Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #31
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
lol Norm.

I know THAT dip.
Part of the reason I started this thread! the notorious DIPS! in LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
What's up Steve, I used to have Flex on my s13. Spring rates on the flex are 7/7 for the s13. I have kei office xr now. Spring rates are 9/7. Even though kei office is no more, they have very very good dampening.

For example, there is a huge dip on the bellflower off ramp from the 405 north. The off ramp sweeps 90 degrees and the dip is where the bridge part of the ramp connects to the hill.

When I took this off ramp at 60mph on the flex, the car became really unsettled to the point where I almost lost control of the car. Scary as shit. When I took the same off ramp with the kei office the car wasn't even phased.

Spring rates don't matter, it's all about the dampening quality. Dampening quality gives the car composure over road uncertainties. Even though the spring rates are 9/7 on the kei office, the car rides like stock. What's even more amazing is high speed stability. When I punch it on the freeway the faster I go the car feels even more stable over road bumps.

If you plan to keep the car for awhile, go with some high end coilovers like zeal or dg-5. The enjoyment factor for your car will increase 10 fold exponentially.

Hope this helps.
I took that bump yesterday with my KTS and i did not lose control at all, but it just shatter my tail bone, but complete control was retained ha-ha. I think I am getting a better picture now.

What exact Zeal unit do you guys recommend?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #32
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Function Xs are nice.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #33
mademedoit
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
Yeah I am probably just going to go with the Tein Flex,

but please continue to add more input, also any videos of the EDFC or Tein Flex equipt cars, and any more details on modifying the KTS are welcome
All the tein edfc does is change the setings at a press of the button where as the tanabe can be set up to automaticaly adjust at speed. So for instance if you live somewhere with fucked up side streets but you have a nice new section of freeway to drive on you could have it set up to be very soft until you get on the freeway and go over 60. I have the non-adjustabe sustec-pro oc and they are very comfortable driving over uneven road/potholes (sometimes even more than the stock) yet they remain flat on hard cornering almost as flat as my old crx hf with lowering springs ment for a integra. The only thing wrong with the sustec pro's are when you drive over small tar strips on the road the suspension does'nt seam to move at all but the rest of the time they ride better than anyother sports car I've rode in. The shock body is also stamped kyb same the the stock one so oem quality made in japan for you japanese car. Kw's probably beter quality but I'll get those when I get my porsche gt3 rs.... when ever that happens.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #34
Osmosis
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Osmosis is making a name for him/her selfOsmosis is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buddy Club RSD are THE most comfortable coils I've ever driven on. On full soft they soak up anything you can throw at them. On full hard, you better wear a kidney belt. People who ride in my car always wanna know what they are because it's so damn silky.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #35
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
I have heard from other s14 owners with flex coilovers that they are a little too soft. Great for comfortable daily driving but when it comes to more aggressive driving, you may seek more. I know the s13 spring rates are higher than the flex s14 6/5 so they may be pretty nice coilovers for what you are looking for.

I have tein super drift coilovers on my s14 and they are 10/8. I had problems with the ride being way to stiff and bouncy but after I put subframe spacers in and adjusted my camber, the car rides totally different. I feel they are great for daily while still very stout for autocross or road racing.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #36
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Straight from the mouth of a competent suspension revalver/builder here in NorCal.
"all the current low to middle end Japanese coilovers sold here in the US have a rebound dampening imbalance. The adjustability is extremely dependent upon the Compression stack and it's responsiveness to adjustability regardless of number of clicks"....This was in regards to a set of Teins he was revalving. He disassembled my GP6's and said they were nearly identical in internal valving to the Teins.

I would try softening the dampening; all 4 of your coils, more so in the rear.

Another thing....spring rate is VERY important, especially on the street. I've been on the Stances for about a year now and found the harder springs not so great for the street. I switched to the softer and the ride was improved. I was thinking that I would put the softest pair of springs I had on the fronts and order another even softer set for the rears again to get rid of the mild jouncy-ness the car currently has....

Cheers;
CH
Old 01-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #37
nismo tuned s14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
nismo tuned s14 is making a name for him/her selfnismo tuned s14 is making a name for him/her selfnismo tuned s14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
I would encourage you to ride in a car with zeal, dg-5, or other high end coilovers. I guarantee you will feel different about the flex afterwards.
I'm sure I would. However, I got a great deal for the coilovers that I wanted. Also, no one I know is in to cars enough to spend money on high-end coilovers.

I would love to have the opportunity, though!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #38
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
Aragosta would do exactly what you want
Old 01-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #39
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
I fidled with the dampening again today and got it to go softer, and the ride is actually much better than yesterday, also more grip when that 500 Brake HP starts to come up around 7 K rpms.

