Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
RRRRRRR Wagon (Not a Nissan)

Well. . . as time goes we all grow up, or at least most of us do.

I still have my other Nissans, the V8 S14 and the SR20DET S13, but having a family now and car seats for babies usually means no more fun daily drivers.

I was slowly losing my soul driving my Accord V6, 4 door. . . I've long driven Hondas for daily drivers just for reliability, but the older I get the more plain old cars just don't do it for me.

Insert the Volvo, and I'm sure a lot of you stopped reading right there and picard.jpg'd. But hear me out. I needed space for my two son (18 months and 3 months), and our two lab mix pups

After helping a co-worker wrench on his Volvo XC70 that we've done quite a bit, the hunt began. Now, my co workers XC70 isn't your typical soccer mom station wagon. We've installed a 3" downpipe, cat back exhaust, Hilton Stage 2 Tune, Geograpplers, and a few other things I've already forgotten about. Oh, and it's Plastidipped lol, because he's not a soccer mom.

I started looking for an XC70, and instead found a 2006, Volvo V70R, one of 823 made in 2006. These are 5 cylinder, 2.5 liter, turbocharged, 15 psi, twin intercooled, all wheel drive, hot rods (if you can call a Volvo a hot rod). Stock they are rated 300hp and 295 lb-ft, not too bad for hauling the family around!

4 piston Brembos on all four corners

Another difference between the V70R and the base V70 is that the V70R comes with 3 different suspension modes. The stock shocks are electro-magnetic, like many performance and exotics, and you would be surprised to know that a car this big, and this heavy can take most cloverleafs just a fast as my V8 S14 that has coilovers and thick ass sway bars.

The car was originally purchased by a dentist in SC, the majority of the maintenance on it was done by one of two Volvo dealerships. After purchasing it I wasn't able to find records of the timing belt, so that was the first thing I knocked out. The car had 133k on it when I bought it, the service interval is 99k-105k :/

After a switch to synthetic oil, a transmission flush, front diff flush, Haldex flush, and a rear diff flush I was rewarded with this, when these cars average 18-25 mpg.

Being a car guy, I can't just leave well enough alone. The car handles better than any daily driver I've ever owned, but there's still room for improvement, right? Caught a set of front and rear sways on sale, had to grab them. I ended up paying less for the pair than the front sales for by itself! The upgraded front sway bar is beefy and a mutha!

3 way adjustable

The sway bars have stiffened up the car more than I would've believed. That coupled with the electromagnetic shocks sets this car apart.

Recently while on a business trip for work I was in Cleveland, Ohio for two weeks. While driving around town the car suddenly lost power. Great. I'm 500 miles from home with no tools. Turned out to be a crappy plastic intercooler pipe that developed a tear. The hot pipe goes directly over the engine, which isn't the best design, but is the most direct route to the intercooler. I contacted Volvo, they wanted $260 for a plastic fucking pipe. Fuck that. A company called Do88 makes aftermarket parts for these cars, but they are a bit pricey. I was able to get a stainless over engine pipe by itself shipped to my hotel for less than the stock plastic piece. Of course I can't leave it alone either. . . I stopped by Summit Racing while in Ohio and picked up some Reflect-a-Gold.

There are debates on the Volvo forum whether I'm helping or hurting here. Most seem to believe that this is insulation. However, this material is 3 mil thick and doesn't hold heat in, it actually reflects 80% of radiant heat. With it being directly over the engine it was kind of a no brainer for me.

Had some left over, did the air box too, just to piss off the Volvo forum.

And because 300hp wasn't enough, it's time for a 3" downpipe

Updates to follow!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
_tony_s13

Trader Rating: (0)
_tony_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
very cool! excited to see more updates
_tony_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Interesting build pimp. Good luck.

Are there any specific goals or are you simply building as you see fit?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I love seeing builds like this, it makes me feel like I'm on driftworks haha
Old 05-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
STEEZxIT
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
STEEZxIT is on the path to ruinSTEEZxIT is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
the practicality of this type of build is exciting.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
sick platform
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
M/T ? What's the oil capacity? When I had a Volvo a while ago, it took like 7~8 litres.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Nice, finding a compromise to the needs of the family as well as your needs of not driving a boring piece of shit. I don't have kids yet, but I'm already thinking of building some kind of cool family car as well.

I'm curious to see how much power you pick up with the exhaust and other bolt-ons.

Subbed
spooled240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #9
DYNOBLUEPEARL

Trader Rating: (0)
DYNOBLUEPEARL is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i dig this something different thumbs up to you sir
DYNOBLUEPEARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 AM   #10
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Quail
Awesome, looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Volvo wagons have been a firm favourite of mine since the 850 estates were prolific in BTCC. Would still love an 850R Sport Wagon!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:28 AM   #11
Felipe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Love threads like this.

<~~~~ wagon owner
Late Night Crew #1
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #12
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
Interesting build pimp. Good luck.

Are there any specific goals or are you simply building as you see fit?
Main goals are to address known issues these cars have, the over engine pipe was one of those. Other goals would be to improve handling, reliability, and of course increase POWA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
M/T ? What's the oil capacity? When I had a Volvo a while ago, it took like 7~8 litres.
Sadly it's a auto, my daily commute has lots city traffic, stop lights, etc. A manual wouldn't been nice, but then again they didn't make as many of these in manual anyway I think the oil capacity is 5.2 liters? I can't remember right off.

Funny, I didn't think this car would get this kind of positive reaction here!

So, as I've mentioned, one of the things that sets this car apart is the electromagnetic suspension. Well. . . it is known to be a bit finicky, actually more of a bitch. Since I bought the car this system hasn't worked, it's throwing a code for the passenger front shock, and after replacing the shock the system still gives the same code. Not cool. I assumed the 4C Module was going bad so I pulled it to check it out before shelling out $500+ for a new one, or chancing a used one and getting stuck with it.

I went through the circuit board with a firm bristle wire brush (made for cleaning electronics) and some contact cleaner spray. Even after 4-5 cleanings there is still minimal surface corrosion.

What do ya know. . . no more "Chassis Setting Service Required" message. . .

YAS, YAS, YAS! My God this car is so much more fun in turns now with working 4C!

No messages or lights!

I've been working with a good friend who is a welder/ fabricator to make a much needed, affordable, 3" stainless downpipe. It's sad that people are paying $600-$1,200 for a downpipe! So my friend Josh made a jig based on a stock downpipe and is making this now.

I like it when a plan comes together!

We test fit on a friends S60R (sedan version of my car)

You'll notice everything is just tacked together here, just to check fitment before final welding it up.

LIKE A GLOVE!

We took it back off the car to final weld since everything fits, it's sad. . . I can't wait to throw this thing back on the car and blast around
Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Awesome car. I had an 850 Turbo Wagon, and it was one of my favorite daily drivers. Loved the sound of the turbo 5 Cyl. Post an exhaust vid once you get that downpipe installed.

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees_Garage View Post
Awesome car. I had an 850 Turbo Wagon, and it was one of my favorite daily drivers. Loved the sound of the turbo 5 Cyl. Post an exhaust vid once you get that downpipe installed.
Thanks man, I love the look of the 850, so boxy and classic! We'll be working on an exhaust video before and after the downpipe install, also working on some dyno action before and after

Got these pics today from my friend Briggs, since the downpipe fit he's moved on to finish welding it, much excite!

The only thing left to do now is add the oxygen sensor bungs and bolt it on!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Nice progress
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #16
fallen_51

fallen_51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man im loving this !! Cant wait for exhaust vids
Old 05-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Really cool, I didn't know these things had that kinda power and got that kinda mpg holy shit.
I have a sweet spot for the few wagons that I like and this one is now on that list.
Keep the updates comin
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Really cool, I didn't know these things had that kinda power and got that kinda mpg holy shit.
I have a sweet spot for the few wagons that I like and this one is now on that list.
Keep the updates comin
I should maybe clarify a bit. . . that MPG was after I flushed all the fluids, did the timing belt, and babied it on my 45 minute highway commute with the A/C off lol, that fuel economy is FAR from typical lol

Despite it being AWD you can still get a little too, lets say. . . carefree in turns lol, but only when you do these two things:

Last edited by onehundredoctane; 05-14-2016 at 07:50 PM..
Old 05-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #19
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Got the finished product back from my friend Briggs, with it all welded up it's finally ready install!

