Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #3031
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
swiftmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heres a few pics of my Geomasters fitted. I have more lock than the pics show.

In the pics you can see that the outer rose joint is at its limit. need to bend the lca with heat

Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #3032
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Gotta say I saw something funny the other day while Ryan Kado was out at the track testing. He was doing some slow turns in the pits, and he has so much angle that the car will pivot on the inside rear tire. It is pretty amazing.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #3033
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Gotta say I saw something funny the other day while Ryan Kado was out at the track testing. He was doing some slow turns in the pits, and he has so much angle that the car will pivot on the inside rear tire. It is pretty amazing.
So the turning radius is basically the wheel base?! Do the knuckles make the car a little twitchy on the freeway?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #3034
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Kado's car doesn't go on the freeway brooo. haha
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:04 AM   #3035
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Yeah Kado's car was just at my shop, we looked over everything while I fixed a few things, and he did the alignment/suspension settings again. The front geometry is nuts. Still trying to figure out the best coordination of angle and grip, but the turning radius is VERY close to the wheelbase.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #3036
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
You will gain more from lightening unsprung weight on your car.

What wheels are you running? Light wheels along with aluminum bodied coilovers would help quite a bit.
sway bars are not a part of unsprung weight
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #3037
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
I never said they were?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #3038
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
lol what

the posts above you were all talking about lighter sway bars and that was your response
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #3039
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Technically half of the sway bars arms, and all of the sway bar end link weight ARE unsprung weight.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #3040
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
lol what

the posts above you were all talking about lighter sway bars and that was your response
I was simply talking about how one should focus on more important things than swaybar weight.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #3041
nieko
Post Whore!

nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Are there any negatives to making your front LCA's long as hell?

I'm trying to push my wheel the fuck out so I can use all my angle and stop hitting the sway bar and what not.

I know it will give me a bunch of camber, but I can always Dial it out with the upper mount.

Sorry if this was a completely retarded post. -_____-
Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #3042
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post

I'm trying to push my wheel the fuck out so I can use all my angle and stop hitting the sway bar and what not.

I know it will give me a bunch of camber, but I can always Dial it out with the upper mount.

Having an increased front track will also change the handling dynamic (understeer/oversteer) a little as well, but that goes more in depth than I have knowledge of, especially with the specifics of the s-chassis.

Other than having to redo your alignment, I can't think of any big disadvantages. The C's garage guys have their LCA's extended 25mm, and seem to like it.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 08-22-2011 at 09:54 AM..
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #3043
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

swiftmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
It will increase your scrub radius a bit if you don't dial out the additional camber with the camber plate.

Having an increased front track will also change the handling dynamic (understeer/oversteer) a little as well, but that goes more in depth than I have knowledge of, especially with the specifics of the s-chassis.

Other than having to redo your alignment, I can't think of any big disadvantages. The C's garage guys have their LCA's extended 25mm, and seem to like it.
I personally don't think scrub radius will change much, if at all. scrub rad is distance from. centre of contact patch to the point where kpi hits the floor

roll centre will change as well as swing axle length (instantaneous centre).

I wouldn't worry though. my lower arms are 35mm longer than stock s13
Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #3044
nieko
Post Whore!

That's what I wanted to hear gentlemen....

I'm pretty sure I will now be able to get retarded amounts of angle now.

I'm excited.

Check out this video, there are a few clips of some of the angle I was already getting

ASBXI Part 3 of 3 on Vimeo

1:58 5:30 8:52
Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #3045
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

It's almost all good. Increased track width WITHOUT increasing the scrub radius. Increased track width means you will gain traction on that end of the car (this is not chassis specific). That's a particularly good thing on the front of an s-chassis though because it will allow you to increase the wheel rate, which will allow you to keep the camber where you want it (something our front strut design naturally fights). Because the struts have almost no camber gain these cars need a ton of static negative camber in front (~3 degrees). So even that shouldn't be a problem with adjustable camber plates.

Really the only negatives I can see is a possible loss of caster if you don't have enough adjustment in your tension rods, and hitting the fender if you are running some real meat on stock fenders.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #3046
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftmini View Post
I personally don't think scrub radius will change much, if at all. scrub rad is distance from. centre of contact patch to the point where kpi hits the floor

roll centre will change as well as swing axle length (instantaneous centre).

I wouldn't worry though. my lower arms are 35mm longer than stock s13
You are correct sir, I was thinking about it the wrong way and it doesn't change scrub radius. I've edited my post to say such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
It's almost all good. Increased track width WITHOUT increasing the scrub radius. Increased track width means you will gain traction on that end of the car (this is not chassis specific). That's a particularly good thing on the front of an s-chassis though because it will allow you to increase the wheel rate, which will allow you to keep the camber where you want it (something our front strut design naturally fights). Because the struts have almost no camber gain these cars need a ton of static negative camber in front (~3 degrees). So even that shouldn't be a problem with adjustable camber plates.

Really the only negatives I can see is a possible loss of caster if you don't have enough adjustment in your tension rods, and hitting the fender if you are running some real meat on stock fenders.
The good thing is that the tension rods can stay in the same position if you extend the lower arm by cutting outside the mounting points and adding more LCA in there.

