Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #1201
inuyasha3466
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
inuyasha3466 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Congrats. So sweet.
inuyasha3466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #1202
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I was drooling over your car that weekend. Great looking setup, and functions well, too.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #1203
Mintyboy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Mintyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey guys,
Just a few quick questions. I am starting to get more into Time attack and was reading in the thread and a few other places, but is there a reason you guys choose 17s over 18s and also squared over staggered setups? I see a lot of 240s with the staggered 18x9.5/10.5 look and it looks cool, but translating that into racing, I see people saying 17x9.5 squared is the way to go. I understand that 17s are cheaper and can fit more rubber. And running square saves costs because we can rotate them and it helps the car be more predictable, but besides those\reasons, is there any deeper meanings that I'm not fully seeing?
Mintyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:19 AM   #1204
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
square setup maintains the car's neutral balance. unless you need huge tires out back, square is preferable IMO.

when i first got my 240 years ago i sold the 18s in favour of 17s think there was less unsprung wight and inertia. however, i realize in hindsight that those thing depend on the COMBINATION of wheel and tire. eg. you may loose mass dropping to 17s but gain mass in the tire to maintain the same od. just something to consider.

i believe a lower profile tire=greater performance too. there's an option/hot version video where they test a Z33 with 17s, 18s and 19s and I remember the 19s were fastest around tsukuba.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #1205
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Found a better way of transporting slicks to the track, much better ride quality to and from the track also.

Front flares finally came in, now I won't have to worry about the slicks rubbing the wheel arc and can lower the front down some more. Just taped in place for now, checking fitment and making doubly sure they are fitted properly before drilling holes.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #1206
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

Prok0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Prok0
Figured I would throw a few pics of our setup.
We acquired an 04 G35 Coupe 6spd with Brembos awhile back and have been slowly tinkering with it and putting on parts that we had around the shop to have a fun weekend grip car.

So far it is..
BC Racing DR True Type Coilovers
SPL Front Compression Rod Bushings
SPL Front Lower Arm Inner Bushings
SPL Front Lower Arm Shock Bushings
ISR Differential Bushings
ISR Subframe Bushings
Tein inner/outter tie rods

Stoptech Slotted rotors front/rear
Hawk HP+ Pads front/rear
ISR Stainless Brake lines front/rear
18x10.5 Enkei RPF1 on all 4 corners
Maxxis RC1 275's on all 4 corners.

ISR Resonated Test Pipes
ISR Y-Pipe
ISR Single GT exhaust
Tuned by RS-Enthalpy

Bride seat rail
Recaro Pole Position
Nardi Deep Corn

All in all we have been pretty impressed with how the car has handled, were going to work with the guys at BC to get a bit more grip out of the car now that we pulled some weight out of it and added a bit more power, as well as install some prototype ISR front upper camber arms to be able to play with the alignment more.

After a few track days the 280k mile vlsd finally gave up the ghost so we should be putting a KAAZ 1.5 way Super Q diff in it shortly and getting back out on track

Old 12-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #1207
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Subscribed!
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #1208
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
How do you find the HP+ pads in combination with those DOT-R class RC-1 tires? Too little pad or just enough?

I had HP+ pads with cheap UHP tires, and it was too aggressive of a pad for those tires, they would lock up very easily. I felt that moving up to a stickier EXP class tire (RS3, RE71R etc.) would be the perfect combination of pad and tire.

I also know a lot of time attack guys in my area that are using the DTC pads with EXP class tires. I would think that is too much pad for those tires, but they all seem to like the combo. Perhaps they use them for the increased fade resistance.

Would DTC pads, or anything more aggressive, be a better pairing with your DOT-R tires?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #1209
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Depends on horsepower, speed, and weight. I ran HP+ with some Dunlop StarSpecs....

HP+ were definitely not good enough for the StarSpecs and 300ZX iron calipers and Alu in the rear. I moved to Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 rears. Was a great setup with vents....

So its really hard to say. I was running Infineon, Laguna, and Thunderhill which all have pretty long straigtaways.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #1210
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

Prok0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enough
The HP+ pads seem to work pretty well, admittedly we kind of threw together the car with stuff we had in stock or used from other cars (The wheels were left over, tires were actually used scrubs, other parts were prototypes sent to test, seat was out of my track car, etc.)

Really it was a super low budget thing just to go out and have some fun in a road race setting. The brakes seem great, I wasnt really trying to push super hard as we had just started shaking the car down, but all in all they seemed pretty well matched. I could stand on the brakes pretty hard and it really didnt lock (Once or twice I got a little bit of lock up, then again tires didnt have a ton of heat at that point), and in the same vain I didnt feel like I had to stand on the brakes a ton to stop the car and I wasnt worried about not having enough brake.

Also its a 275 up front so that is a decent amount of tire to transfer the energy to the ground so Im sure that helps, if it was a 235 or 45 I may not be as confident in braking.

The track we were at was pretty short as well, its a local small road course where top speed down the longest straight is about 100mph, so you can take that into consideration too.