I think I am going to hold out for some track time in March with some NT01s and see what's up from there.

Don't get me wrong the KTS have been the best coilovers for the money hands down so far - that I have driven on. And as you know I test drive a lot of different car's with different suspension at my weekend job/hobby

I was thinking of I had some progressive springs in 7 FR and 5 RR it would probably ride prefect. This is the spring rate I had with my Ground Control/AGX setup and the car was a dream to drive, but would just not get low enough.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #40
heychris
Zilvia Addict

heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
I was thinking those spring rates (7f/5r) would be pretty great for aggressive street use in my S14, but a bit soft for the track.

A straight rate spring is better for controlling weight shift and body roll, especially at the track. You can probably order just springs from KTS, eibach or swift to get the perfect combo.

You might also try a revalve of the dampener by a local motorcycle suspension tuner to smooth out or improve rebound response. (as essentially, coilovers are motorcycle shocks)

The only problem I've had with the Stance coilovers is there is not enough downwards stroke length to keep the rear wheels from picking up during aggressive cornering on my favorite touge. It could be related to the aforementioned rebound harshness/slowness to respond as it gets mildly better upon softening the rear. Probably going with a separate rebound AND compression adjustable set of coilovers would completely fix the problem...but those are bucks...

Good luck!
CH
Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #41
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Thanks, I have an S13 FYI.

7 and 5 is perfect for grip on street tires.

8 and 6 might just be the ticket with NT01s tho

! oh and**** I took that dip again Norm, with the dampening down two more clicks with my KTS tonight just to check and it was smooth as silk

So I might just have to play with my setup a bit more.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #42
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Sweet!!!
Glad I could help. I don't know the weight difference on the cars. I think the 13 is lighter, so you in theory can get away with softer springs. You might invest in a temp gun as well as the sticky meats. Measure inner, middle and outer temps and record. This can let you know if you need to go to stiffer springs and give clues to car set up (camber, pressures etc) for optimum grip for your driving style or setup preference. In general you should see tire temps FALL with stiffer springs (as long as no sliding or excessive wheelspin is present)

Current car thinking is to get away with the softest springs you can, suit dampening to match and add sway bar if needed...

I think someone on page one suggested softer springs with bars to match so kudos to him.

Cheers;
CH
Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #43
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Steve. I have had everything from apexi, Hks, megan, tein, stance, and for the street hands down get the flex.

Still stiff enough for light track days, and super plush on the .
Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #44
dynamicck
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just got the Greddy Type R double adjustable. Damn double adjustable is hard to dial in. On the softest setting has a nice ride.

The dip that I hate is 5 south near Jamboree.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
240trainee
Post Whore!

240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
KW automotive North America Inc. Suspension -- Coilovers -- Shocks -- Springs

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #46
silvia13t14
Zilvia Member

silvia13t14 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to silvia13t14
tanabe sustec pro five's or seven with a teas controller is the way 2 go i live in ny i should know
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #47
heychris
Zilvia Addict

I agree with 240Trainee. KW's are THE way to go at a reasonable price, especially given their resevoir style.....I'm having trouble with the no camber adjustment though.

Ultimate would be a really nice set of remote resevoir Ohlins (from Europe not Japan) or Motons, but those prices are just ridiculous.
CH
Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #48
MomentumGT
Zilvia.net Advertiser

MomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to behold
Wow still struggling with the suspension setup. Hope you find something to your liking soon.

I'll recommend the Tein MonoFlex as that is what we use on our race car with a 12/9 spring combo. IIRC the coilovers come with a considerably lower spring rate from Tein. The valving on the Mono's are quite nice as it does give the driver great feed back and soaks up track bumps, especially banging the zebra zones.

I've come from using quite a few different brands from top shelf JDM coils to the low end China rebrands. For the most part the JDM coils and most of the rebrand's are way over valved making for a jarring ride street or track. It would feel like the car would hit the bump then hit me on the way up bringing my dome too close to the roof, and I'm short. I felt the KTS's were the best bang for the buck with performance included. Coming from KTS to the Mono's was a night and day difference as far as suspension feed back and absorbing road irregularities and for the most part not unsettling the car while cornering as well. The Flex's would be a decent compramise for the Mono's but I personally feel no where near as good on the track even with the change in spring rates.

My 2 cents.

-Jon

momentumgt.com - "building blocks of speed"
Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #49
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Thanks Jon, appreciate the input,

I wish i was really "Struggling" with the setup, but I have not honestly had a chance to hit it flat out on a decent course, legally yet with the KTS and R-compounds.

This has been a super busy/transition year (08) for me, but (09) looks promising for a lot more seat time.

I think the KTS are the best for the buck, time to just sort out some bushings and brake pad issues and get the roll bar in and then rock and roll...
Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #50
xs240
BANNED

xs240 is an unknown quantity at this point
lol you said get the roll cage in and then rock and roll lol, i hope you dont roll or rock man :P Good luck
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #51
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Koopa Troopa
I don't recommend the Tein Flex, too soft. I hate soft dampers. However with soft dampers you can run a lower quality tire and get away with it. Cusco Zero 1 or 2's are great dampers, Gab Revolution Stroke, Zeal Function, Apex*i N1, etc. You gotta pay to play. If I had it my way and was running NT01's I'd give Tein a call and get some Super Taikyu dampers made for my useage.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #52
eye-5

eye-5 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the Tein Flex on my Acura RSX Type S and the were terrible. They were extremely bouncy and the adjustment knob adjusts both rebound and bump at the same time FTL (that is generally the sign of a bad shock). They were way overdampened and felt bad on the street and the track. They were basicly designed to go low and not blow. Not really for performance.

I replaced them with Buddy Club RSDs and it was a night and day difference on the street and the track. The ride was amazing even though the rear spring rates were at 16k!

My S14 came with Tein Basics, they don't react fast enough for the track. I have bad body roll. They do feel decently comfortable on the street though. I am in the process of buying some Buddy Club RSD's for the S14 and I'll let you know. I can't find many reviews for them on the S chassis but they were amazing on my RSX so why not give them a try. Considering they do real R&D I trust the company.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #53
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i'm feeling the same way as the OP,
only I have 10/8 tanabe 7's w/ edfc wannabe device, full soft all around.
i don't even like the way it autoX's, as the tail comes out without warning.
its no fun to drive as it becomes unpredictable when pushed.
street driving is acceptable as long is it isn't the shitty roads typical of los angeles.
body roll is almost non-existent, but i don't have too much grip either.

7/5 rates is what i'm shooting for as well,
i'm more inclined to go with KW Var.3 w/ 7/5.
if body roll still a concern, id rather dial it out with swaybars & endlinks.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #54
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa View Post
I don't recommend the Tein Flex, too soft. I hate soft dampers. However with soft dampers you can run a lower quality tire and get away with it. Cusco Zero 1 or 2's are great dampers, Gab Revolution Stroke, Zeal Function, Apex*i N1, etc. You gotta pay to play. If I had it my way and was running NT01's I'd give Tein a call and get some Super Taikyu dampers made for my useage.

I had gab revo stroke, shit rode amazing, but i switched em out in favor for some JIC FLT-A1s for more adjustability
Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #55
helikz
Leaky Injector

helikz has a little shameless behavior in the past
yeah, flexes with an edfc are pretty much best bang for the buck on streetable coils.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #56
SuicidnS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
SuicidnS13 is on the path to ruinSuicidnS13 is on the path to ruinSuicidnS13 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I just went with Stances in 7k/5k from IntensePowers recommendation. I will definately put up a review of that setup once the car is up and running (about 3 weeks) According to IntensePower this setup rides amazing even on super stretched tires on 19's (there shop s14)
Old 03-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #57
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
I hate Tein Flex. I rode on them in my bros R32.

He hated them like a month after he got em' too. So brutal.

Soft spring rates did not equate to better ride. It meant a much bouncier/unsettled feeling. It was really weird...almost scary sometimes.

And forget tracking them. That shit was body roll city.

The only time they felt somewhat decent, was at full hard... and they were still SUPER BOUNCY. My GP sports and his new Silk Roads are way better.

I'm willing to bet Zeals will be even better.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #58
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240

Has anybody figured out a way to make these sit low? I read about how great these were a while back but they did not sit low enough.

I currently have KTS and am looking to upgrade soon.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #59
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
C-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I had flex in my R32 GTS-t before and I love it!! It serves me good for DD and couple of auto x/ street drift once awhile. I then went to Tein Super drift, I think their dampening to too harsh for everyday. I don't get enough rebound so once the shocks compress, it doesn't rebound fast enough. They are not really design for everyday use imo. I am going to get a set of MONOflex or Aragosta Standard soon. I've got a ride from both suspensions and they are superb and make the flex model feels like shit. Ride quality is harsh but the car is not bumpy. No supsension noise (WHICH I ABSOLUTELY HATE), car rides like a EURO!! but still maintain its stiffness during corner will minimum body roll!!! If you have a bigger budget, I would get those.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #60
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
As others mentioned KW would be great. Aragosta, aka AST here in the USA provide a 1 way, 2 way or 3 way dampening. The ride quality is awesome it doesn't always feel like you're bashing into bumps. For the most part I'd stay away from JDM branded coilovers, as a lot of have not-so-great valving and tend to be way over dampened (TEIN HA, APexi N1-pro, ZEAL) or way underdampened (ie K-sport).