Thank you for the track width information. I was reading a forum with a bunch of engineers arguing about what it did and it was very general, so I didn't want to spout off information when I didn't know how it related to the s-chassis. It makes sense though considering the track width is basically equal front and rear on an S13.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #3047
nieko
Post Whore!

Coool. Now I just hope my tie rod setup reaches -_______-

We will find out tonight. Maybe I'll even take pictures
Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #3048
Patrick Bowering
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Patrick Bowering is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

probably wont my s13 with s14 arms and pbm knuckles wouldnt reach with s14 tierods i have georges spacers on both sides.
Patrick Bowering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #3049
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bowering View Post
probably wont my s13 with s14 arms and pbm knuckles wouldnt reach with s14 tierods i have georges spacers on both sides.
BTW, this doesn't make sense. Sure your tie rods aren't Z33? What tie rod ends are you running?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #3050
nieko
Post Whore!

I have these gigantic driftworks offset spacers that push the tie rod out quiiiiiiite a bit.

and SPL outters and that adds quite a bit of length too.

Stuff didn't come in today, so we'll seeeeeeeeeeee.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #3051
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Hello gentlemen, a few questions if I may.
My plan was to upgrade to S14 rod ends and buy some nifty angle-increasing inner tie rods. I wanted the Max ones, but they are out of stock and they do not know when they will have new ones, so I researched more, and started looking into these offset spacers:

My main question is, which would be more beneficial; the offset & angle spacers with new OEM S14 inners and outers, or angle-increasing inner tie rods with new S14 outers?

What companies sell the offset spacers? So far I know of Driftworks and Era1. I would like to compare and find ones with the largest spacer for über angle.
One final thing, do the steering rack boots fit over the spacers? I would hope so.

Thank you for any input.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #3052
Patrick Bowering
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Patrick Bowering is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
mine are s14 inner and outer and with driftworks spacers you should be fine.
Patrick Bowering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #3053
nieko
Post Whore!

You need to read through this thread more Matej.

"My main question is, which would be more beneficial; the offset & angle spacers with new OEM S14 inners and outers, or angle-increasing inner tie rods with new S14 outers?

If you get the offset spacers, they have the little inner spacer built in. You do not need the offset spacers unless you get a buttload of angle and your steering is going over center.

Inner tie rods don't increase angle unless they have a built-in spacer on the rack side. But you can just get that spacer from PSM or whatever for dirt cheap and throw it on your tie rods.

And yes... if you do end up getting the offset spacers, the boots fit over.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #3054
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Quote:
You need to read through this thread more Matej.
Sorry, searched around after posting that only to end up back in this thread and be embarrassed to see you were discussing them just a few pages back.

One last thing; how come the offset spacers are not symmetrical, while tie rods and all the other non-offset spacers are? Or will it be self-explanatory once I look at the rack?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #3055
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Once you look at the rack, you'll get it.

BTW, PSM is going to come out with an offset spacer soon. If I were you, I would wait for them, but that is just my opinion.

Also, you only need S14 outers if you are using S14/PSM/Z32/Z33 inners, as stock S13 inners are smaller and can only use S13 outers.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #3056
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Ryans car is truely amazing, did you all see this???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJhNPyY2Vqc&
Quote:

Its all good
The FLCAs you ordered can widen the track 5 inches, its THAT gangster.
Quote:

Sorry we sold out before you got your FLCA/TENROD combo, one more week for fresh stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
PSM is going to come out with an offset spacer soon.
thats true.

Developed for the 350Z angle kit ... but can be used on s-chassis too.

I want to let you guys know about whats new...

Parts Shop MAX PRO steering knuckle modification:

$400 plus return shipping
Availability - NOW

This is the most aggressive knuckle available today with up to 62 degrees of angle, 45mm roll center correction and the lowest possible ackerman.

caution! - this is only for real men who relentlessly pursue the art of throwing cars at 90+ degrees of drift angle
wussies need not apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQsRiqNRRJ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExsO6QJHOps
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!

Last edited by DC Dan MAX USA; 08-24-2011 at 10:39 PM..
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #3057
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Why would you use a Class 8.8 bolt in that location? That thing holds your steering together with a huge bending load on it.

Since 99.99999% of the people in the world don't understand the distinction, a Class 8.8 bolt is equal to an SAE Grade 5 bolt.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #3058
Matej
Post Whore!

The size of the spacer on those is cool, but the hardware store bolt looks off, unless the final product will feature a different one. Is there enough room to freely remove/install the tie rod and rack bolt? It seems that they may be cramped a bit close together.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #3059
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Def, for the prototype parts mock up (pictured), we just took an off the shelf bolt and re-threaded it as a matter of convenience in our test fitting session for the Z parts. Thanks for paying attention to detail.
We will use grade 10.9 in production just like we have been using in Ryan Kado's formula D car.

The production bolt will also have plating - prototype photo bolt does not.

Please also notice the details that make this latest prototype rack spacer a really nice piece, like the radius that distributes the load from the sleeve to the main body, and the lip on the perimeter for retaining a dust boot.

Matej, of course the tie rod fits next to the bolt!

How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #3060
Matej
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
Matej, of course the tie rod fits next to the bolt! wow
Ouch, haha. Just noticed that yours is offset more than the Driftworks one, thus not requiring a recessed bolt. What is the projected price estimate?