Were going to try to refine it a bit in spare time over the next few months and start to hit a few other courses and see how she does, maybe do a GTA event or two in it once we get some more power and a bit more grip in it and some more seat time.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #1211
blackrms13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
blackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackrms13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prok0 View Post
Figured I would throw a few pics of our setup.
We acquired an 04 G35 Coupe 6spd with Brembos awhile back and have been slowly tinkering with it and putting on parts that we had around the shop to have a fun weekend grip car.

So far it is..
BC Racing DR True Type Coilovers
SPL Front Compression Rod Bushings
SPL Front Lower Arm Inner Bushings
SPL Front Lower Arm Shock Bushings
ISR Differential Bushings
ISR Subframe Bushings
Tein inner/outter tie rods

Stoptech Slotted rotors front/rear
Hawk HP+ Pads front/rear
ISR Stainless Brake lines front/rear
18x10.5 Enkei RPF1 on all 4 corners
Maxxis RC1 275's on all 4 corners.

ISR Resonated Test Pipes
ISR Y-Pipe
ISR Single GT exhaust
Tuned by RS-Enthalpy

Bride seat rail
Recaro Pole Position
Nardi Deep Corn

All in all we have been pretty impressed with how the car has handled, were going to work with the guys at BC to get a bit more grip out of the car now that we pulled some weight out of it and added a bit more power, as well as install some prototype ISR front upper camber arms to be able to play with the alignment more.

After a few track days the 280k mile vlsd finally gave up the ghost so we should be putting a KAAZ 1.5 way Super Q diff in it shortly and getting back out on track

Sounds like a fun car Andrew!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:49 AM   #1212
abigailcarson73

abigailcarson73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Impressive set-up of the wires. Great structure as well. Have fun riding it.
abigailcarson73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #1213
BigKriss
Leaky Injector

BigKriss is making a name for him/her selfBigKriss is making a name for him/her self
BigKriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #1214
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

We were able to get our KAAZ 1.5 Way Super Q installed, and also a set of prototype longtube headers we got in from ISR and made it out to the track to see how it felt.

Temps were incredibly low (27 degrees in the morning, warming up to about 46 mid day) so getting any sort of heat in the tires took quite awhile, but the diff performed awesome.

It was very predictable and gave us a lot better control compared to the warn out old VLSD.

Were planning on refining the throttle body and intake manifold setup to try to dig out a bit more power out, and then maybe upgrade the cams to some Tomei units and hit the dyno and track again
Old 06-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #1215
gills
Zilvia Junkie

gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
May as well introduce myself. I road race an S14 VQ swapped race car and run it in American Endurance Racing (AER) under the team name Core4 Motorsports. Here are some pictures from the Watkins Glen International 4/2017 and New Jersey Motorsports Park, Thunderbolt Circuit 5/2017:

Biggest changes from the Watkins event to New Jersey were upgrading to Wilwood Forged Superlite Radial Mount 6 piston calipers (FSL6R) up front from lug mount 4 piston Superlites (FSL4) and running Porterfield ST43 pads on front and rear.

Braking was noticeably better and confidence inspiring and there was zero pad taper after 18 hours of racing.

Pad taper you say? Yes, serious pad taper. Some of you that run Wilwood FSL4's with uniform piston sizing may know what I'm talking about. Here are the FSL4's with Hawk DTC-60 pads after ~12 hours of racing at Watkins Glen:

Here are ST43 pads in the FSL6R after 9 hours of racing at New Jersey:

Needless to say, there's a huge difference.

If anyone is running the Defsport (from Nissanroadracing.com) front 2 piece rotor setup right now and is interested in upgrading to the 6 piston radial mount forged superlites (FSL6R), PM me. I will be making these into a kit in the near future for people to upgrade from FSL4's and will be offering a full front kit. Here is how it looks:

gills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #1216
Will.
Leaky Injector

Will. is an unknown quantity at this point
My S15 at a trackday in January

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #1217
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
C-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
couple photos of my R34 GTR from trackway 2 weeks ago at the ridge motorsport park. Shelton WA.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #1218
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
anyone know what's up with NissanRoadRacing? I've been trying to register as a user for months. emailed them and got nothing back.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #1219
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Yeah, the site is broken.

I'm working behind the scenes to try to work and get it fixed. I'm not the owner so it's a little bit challenging.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #1220
rv_zenki
Leaky Injector

rv_zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Heres my S14 that I track and autocross. Nothing crazy, just a bolt on KA, Stance coils, SPL arms, Spec clutch, Z32 brakes with Carbotech XP10s, 17x9 Konig Hypergrams with 255/40 Nexen N'Fera Sur4, and a few other odds and ends. Tons of fun and relatively cheap to run! Felt good to kill this Alfa 4c as well

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
rv_zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #1221
midship_runabout

midship_runabout is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Found a better way of transporting slicks to the track, much better ride quality to and from the track also.

