Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Loomis112
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Loomis112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Comfortable suspension

I have been doing some research into some replacement suspension.

My s14 currently has Ksport's up front and Nismo's in the back.

The ride is shit. Shit as can be I hate it.

This car will not be drifted or tracked what so ever. Although i'd like it to be lower I was thinking about just getting KYB's and some lowering springs but my friend insists I get Tein coils at least so I wanna know what you guys think

Adjustable height would be nice but I can't find a soft spring rate on many coilovers.
Loomis112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
kilamax03
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
kilamax03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i ride on power by max and i love them.. ride is super smooth, and people can't believe the ride when they are in the car.. pretty smooth over train tracks and all ..... and I'm slammed
kilamax03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
You want a pleasant ride? Stock springs with stock shocks. Brand new shocks from KYB.

Cheap and pleasant.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
yzrider450f
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
yzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've had Fortunes, BC's, Apexi's, and now air and the best and most enjoyable my car ever was was on KYB's and Tein springs.

If you don't care about being slammed I would definitely recommend spring/strut combo over coils.
yzrider450f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #5
Loomis112
Zilvia Member

I'm convinced that with a KYB/ megan lowering spring setup will look fine on my 18" wheels but If there's a nice street coil over with a lower spring rating id probably shot for that but I haven't really seen one.

Yes i'm wanting a comfortable setup i've had plenty of slammed rides and im just getting sick of going to work on what feels like horseback
Old 08-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
I currently have HKS coilovers and am very impressed with how comfortable the ride is, much softer than my old Stance GR's.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
My!
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
My! will become famous soon enoughMy! will become famous soon enoughMy! will become famous soon enoughMy! will become famous soon enoughMy! will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I had kyb's and megan springs on my 13, ride was comfy but lacking in performance; spring rates were hella soft but if youre not planning on driving aggressively then you'll be fine. I'd say if you got a nice set of coilovers and then set them up properly you'd have a comfortable and progressive ride, but that's just my opinion. I had the kyb's and megans for years, I think like 5 or so. Im on stance coilovers now and I have them 2 clicks softer than 0 in the rear, and 1 less than 0 on the fronts and they ride awesome with my 2 way, not slammed either. cue trap air-horn noises.
My! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
Loomis112
Zilvia Member

I would keep the coils but they're blown. So yeah I think im gonna do a kyb/megan setup probably.

I wonder tho how it would look with my 18" wheels with 225/50rs tho
Old 08-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #9
omgosh
Zilvia Member

omgosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Koni Yellows and lowering springs of your choice. More work to install but way better than KYB for ride quality.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:10 AM   #10
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
GPSports or DG5's with 8k/6k swift springs. Maybe even Fortune 500's with the same spring rate if you're on a budget.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:42 AM   #11
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Want comfy ?

first, get 17". You won't get comfy with 18", there just is not enough tyre wall.

Then get ready to spend 2000 to 3000$ in suspensions. I have FA500s, they are good, more comfy than any other sub 2000$ coilover i tried, but thats it. They are better than tein mono flex, which for their price is astonishing, but they arent to the level of 3 way adjustable suspensions, which is what you need for comfortable and efficient ride (you need to be able to set up high speed and low speed bump and rebound). Maybe swift springs can help, i don't know.

Otherwise, you need to go softer, so drop the coilovers and get standard struts and dampers. I know swift makes strut springs that lower the car just enough to not mess with suspension geometry, couple that with some good dampers and 17" and you are all set.

The other solution is to get a confy daily for the same price or less.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
One more vote for OEM replacement struts (KWB) and some decent and resonable lowering springs.
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #13
omgosh
Zilvia Member

omgosh is an unknown quantity at this point
How bout this, stock suspension and drop knuckles lol
Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I think crousti has a great idea, spend the $1500 you would have spent on coilovers on an accord instead.

that way you can keep the 240 as a race car status. XD
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote