Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
So what made you choose CA/SR/RB/LS/JZ/ETC.

I'm curious as to the reasons why people chose the power plants they did. Torque? Rev ability? JDM Factor?

Post the engine you have and why you chose it. Bonus points if you post why you chose it vs another engine.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
I started out with the stock ka24de. Was a fun engine for the time being until I wanted more power, and the ka was dumping fuel.

I looked through threads upon threads about the sr,rb and jz. I decided against the jz since at the time I didn't want a Toyota engine in my Nissan. However, when I get another chassis, a jz is probably going to be the transplant.

So sr or rb? Well I decided to go rb, rb25det to be exact. I didn't want an sr and be like everyone else( there's a back story to this I might post up in my build thread) Yes it was quite a bit more, about $5,000 for the complete swap(new radiator,intake manifold,fmic, odds n ends)

Now I stroked the rb with rb26 internals and gonna push for 500hp to the wheels
Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I'll play. L33 + Precision 7675, I figured L33T or "leet" could be my engine code. My mildy worked engine should rev to 7k, will not be a slouch out of boost, the GTO T56 behind it isn't made of glass, and the weight penalty is negligible. Parts are easy to find and reasonable, and the motor is stupid easy to work on. Did I mention power? Win, win, win, win, more win? Most of the hardware is really tiny though haha...

I really want a bare bones SChassis with a rotary next, which is obviously not sensible by any means.

Motors I chose not to swap and basic reasons behind them

1/2JZ or RB25/26: iron blocks are heavy, I DO love I6's though, swaps can get pricey if you upgrade things and some parts aren't easy to source for some engines

SR/CA: too small displacement, not enough tq, and weak trans unless you spend a bunch more money, I bailed on mine before I finished it

KA: i honestly love how KA-t cars feel, but they certainly benefit from some internal work, and still have the same glass trans behind them

Last edited by NISR20MO; 02-25-2015 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Fixin my words
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
KA-T
Because I like AC
And easily swapping a motor if it blows

EDIT: chose over sr because
More displacement
Iron block
Better head design IMO (where's my rocker?)
Availability of motors
Factory harness
Plug and play AC
More power with same set up
Faster spool
Pop a motor can swap overnight and be running the next day

Fire has been lit
Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
KA-T
Because I like AC
Good points! I will not be enjoying A/C.
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
And cheap parts from all the chumps that don't know what they're doing, Pop their KA, say the KA sucks, and sell all their stuff
Old 02-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
SR, because it sounds cooler than a KA, looks cooler than a KA, and fits nicer than an RB..
Old 02-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Ka cause I had no idea what I was getting into originally. After a while of reading and researching, I went with the Rb25 due to the fact I fell in love with the R33/34's and this was the closest I was going to ever experience a skyline.

Since then, I have taken a huge pause on everything, due to life hitting me in the balls.

But as of 2 weeks ago, I went ahead and purchased the Tomei 2.8 stroker from Ricky @ Raw. As soon as it arrives and they have room for my rb, I will send it out to them for a complete top-to-bottom build. Ideal hp range 650-700.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
240sxfan6882
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
240sxfan6882 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I went KA-T in 2005. An SR20 was all the rave at the time, but I loved the feel of my KA and just wished it had more power - so I did something about it.

Initially I went with a cheap turbo kit which was never installed due to possible reliability issues, bought good stuff and then I figured the engine would need to be built for the additional power...

Eventually I ended up spending A TON more than what an SR swap would of cost me, but my engine has been reliable as hell even it's my DD.

Just for the sake if having a KA-T over an SR that everyone was going crazy for made me stay KA.

To this day I still love it, plus... I don't have an SR like "everyone else"
Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Super_OK_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Super_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA24DE- When i bought the car in 2006 the bottom end was OEM rebuilt, and my great uncle (mechanic for 60 years of his life) told me if it isnt broke, dont fix it. When i noticed my coolant dissapearing i bought upgrade head parts (cams/valves/springs/head gasket/head studs/3 angle valve job/decked the head). I know it takes a little extra work to make some power (reliably) on a KA but that goes along with the (as I do 98% of the work on my car) experience of a project.

When i did the rebuild and had the engine out, I pondered a different engine but remembered what my uncle told me and just refreshed the gaskets, seals, tucked the harness, and simplified the bay a bit.. Is it ok to attach a pic or is this a discussion only thread? im sure everyone saw my build so far. i really only built the car/engine to travel around and have a nice car to call my own that I built.
Super_OK_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
+1 to KAT-PWR.

I was KA-T but now I'm in the process of 1JZ VVTI swap.
More potential
Greater support
New experience (never swapped before)
Sounds better
Fun torque curve (VVTI!)
Cool factor

KA-T did me well but I had a budget setup I didn't want to build up. I chose 1JZ over RB because of the crank collar issue and to be different from a good friend of mine who's RB25. I chose 1JZ over 2JZ/RB26 because I'm not looking for big power, just near OEM power levels (BPU as the Toyota guys call it). And I like turbo power too much for LS. Turbo V8 would be cool but I'm not looking to spend that much just yet..
Old 02-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
KA-T
Because I like AC

More displacement
Iron block
Availability of motors
Factory harness
Plug and play AC
Faster spool

Fire has been lit
Pretty much sums up why I initially went KA-T back in 06. My A/C to this day blows cold as ice.

I was contemplating doing the s14 kouki SR swap, but back then were an upwards of 4-5k for a measly 200hp.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
EJ8 944
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
EJ8 944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I bought an RB26 before I got my car, I just thought it would be a really cool swap to have in a light RWD car. Plus, the "godzilla" Nissan motor, into the best available USDM Nissan chassis (S14), is a winning combination for me.

Shortly after acquiring the S14, the KA shit the bed, and I've been running a SR20 motor since then, I enjoy it 10 fold over my KA. I'll be on this motor till I'm ready for the RB.

RB > all, at least for me. It's such a stout motor, the sound, the look, everything, sweet engine in my opinion.
EJ8 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #14
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

TougeSR20Kid has a little shameless behavior in the past
Rb20det because it...
- Revs pretty damn high
- Sounds a lot better than Ka and Sr (but really tho they sound effin legit)
- I've always wanted an Rb powered S13 / wanted to play with something new since I've always had SR and KA powered cars
- Has torque which my old Sr didn't have
- All things considered it was pretty cheap
Namaste mother f**ker
TougeSR20Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Since i have a semi built motor in car, still running. And another built on a stand i'm not leaving the KA.
People ask me what i would do if i could start again, or what i would replace my motor with in the future.... the only answer is a JZ
Old 02-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #16
Zenki Kat

Zenki Kat is an unknown quantity at this point
KA because California sucks. lol
Old 02-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #17
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
I've done an SRs for simplicity's sake.

Preferred swap will always be a JZ variant though. Endless power potential, excellent durability if kept within its limits, THE BEST SOUNDING ENGINE EVER PERIOD.

JZ BIATCH
Old 02-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #18
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Interesting so far. You people with KA-T's and cold a/c make me jealous lol. My a/c barlely works and it's stock.

And yes pics are fine.

Quote:
KA-T
Because I like AC

More displacement
Iron block
Availability of motors
Factory harness
Plug and play AC
Faster spool

Fire has been lit
Is your engine built or stock? Edit I saw you said semi built. Rods and Pistons?
Ga shoutout.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #19
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Interesting so far. You people with KA-T's and cold a/c make me jealous lol. My a/c barlely works and it's stock.

And yes pics are fine.

Is your engine built or stock? Edit I saw you said semi built. Rods and Pistons?
Ga shoutout.
Low comp forged pistons, stock rods, all arp hardware, cams
Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #20
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
F22C, cuz vtec
Old 02-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #21
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Low comp forged pistons, stock rods, all arp hardware, cams
stock rods at 400whp?!
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #22
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
KA didnt have the power I wanted. Sr20 was fun, but I dont have access to a good tuner to tune an engine to a reliable level for the power levels I wanted.

