Quote:
Originally Posted by snags View Post
If it happened that recently after having work done, maybe bring it back to the mechanic.. sounds like your clutch may not be bled properly..
As far as being louder, its probably because you have just installed your headers.. either that or you blew out your factory exhaust sock silencer
The only thing they did to the headers was change the gasket from it. It's the same headers from before. The sound when in steady acceleration is like a backfire but a lot more nasty sounding.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
what do you mean, the clutch feels like its slipping at idle? like the car is in neutral but you still feel the car moving forward???

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
zacharybackus

zacharybackus is an unknown quantity at this point
zacharybackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
Resq

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
what do you mean, the clutch feels like its slipping at idle? like the car is in neutral but you still feel the car moving forward???

It feels like the clutch is slipping (,) at idle my rpm drops to almost 0.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
that makes no sense. answer my question

1: when you have the car in neutral, with the car on flat ground, and your foot OFF the brakes, does the car try to move forward?

if your idle is dropping to 0 and the engine stalls out, you need to fix this issue first. if you are getting a bunch of smoke out the tail pipe, and you had NO smoke before, you need to go back to the mechanic.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
easiest way unless you want to use a 1/2" thickness Plate about the diameter of your exhaust then weld it inside your exhaust.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Resq

Quote:
that makes no sense. answer my question

1: when you have the car in neutral, with the car on flat ground, and your foot OFF the brakes, does the car try to move forward?

if your idle is dropping to 0 and the engine stalls out, you need to fix this issue first. if you are getting a bunch of smoke out the tail pipe, and you had NO smoke before, you need to go back to the mechanic.
No it doesn't try and move forward it just stays stagnant.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
Mr.s14.5
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Mr.s14.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
lol this thread
Mr.s14.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
Mr.s14.5
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Mr.s14.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
s13silvia123 you get the troll of the year award please dont stop.
Mr.s14.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
Resq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.s14.5 View Post
lol this thread
Lol sorry for trying to get help when I legit have no one else to ask. MY BAD
Old 12-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #16
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
we just have a load of members who like to talk shit... ignore them

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #17
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resq View Post
No it doesn't try and move forward it just stays stagnant.
ok. so the clutch slipping has nothing to do with the rpm dropping to zero. separate issues.

now. when you put the car in gear, and let the clutch out, does the car move?

if so, when you give it gas, do the rpms shoot up without the car speeding up?

Quote:
Old 12-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #18
Resq

Quote:
ok. so the clutch slipping has nothing to do with the rpm dropping to zero. separate issues.

Yes and sorta when it's in gear the car moves forward when putting gas but it does feel like I've lost a lot of power. Also when I downshift the engine doesn't really get as loud as it used. Sorry if I sound like a total moron I just have littler experience with Manuel cars.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #19
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Frankly sounds like a couple different issues at the same time. Personally I wouldn't have driven it away from your mechanics shop, but you should get back their ASAP and get it straightened out if you actually paid someone for this work and have the papers to prove it.

It'll probably get you a lot further then Zilvians' speculation and flaming. Good luck
Old 12-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #20
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
The bottom line is that you don't even have the automotive knowledge to accurately describe what's going on. Take the car back to the mechanic, give them a shot to make it right. After that, maybe another shop is in order. You've got a few totally different issues. I suspect that a shitty mechanic is the REAL issue...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #21
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Go watch some youtube videos on how to drive a manual transmission, and use what you learn to eliminate any parts of your question that describe you just not knowing what you're doing.

Might be that there's nothing wrong, from your description. It's possible to make a manual car do all those things, depending on how and what you do wrong.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #22
Resq

Quote:

Here's a video of how it sounds on steady idle, when I got the car it sure as hell didn't sound like this it's a lot more aggressive and louder at the end of the video is a example of how it would sound when I'm driving also if you could hear the pause after revs that's when the RPM's drop to almost 0 it doesn't stall btw.
https://youtu.be/O8b-QobURAc
Old 12-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #23
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
What type of fuel pump did you purchase? Are you throwing a check engine light (yellow light with an engine sign)?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #24
Resq

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
What type of fuel pump did you purchase? Are you throwing a check engine light (yellow light with an engine sign)?
The OEM one no check engine light
Old 12-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #25
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

The only vid I can compare it to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyaI55Rgiko
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #26
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:

Quote:
Yes and sorta when it's in gear the car moves forward when putting gas but it does feel like I've lost a lot of power. Also when I downshift the engine doesn't really get as loud as it used. Sorry if I sound like a total moron I just have littler experience with Manuel cars.

Quote:
After all this my car got louder for some reason.
First, there is most definitely an exhaust leak. Take it back and get that fixed.

Second, the easy way to determine if your clutch is going out is to put the car in 4th or 5th, rev it and drop the clutch from 4-5K; if it dies that's good, if it revs up and doesn't die, not so good.

EDIT:
Quote:
clutch, flywheel and tranny changed at once.
Being that you got your clutch replaced, it shouldn't be doing anything different. HOWEVER, now that you have a new clutch, you engagement point is VERY likely different than it felt before the work was done. Have them adjust the engagement (It's here and in the FSM: http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=273470) or get used to the new engagement point.

No idea on the smoke or smell, but maybe it is residual from the install; grease, left over plastic from sloppy work, or some rubber hose butted up against the headers thats burning?
Old 12-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #27
Resq

Thank you all for your replies and helpful input, I'll keep you'll updated on what happens. I appreciate you all. 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽
Old 12-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #28
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post
First, there is most definitely an exhaust leak. Take it back and get that fixed.

Second, the easy way to determine if your clutch is going out is to put the car in 4th or 5th, rev it and drop the clutch from 4-5K; if it dies that's good, if it revs up and doesn't die, not so good.

EDIT:

Being that you got your clutch replaced, it shouldn't be doing anything different. HOWEVER, now that you have a new clutch, you engagement point is VERY likely different than it felt before the work was done. Have them adjust the engagement (It's here and in the FSM: http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=273470) or get used to the new engagement point.

No idea on the smoke or smell, but maybe it is residual from the install; grease, left over plastic from sloppy work, or some rubber hose butted up against the headers thats burning?
There's not shit for adjustment.

I mean, you can tell the difference, but it will function properly at any point in the adjustment range, as I recall.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #29
Resq

Alright took the car to a new shop to get a 2nd opinion on Monday, I was told it's the MAF sensor and my spark plug. Guy told me it would run about $600 just for the MAF sensor alone. Does this sound like it could be causing my issues?
Old 01-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #30
snags
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
snags is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
if it was the maf it would be throwing a code that you could verify yourself. also if he says the plugs are bad, change them yourself
snags is offline   Reply With Quote