YES!! Great idea. Now if only I had a roof on my car...
midship_runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #1222
gills
Zilvia Junkie

gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Got some new suspension on board from Motion Control Suspension. Amazing customer service and product. Highly recommended.

A quick lap comparo video I made from my first test/track day with them. Initial settings to final...almost a full second gained:

https://youtu.be/vw3EJLwz_6c
Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #1223
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Swift springs are the best. How much travel are you getting? Also those are 3 way I think... whew very nice!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #1224
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Swift springs are the best. How much travel are you getting? Also those are 3 way I think... whew very nice!
They are most definitely 2-way. This is a sponsorship with MCS and I'm working directly with them. Would be sad if I didn't know what I actually had, especially at this price point!

Swift does make great springs. As for travel, I know they tout that they have the largest amount of stroke, but at high spring rates you don't use much. Let's do some basic math for shits and giggles since I haven't really done it yet...

Front springs are 500 lbs/in. Static weight on front corners with 200lbs driver is about 750lbs, so they are compressed 1.5" at rest. I have no helper/tender springs so there's no damper travel wasted to activate the spring.

My max cornering g with 180+ treadwear street tires is about 1.4-1.5g.

Stock S14 front track width is ~58" so I'm at least 1" wider due to wheel size/offset and tire. Call it 59"

CG height I still have to measure but let's assume 16".

Lateral load transfer = [(g)(total front weight)(CG Height)]/(Track Width) = 610lbs. 750lbs + 610lbs = 1360lbs total on outside front corner in a 1.5g turn. 1360lbs/500 lbs/in = 2.72 in of total spring travel, or 2.72-1.5 = 1.22 in of dynamic spring travel.

There's obviously way more spring travel available than that. That's also not accounting for the effect of the anti-roll bar and the "lifting support" provided by the gas pressure in the external reservoirs.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #1225
slider2828
Post Whore!

With that math, your total car weight with driver is ~2900 lbs ish?

I am sure a CF or FRP hood is very helpful? I see your signature on NRR as well so this is cool that you are posting here.

The reason I ask is how would you account for travel during braking and curb hopping? Thanks for you insights as I am rebuilding my car.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #1226
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
With that math, your total car weight with driver is ~2900 lbs ish?

I am sure a CF or FRP hood is very helpful? I see your signature on NRR as well so this is cool that you are posting here.

The reason I ask is how would you account for travel during braking and curb hopping? Thanks for you insights as I am rebuilding my car.

Yea, I post there more, but it's fairly quiet over there. The site owner is non-existent and there are some administrative problems, which doesn't help.

The hood is actually something I'll be addressing soon. Firstly, to get it to mount flush because I have it spaced to clear the VQ intake plenum and it looks horrible like that (to my eyes). And, because the OE steel hood is damn heavy! So, yea, ideally I'd like to do some sheet metal fab for a hood bulge then use it to make a mold for a FRP or CF hood. A great spot to lose some weight.

Here's my car with my 215lbs ass in it and a 1/4 tank of gas when I corner balanced it last month:

As for braking...you may already know all this, but I'll regurgitate it anyway...the amount of load transfer, either laterally or longitudinally, is only a function of your CG height, accelerations, weight, and your wheelbase (longitudinal) or track width (lateral). So regardless of your spring, damper, suspension kinematics (roll centers, anti-dive, anti-squat...), etc, quantity of load will be transferred as dictated by those parameters. How it's manifested into body roll, dive, squat, is controlled by everything else mentioned that we love futzing around with.

So with braking, it's much less and shared across the front springs. For instance, I can only generate a max of -1.1g with the tires I'm limited to run.

Longitudinal Load Transfer = (g)*[(weight * CG height)/(wheelbase)] = 482lbs. 482lbs/2 = 241lbs. 241lbs/500 lbs/in = ~0.5 in of total front spring compression. Again, I still need to actually determine my CG height so that's a guesstimate.

Curbs, bumps....I have 143mm (5.63 in) of total shock travel on my MCS's before hitting internal bump stops. At rest I'm using up ~1.5"...5.63-1.5 = 4.13 in of bump stroke. Even hitting a proper curb at apex or track out, I hope I don't use that much stroke! 500 lbs/in * 4 in = 2000lbs!

It's a different story using standard lowering springs, etc. You most certainly will require bump stops and you will hit them on bumps at the track and on the street.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #1227
Will.
Leaky Injector

Old 09-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #1228
Will.
Leaky Injector

Couple more from my track day

Old 09-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #1229
slider2828
Post Whore!

Man must be so awesome to drive at the track there in Australia!.... You going to WTAC? take some pics if you do... Jealous you have a S15....
Old 09-04-2017, 04:27 AM   #1230
BigKriss
Leaky Injector

BigKriss is making a name for him/her selfBigKriss is making a name for him/her self
Kyalami South Africa, RB25 Neo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4423 (Small).JPG (89.1 KB, 26 views)
BigKriss is offline   Reply With Quote