Without a lift to work on, space is limited, but it's on and sounds great

After we finish up with the downpipe group buy we've organized, we plan to build a jig for the exhaust so we can begin making affordable cat back exhausts as well! Possibly oval pipe stainless, straight pipe
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

So, as of late, my co-workers XC70, deemed the War Wagon, has been burning coolant. His car has also been misfiring on cylinder 3 at start up, until it has been running for a few minutes, then it levels out. I figure it's either split a cylinder liner (common on these cars once your turn boost up), or has some other issue, maybe head gasket related. The 2.4 and 2.5 liter blocks are prone to these and similar issues, but the 2.3 liter blocks having thicker cylinder liners don't have these issues, and are proven up to 30 psi and 400+HP all day long!

So with that in mind, I helped him source a 2.3 for $500 to begin building.

Beginning tear down, as you can see the engine even came with the turbo! You can't even get a used turbo for these for $500 usually! Even better, the turbo has ZERO, and I mean, ZERO shaft play. Score!

With the block torn down, the goodies have started to arrive! H beams and Wiseco pistons will ensure this thing is damn near bullet proof!

Aluminum slugs, very excite!

Now it's time to drop all of this off at the machine shop.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #21
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Wow. . . Can't believe I haven't updated this thread in a while. . .

So, I sold my V70R a while back due to the amount of driving I was doing for work. Going through 3 tanks of gas a week was killing me and a low production car like that (IMO) shouldn't be subjected to daily driving conditions that I regularly face.

Oddly enough, I sold the car to my friend Briggs who had begun making downpipes for these cars, and to date has build about 40 downpipes for customers, shipped them all over the world (Russie, Belgium, etc), and is planning to expand his product line for these cars now!

Recently he made a pie cut over engine pipe (intercooler hot side for us Nissan enthusiasts), not sure if he plans to make a jig and pump these out at volume, but the possibility is there.

As you can see, fitment is on point! Love Briggs work here!

So... you might be asking yourself, "If you sold the car, why are you bumping an old thread for a car you no longer own?"

Well, I'm back in the market for one. After driving a beater hybrid for work, so that I can maximize my mileage reimbursement, I'm noticing that I'm slowly losing my soul as a car guy. Amid being a dad, a husband and having a stressful job in healthcare, I'm slowly realizing I miss what I'm at a my core, a gearhead.

So look for some updates soon, I'm trying to find a manual trans V70R, but they are literally unicorns.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #22
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Came across this one a few days ago locally. Crackhead price, though
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...371243283.html
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #23
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
fuck!!! that is some kick ass welding!!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #24
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

But for real, join me on the dark side and grab an e91
crash n' burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #25
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n' burn View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

But for real, join me on the dark side and grab an e91

Man you know I'm not down with de Germans lol
Old 11-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #26
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I've had my S60R for about a little over a year now and definitely would be interested in his OTE pipe and exhaust. There are a few Facebook groups like VOMAR that you should check out as many Rs are listed for sale. I've done a review for a forum member of swedespeed that ended up buying a local VR so maybe I can help.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #27
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

For those still keeping up, the War Wagon build that belongs to my co-worker is still going strong! After completing the break in period for the new 2.3 liter build we found that boost won't go over 5-7 psi, which is less than stellar. I found the wastegate actuator rod was out of adjustment, with that corrected it's not party city

We have plans to do an upgrade and rebuild on a 16T so we can push 22-24 psi without flutter at higher boost. The thing looks like the Swedish Tank it is, love this thing! Still working on the details of the lift kit, but for now going fast will have to make do :P