Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
Vicious Beaner!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (38)
Vicious Beaner! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
s15 S15 pumpkin diff In s13

Can't seem to find a complete solid answer .so was wondering if anyone has actually done this and if it works. I know you can swap the guts of an s15 hlsd to a s13 s14 etc . My question is does a complete s15 differential fit into a s13 by changing over the rear cover and using solid bushing kits with longer bolts(App kit) as if you were doing a j30 or z32 diff swap?
If you guys can shed any light thanks
Vicious Beaner! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
majgoldfish

Trader Rating: (5)
majgoldfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So I cannot remember for sure but I had either an s14 or s13 r200 case with an s13 cover and s15 internals in my s13 previously. So it's possible, to get it in your car. Might just have to swap cases, I don't know enough about s15 case design but I think because the speed sensor is in them? That the s15 case doesn't work.

Hoping for someone to confirm and or correct me.
majgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You would need to use an "abs" driveshaft due to the increased snout length of the s15 differential. Otherwise s14 style solid front bushings with an s13 rear cover SHOULD allow you to bolt it up.
Or you could convert to an s14/s15 rear subframe.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
You would need to use an "abs" driveshaft due to the increased snout length of the s15 differential. Otherwise s14 style solid front bushings with an s13 rear cover SHOULD allow you to bolt it up.
Or you could convert to an s14/s15 rear subframe.

You'd benefit just swapping the entire subframe. If you're interested in going so far as to swap the diff you may as well.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have an S15 diff with 3.69 R&P in a s15 pumpkin. The case is exactly the same as any r200 vlsd.
shaggyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by DarkSlide77; 01-12-2018 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Double
DarkSlide77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

DarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really nice
Trying to get a taller diff in my s13

I'm looking into swapping the s15 diff internals into an s13 pumpkin. Is this possible? Or can I at least just put a taller ring in the s13 diff I already have.... I just want to be able to buy a quality 1.5 way diff like OS Giken but I want the bigger ratio than a 4.10:1 the s13 has. I would go q45 or j30 but they don't sell qualiy aftermarket diffs for those. What can I do??? Thanks to anyone who replies
Old 01-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSlide77 View Post
I'm looking into swapping the s15 diff internals into an s13 pumpkin. Is this possible? Or can I at least just put a taller ring in the s13 diff I already have.... I just want to be able to buy a quality 1.5 way diff like OS Giken but I want the bigger ratio than a 4.10:1 the s13 has. I would go q45 or j30 but they don't sell qualiy aftermarket diffs for those. What can I do??? Thanks to anyone who replies
You can just swap the ring and pinion to a ratio of your choosing. Just make sure its a R&P for a r200.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
You can just swap the ring and pinion to a ratio of your choosing. Just make sure its a R&P for a r200.
Not exactly, in the case of the S15 helical, the actual limited slip unit will swap over to any r200 ring gear, but the gearset (ring and pinion) will only fit in the r200 units that have the slightly longer nose.

i.e. if your s13 had an open diff and no abs, you will not be able to swap the s15 ring and pinion because the shaft of the pinion gear is much longer than the one for the s13 open diff.

However, I know of at least one company (SPL ) that makes solid conversion bushings to run an s14/s15 pumpkin on a S13 subframe. I am using these bushings on my car (s15 diff/pumpkin on an s13 subframe).

If you want to keep the stock final drive ration (4.08), then just swap over the LSD unit and stubs into your s13 pumpkin. If you want to run 3.69 gears, then all you need is the s13 rear diff cover, conversion bushings, and a shorter driveshaft.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjake View Post
Not exactly, in the case of the S15 helical, the actual limited slip unit will swap over to any r200 ring gear, but the gearset (ring and pinion) will only fit in the r200 units that have the slightly longer nose.

i.e. if your s13 had an open diff and no abs, you will not be able to swap the s15 ring and pinion because the shaft of the pinion gear is much longer than the one for the s13 open diff.

However, I know of at least one company (SPL ) that makes solid conversion bushings to run an s14/s15 pumpkin on a S13 subframe. I am using these bushings on my car (s15 diff/pumpkin on an s13 subframe).

If you want to keep the stock final drive ration (4.08), then just swap over the LSD unit and stubs into your s13 pumpkin. If you want to run 3.69 gears, then all you need is the s13 rear diff cover, conversion bushings, and a shorter driveshaft.

All of this
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #11
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjake View Post

False. The pinion gears are the same length no matter if its ABS or Non-ABS. I have taken apart over 20 different S13 / S14 / S15 differentials so I know this to be a 100% fact. What changes in length is the pinion flange and the pumpkin casting itself. What will happen is the ABS models the pinion gear will appear more sunk in while the Non-ABS protrudes more.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
False. The pinion gears are the same length no matter if its ABS or Non-ABS. I have taken apart over 20 different S13 / S14 / S15 differentials so I know this to be a 100% fact. What changes in length is the pinion flange and the pumpkin casting itself. What will happen is the ABS models the pinion gear will appear more sunk in while the Non-ABS protrudes more.

Shit...you’re right. Maybe I was thinking of the different sizes of pinion bearings?
Either way, it was easier for me to swap the whole pumpkin than swap the guts
Old 01-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the replies guys.
I do have an s14 open diff pumpkin(I also have those metal bushings for it) and an s13 open diff pumpkin. Unfortunately I did purchase a sikky driveshaft to fit a stock s13 open diff for a t56 tranny (bought couple years ago...didn't know what I was getting myself into lol)
I doubt I got this right.... But All I have to do is put an S15
-unmodified differential
-shims
-Output flanges
-and pinion??? Into the s14 or s13 pumpkin
-I'm assuming different axles and possibly hubs as well.....right?
Hoping I can get away with the driveshaft...
Sorry got a little confused with everyone correcting eachother....

Last edited by DarkSlide77; 01-13-2018 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Just needed to
Old 01-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #14
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Shaggyjake, how did you do you s15 diff swap.
What axles did you use?
And what driveshaft did you use?

Last edited by DarkSlide77; 01-13-2018 at 12:18 PM..