Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
TougeLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
2014. Year of the R32 and S13?

I KNOW! this subject has been beaten to death on every car forum everywhere.
What people get caught up in is the newer gtrs, sti, supra, etc. and just importing cars in general.

I HAVE searched and could not find my way through the crap for an anwser,

BUT to my understanding of the law is that beginning in late 2013 and really starting in 2014 the 25 year import law is lifted on vehicles built in late 1988-89 which would include r32s and s13s?

I have searched, not only this forum, but others and could not find a clear answer on this EXACT topic.

These cars will begin to be legally imported and more importantly, registered and titled in 2014?

If i missed anything i apologize.

you can skip the
TougeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
smokescreen240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
smokescreen240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yay! no more emmissions!
smokescreen240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

so does that mean no crash test either?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Schwiegz
Leaky Injector

Schwiegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Your late to the party,

Sincerely, Canada
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
208s14.5
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
208s14.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
To my best understanding you are correct. I'm sure there is more legality to the issue but that would be something to look into upon purchase of the car. 10 more years and we can see legal s15.
208s14.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
ocn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ocn is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yes.. but that also mean prices in japan inflate, i would have banked if i still had my r32 gtr .. i was stationed in japan for 4yrs .. i bought mine for $6500 had to sell it when i left nov 12, my buddy owns it now, the prices are already goin up. you can expect it to be like state side prices for a registered one 20k+ when 2014 rolls around due to demand.
ocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwiegz View Post
Your're late to the party,

Sincerely, canada
fixed. you can only capitalize countries that the world takes seriously.

but you have to deal with......canada.

Sincerely,

Can hear the waves and smell salt water from my backyard.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
yes.. but that also mean prices in japan inflate, i would have banked if i still had my r32 gtr .. i was stationed in japan for 4yrs .. i bought mine for $6500 had to sell it when i left nov 12, my buddy owns it now, the prices are already goin up. you can expect it to be like state side prices for a registered one 20k+ when 2014 rolls around due to demand.
my thoughts exactly! I have a few friends military and citizens that I would trust purchasing with my money and storing for a year.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
The NHTSA website says that a car 25 years or older doesn't have to comply with FMVSS and would be eligible for importation:

"A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used."

From what I've heard/read in the past is that were all SOL in the skyline r32 dept. though..
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeLove View Post

Sincerely,

today i learned : canada has no coast lines.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Jez
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Jez is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
fixed. you can only capitalize countries that the world takes seriously.

but you have to deal with......canada.

Sincerely,

Bitchy jealousy will get you no where!

Oh, its you're NOT your're

Sincerely, I'm off to my garage to work on my S14 Silvia!
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
up in smoke
Leaky Injector

up in smoke is an unknown quantity at this point
I am sure they will do something last minute to prevent it from happening. The government does not want you to have those cars in this country and there unfortunately isn't anything you can do about it. They are a much greater force with more power and money than anyone who is concerned about importation of historic Japanese cars. Or, as mentioned before, the price will be driven up so high to the point where it is not sensible to import these cars. There is a reason why you don't see many Hakosuka's stateside, the government nor the Japanese want us to have these cars and will do what they must to prevent it.
up in smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It might be legal to import them but it does not stop the government from coming and taking them. They still after event the off road only skylines that are over here that were imported legally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Bambi
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Bambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
It might be legal to import them but it does not stop the government from coming and taking them. They still after event the off road only skylines that are over here that were imported legally.
Not to bust your balls or argue.

But with the words you said alone, if it's going to be legal to import and title (and in turn, insure) these cars then why will they take them away? Why can't we have them? Why?
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
It's impossible because I tried once. Took out 4 telephone polls and a girl scout concession stand. All the thin mints and samoas couldn't even be salvaged.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
@(O_o)@
Leaky Injector

@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light@(O_o)@ is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post

But with the words you said alone, if it's going to be legal to import and title (and in turn, insure) these cars then why will they take them away? Why can't we have them? Why?
Because Motorex.
@(O_o)@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
You should be able to start importing them now. Most 1989 R32's were manufactured in 88 right?

According to what was posted above about the 25 year rule, it's about the manufactured date, not the year sold.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post

Because US GOVT. Ill see if I can dig up the long article about people legally importing show and race cars for off road use only and having the feds show up and confiscate them without reason.

EDIT: NICO has a extensive article on importation of the Skyline, not the article I mentioned, that lists many of the issues you will face.
Quote:

Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
ocn
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
Because US GOVT. Ill see if I can dig up the long article about people legally importing show and race cars for off road use only and having the feds show up and confiscate them without reason.