Swapped in a 1UZ for about 3grand, which is about what it costs for a SR20 swapped in. I was able to learn a lot while doing it and at 250hp/260tq I don't have to worry about upgrading turbos and what not. Helps that if I do want to add boost, the motors have been run at mid 500hp with just headstuds and a headgasket.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #23
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Notchtop SR because I got my whole swap, fmic to vlsd for $1200 with 160psi on all 4 lol
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #24
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Sr lacked torque and i enjoyed my ka over it. Then started makin some money and decided on the ls1. Reliability, parts access, easy power. Just an overall badass engine
Only thing else i would consider at this point for a swap is a 1/2jz
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #25
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I went CA18 because I'd had already gone the turbo KA and SR route in previous cars and wanted to play with something different. Its a fun little motor for what it is, feels different then the KA/SR did (in a good way) and is period correct for my two-tone. It looks the best of any motor in the 240 engine bay as well IMHO.

I'm not sure if I would do another one though, and my taste is starting to shy away from turbocharged cars. If I build another 240 it is likely going to be LS.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #26
iRONDONkey
Zilvia Junkie

iRONDONkey is on a distinguished road
2jz cuz its arguably the GOAT 6 cylinder engine
iRONDONkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #27
g_mac530
Zilvia Junkie

g_mac530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to g_mac530
I bought my car with an SR in it, and it hasn't given me any problems since ownership. I contemplated swapping in a JZ or and RB, but right now I don't have the budget to do that.
So i'm going to stay SR since it seems like everyone is now getting rid of them for other swaps. Its a stock SR but I'm currently trying to hunt down an old greddy mid mount manifold and turbo for it.
g_mac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #28
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Started with a stock car. The KA wasn't supported as well as the SR at the time, so I purchased an S14 SR and swapped that in. BPU's, a couple of years and 20k+ plus miles the trans decided it had enough. I wanted more power, built the SR and threw top mount goodies on it. 360whp at 13psi was fun until the motor swallowed a throttle plate screw.

Time went by and I decided to part most of the SR stuff in prep for an RB. Then a not to common VET swapped popped up. After discussions with the guy selling it, I purchased it and 4yrs later I have a 2L making 485whp on 93oct.

Reasons for not going with other motors, I really like the SR. It's a stout little motor and handles lots of abuse. The VE head changes the game drastically and have always liked having a smaller motor that beats up on the larger, almost always cocky V8 owners. Besides, who doesn't like an underdog.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #29
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
stock rods at 400whp?!
Yeah it's not uncommon 342tq 450wtq is where you should stop
Old 02-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #30
Y0SH
Zilvia Junkie

Y0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the rough
I went with the 1JZ non VVTi in my cressida. I went with the 1 J because it's cheeper than a 2JZ, it's OBD1, makes decent power with a stock setup, and when the bottom end quits on me, you can find a lot of replacement parts at the parts stores if you know what your looking for, and I can find an NA 2J bottom end and do a 1.5JZ for less than 500. The only other engine I had considered for this chassis was a 1UZ VVTi because of its light weight and sound, but the aftermarket is too limited and overpriced for the power I am hoping to have.

Even if I still had a S chassis, I would still go the JZ rout. I was in the process of swapping an RB20 in my S14, but there wasn't much of an aftermarket for them at the time ('09), so I parted it out. But as far as RBs go, I think they are too over priced just to have a Skyline engine , (both for the engine its self and the aftermarket), especially the 26's. And to even build and RB with the same displacement equivalent to a 2J is big money. Only if I was loaded or building a "demo" vehicle for a shop would I consider an RB and it would have to be a 30. Honestly I think I would prefer an SR over an RB because of the vast cheap aftermarket for a fun little engine with lots of potential. Basically my opinion on engines for S chassis is Turbo>NA, JZ>SR>LS>RB>CA.
Y0SH is offline   Reply With Quote