EDIT: NICO has a extensive article on importation of the Skyline, not the article I mentioned, that lists many of the issues you will face.
that has to do with importing them NOW, not in 2014 when they become LEGAL to import. yes you bring one in now it can be takin from you in the event you didn't do shit legally .. lol wtf is so difficult to understand the a vehicle 25yrs or older is legal to bring straight into the US without any crash testing or emission standards. put it to you this way the GOVERNMENT (US DOD) will ship skyline of legally registered skylines to the US.. mater of fact i know a few people that have brought over gtx skylines an 85 turenos with no problems just ship an show proper documentation at the port.. motor rex is the reason if you have one now it will be takin from you as they falsified safety information an crash standards all of which matters due to the fact they dont fall under the 25yrs law... untill 2014, then that shit goes out the window and it doesnt really matter as it will no longer be required to pass anything.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
The issue was having the r32 meet FMVSS(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), but since it is going to be over 25 years old in '14 then it can be exempt from meeting those standards. That is not to say that it will be exempt from smog. The r32 will still have to pass emmissions at least in CA as per the pre-'75 rule.

I wouldn't doubt the gov passing something to make it illegal once again to import these cars. The word "skyline" seems to have the same effect as the word "anthrax" when it comes to imports.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
ocn
Zilvia Member

CA will probably be the only state you CAN"T have one due to emmisions IE smog ..
japans emmision standards are higher then the US and cali's stupid extra emission (smog) check will f*#$ it up for you cali cat's
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Some good points in here. Thank guys.

YOU'RE right agamemnon, The manufacture date is typically a year before the actual sold date. Following the laws verbiage, we should be able to import them in 2013, maybe late 2013.

I have some good leads on importers of clips so I am hoping they can prove useful for the entire car
Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
The issue was having the r32 meet FMVSS(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), but since it is going to be over 25 years old in '14 then it can be exempt from meeting those standards. That is not to say that it will be exempt from smog. The r32 will still have to pass emmissions at least in CA as per the pre-'75 rule.

I wouldn't doubt the gov passing something to make it illegal once again to import these cars. The word "skyline" seems to have the same effect as the word "anthrax" when it comes to imports.
And I will put it to you this way, first post was as a joke, and that last one was as a fact for the here and now in response to Bambi's question about them taking legally imported skylines.

Who knows they might take them still they might not, they don't need reasoning because they are the US Govt after all. That right there is pretty much a do what you want card.
Quote:

Old 03-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #23
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Some good points in here. Thank guys.

YOU'RE right agamemnon, The manufacture date is typically a year before the actual sold date. Following the laws verbiage, we should be able to import them in 2013, maybe late 2013.

I have some good leads on importers of clips so I am hoping they can prove useful for the entire car
And it comes down to the month too. I got a buddy who missed shipping his R31 because the manufacturing month was off by 2 months from the time he had to ship it.

As far as the whole shipping in R32s and S13s, I wouldnt want one unless I brought it in myself. Most of the lot left behind are rusted buckets. Not a whole lot of clean, unmolested 25 yr old cars left behind in Japan, unless you wanna pay out of the ass for it. When its expensive even by japanese standards, itll be double the price when it hits the states.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #24
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I see mass exportation of 89' model year GTR's leaving the Canadian market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
And it comes down to the month too. I got a buddy who missed shipping his R31 because the manufacturing month was off by 2 months from the time he had to ship it.
Yeppers so unless you have the option to have it parked for a while, I'd verify the build month as well. They usually post it up on the Japanese Auction sites I visit.
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #25
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Issue you'd see is alot of these cars left behind are pretty rusty...It wasn't uncommon to find an R32 GTR for $4k due to rust. Good, unrusted GTRs can command $8k-10k. Now GTS-Ts on the other hand are another story. You can get a GTS-T for $2k thats in good condistion. $4k-5k with an RB25 in it.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #26
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
You should be able to start importing them now. Most 1989 R32's were manufactured in 88 right?

According to what was posted above about the 25 year rule, it's about the manufactured date, not the year sold.
No. First R32 was manufactured in April of 1989. First GTR was August of 1989.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
California is stiff fucked. You have to meet carb regardless of import regulations unless the vehicle is older than 1972.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #28
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

The carb i can deal with, the no title regardless is what prevented from even trying before.

I reached out to some friends in NZ and they are telling me the exporting costs shouldnt be too much because NZ doesnt want a bunch of old junky cars around. If we buy them at a decent price, its almost considered a favor lol.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #29
ThatOneSilvia

ThatOneSilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Would be nice to see a concept picture
ThatOneSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
No. First R32 was manufactured in April of 1989. First GTR was August of 1989.
Yes, you are correct.

But it still would appear that 2013 is the year the people can start bringing them in.
It looks especially easy if you're importing from Canada.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote