Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Exclamation Project RB (How To)

Sup Zilvian's
It seems the RB swap is not very well documented, as well as parts needed to do the swap. I think im going pretty in depth so I figured I'd share my build.

For those of you wanting to do this Swap, To do it correctly with reliability is not a cheap swap.

The Engine is pretty much complete right now minus sending the turbo off to get ported and fitted with new turbine wheels.

I plan on buying a Long block and rebuilding the bottom end, The reason I didnt with this one....Im impatient

Just waiting on Yury to finish the new Wiring harnesses so i can drop it in.

I got TONS of pics and lots documentation but i will just post sections at a time so it not just one huge pic thread, Unless thats what ya'll want.

Parts Sourced from :
Enjuku Racing
Phase 2 motortrend
FR Sport
240sx Motoring
The Nismo Shop
and the Biggest Help of All espeically on all OEM parts
Russell @ NissanParts.cc
^ Awesome Store GREAT Prices
Russell can get you pretty much ANY OEM part,
Thanks Russell!!

So on to the Build.

Heres my S14 that the RB will be going into, Im NOT going for 800hp, this is pretty much gonna be a Family car/DD so 350whp will be good enough.

Picked up an RB25 last Oct and began the inspection and basic rebuild

I Bought the Engine from JDM Online.com
DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!! See Business thread --> http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html

(whats that on the right???? a 20B!!!)

The Wife seems pretty excited

So put the wife to work breaking it down

Head looks very clean

Got the head pulled cylinder walls look good.

Cleaned the tops of the piston

Pulled the oil pan to check for Gold, luckily no gold!!

I want to say the turbo is blown, but im hoping the engine was laid on it side causing the oil to seep through the seals

But I have decided to send the turbo off to get ported and fitted with new metal turbine wheels

Ahhh The perfect Weekend

New OEM Oil Pump installed

Bought a Full RB Gasket Rebuild kit

Head Milled, New OEM H/G, New Valve Seals, ARP Head Studs Installed

As she sat, waiting on back ordered parts Ordered an N1 Water Pump, seems to be much controversy between the N1 and The OEM pump.
Ive hears the N1 is not good for DD'n......Guess I'll find out.

I normally dont like to cheap out on Parts but damn 1K for an Intake manifold..... Sorry Greddy
Picked up an ISIS Manifold

Everything bolted up pretty easily.

comparison between stock and the ISIS Greddy Style

Well i finally had some time off so I decided to Port Match the intake manifold.

The ports weren't that bad, this was probably the worst one

Then Did the TB

Bolted up the IM

Bolted up easy had to bend a line on the Oil cooler but that was it.

Also cleaned up the Pumps and alt.

1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit

Last edited by Sileighty_85; 11-21-2010 at 10:03 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
kikcaffine
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
kikcaffine is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So I have a few questions being a fellow 25 owner:
How did you do the port matching? Just color the head with a marker and line the IM up to it?
Who did you send the turbo off to to change the wheels out? How many pounds will you safely be able to run with metal compressor wheels vs those ceramic ones? Will spool time be greatly effected? Will you also port the exhaust manifold or do you see a reason to?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
second_chanceS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
second_chanceS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Your write up is gonna help me alot when i get my RB. Thank you very much sir. lol
Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
So I have a few questions being a fellow 25 owner:
How did you do the port matching? Just color the head with a marker and line the IM up to it?
Who did you send the turbo off to to change the wheels out? How many pounds will you safely be able to run with metal compressor wheels vs those ceramic ones? Will spool time be greatly effected? Will you also port the exhaust manifold or do you see a reason to?
Yeah I marked around the ports matched up the IM gasket and etched the Gaskets ports and dremeled it out. The head did not needed to be ported seeing that the gaskets were a perfect match to the ports.

Turbo is going to be sent off to an Aussie shop called Hyper Gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperGear
Also the Max boost which the high flow can handle depending on the type of turbine housing that you want to send in or what we can find here. Generally standard RB25det turbine housing can handle about 16psi making about 240rwkws while the RB25detNEO turbine housings can handle about 18psi making around 260rwkws.
If you need we can provide the PU service which runs of a customized .82 turbine housing that is good for 20psi and 280rwkws .
The oil feeding line needs to have minimum of 3mm inner diameter including all the fittings on the way. We can supply the oil feeding line for $80AUD additional.
I will not port the Exhaust either seeing that this is just kinda a DD with some spirited Driving. But like said before the Stock ports are already match though. I will port match the turbo flanges though.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
brizanden
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
brizanden is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brizanden
cool stuff. so you gonna do step by steps of hooking up the p/s lines and water lines and electrical stuff too? if so im gonna straight cheat and look at your thread when im puttin mine in lol.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
I LUV MY S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
I LUV MY S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
there you go this is what i wanted to see here ha..

so you decided to stick with the stock piston rings and main bearings?

-Jorge
Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

FINALLY!!!! After 2 months i had finally got my N1 Water pump! Along with my Nismo thermostat but the wrong dipstick..

Now i can finally put the front section back to gether as well

I got the Water Pump and thermo installed

Well i wanted to order some new valve cover grommets since the old ones are tired out and mushed, but i was unable to find if anyone has found a USDM equivalent one, so i set out to find one. I searched lowes/home depot, all the auto parts stores....but no luck

So i went to the junk yard to look at all the different Nissan/Toyota's to find a similar one I went to three junk yards scoping out all the engines.
At the last junk yard i came across a J30 with the Intake Manifold removed and found my answer
The 93 J30 VG30's Intake Cam Valve cover uses the exact same bolt/grommets. (im sure the other VG30's use the same, but id like to confirm it before i say so)

I had always suspected the VG30 would have them i was just unable to see them due to the I/M.

I searched the web for 3 hours trying to confirm the ones im seeing on the Web are the ones I need.
Ive never seen a NEW OEM grommet so i wasnt sure which was correct.

Sure i could have ordered them from The Nismo Shop but they want 3.00EA for them, but when you need 20 of them thats alot of money for grommets.

So the ones i found on the internet they sold for .95EA WAAYY Cheaper.

But being skeptical on the ones i found since ive never seen a New one I order them hoping for the best.

But i just got them in today and they are perfect, they even have the metal washer on top

Old one on the left new one on the right of course

So you guys with RB's if you want to replace the V/C grommets with new ones here are the ones I ordered
Ishino Valve Cover Seal Washer Direct OE replacement

Also got some new grommets for the Front timing cover. They are the same as the VG30.

I also Got a New OEM Oil pan ^_^

Got in my IC Core Got it unbelievably cheap.

It was brand new just damaged in shipment to Enjuku.

Im bought a regular ISIS Core with McKinney IC Piping for the Greddy Style IM

Cleaned it up a little bit, but what do you expect with just a hammer, screwdriver and some pliers

Finally got my McKinney Intercooler Piping in.

Finally!
After two months I finally got my hands on a Idler pully.
I ended up ordering 2 just in case

Installed

The wife finishing it up

Done

So despite reading posts from what ppl have said about XS Power, as You know i purchased the Manifold to give them a chance.........Big Mistake
DO NOT BUY SHIT FROM XS-POWER THEY ARE WORTHLESS PIECES OF SHIT HERE ARE PICS SHOWING WHY.
NO R&D GO INTO MAKING THESE MANIFOLDS

I had to dremel out about every hole except one..
I will not be using this POS manifold I will be using the stock one.

The top #2 and #5 cylinder bolt hits the manifold

Clearance is ridicules

Also the oil return hose dosent exactly reach so i either need to bend the tube or get a longer hose

I sent them an Email and pics about the issues and here is the second manifold they sent me

i got this nastyness inside on the runners 4-6...sigh this is what i get for cheaping out ;o;

1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizanden View Post
cool stuff. so you gonna do step by steps of hooking up the p/s lines and water lines and electrical stuff too? if so im gonna straight cheat and look at your thread when im puttin mine in lol.
Ill try too with the P/S Lines and coolant lines, the IM coolant hoses and stuff are prett straight forward, I just used the Greddy IM instructions, as far as the wire harness goes
Im ordering the new Premade Wiring Specialties harness Since the wiring harness that came with my Set was all Fucked up (See Business thread Reveiw of JDM Online.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LUV MY S13 View Post
there you go this is what i wanted to see here ha..

so you decided to stick with the stock piston rings and main bearings?

haha yeah, Yeah this block will have the stock bottom end since im impatient and dont have a trust worthy machine shop around here.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp

Last edited by Sileighty_85; 07-13-2010 at 08:17 AM..
Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
DJDANGER24
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
DJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJDANGER24 Send a message via MSN to DJDANGER24 Send a message via Yahoo to DJDANGER24
Nice build you have going here. Oh, i was curious and checked on the valve cover grommets since mine needed replacing as well. They are up to $1.95 a piece. I guess they got a lot of hits and raised the price a dollar already
Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
hostyS 14

Trader Rating: (0)
hostyS 14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lots of this isn't completely necessary that's why it's super expensive..

Eitherway! this thing is going to be rock solid! Awesome build thread man!

Mckinney engine mounts/driveshaft?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Andddd continuing

Got the Koyo and FAL Pusher Fans and DIF Controller in ^_^

EDIT: DIF controller D&C do not seem to hold up well with FAL's due to the high Amp draw, I already burned mine up after 5 months,
I would however recommend the DIF PWM Fan Controller which is reated at 60Amps and much more efficient and maintain's a more steady temp rather than fluctuating temps like the D&C

DIF PWM on the left

Enjuku actually sent me pullers rather than Pushers, but I called FAL and they sent me some pusher blades for free. ^_^

I was planing on waiting to do it when i swap in the RB but the old one was cracking and rotting away.

Ewwwwww.....

Put the wife to work again on this one.

Installed

Good Job Honey!

Then ended up cleanin up the tranny a little bit.

I need a clutch that could hold some TQ but soft enough for my Wife to drive it, so i decided on the
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch

I had planned on using the the stock flywheel but it was pretty haggard when i pulled the clutch off of it.

I cleaned it up had it machined. (may not look it but its alot cleaner) The FW was pitted pretty bad so they had to machine it a good bit which is one reason I decided to get a new flywheel.

But not only was the condition of the FW the reason I decide to get another one but I remembered on my R33 the Revs were seemed kinda slow on the Rev and Recovery
Then I You tubed a vid of one that sold me on it.
YouTube - ER34 RB25DET Blipping with Lightweight Flywheel

The Combined with an Exedy Stage 1 Kit= Sex

1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp

Last edited by Sileighty_85; 04-28-2011 at 12:29 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDANGER24 View Post
Nice build you have going here. Oh, i was curious and checked on the valve cover grommets since mine needed replacing as well. They are up to $1.95 a piece. I guess they got a lot of hits and raised the price a dollar already
Damn, I guess you can shop around at other shops or Autozone?

I know Raw Brokerage sells sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostyS 14 View Post
Lots of this isn't completely necessary that's why it's super expensive..

Eitherway! this thing is going to be rock solid! Awesome build thread man!

Mckinney engine mounts/driveshaft?
I dont think so, Minus the I/M and the flywheel clutch combo everything is necessary, But thats just me i guess, I figure why i got it out I might as well as do it all now to make life easier

Thanks Though ^_^

I ordered a Aluminum DSS Driveshaft from Phase2,

With the SYKO Conversion Kit ^_^

BRAND NEW R33 Crossmember from Nissanparts.cc
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
I LUV MY S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
I LUV MY S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
hmm and what about all the gaskets and seals? stock too? head ga!sket looks good, but i personally would have replaced it. Cometic Street Pro FTMFW!

-Jorge
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
hostyS 14

hostyS 14 is an unknown quantity at this point
siiick! Sorry to whore your thread, can I ask the benefits of the Syko kit over the mckinney kit?

Keep up the solid money spendin!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LUV MY S13 View Post
hmm and what about all the gaskets and seals? stock too? head ga!sket looks good, but i personally would have replaced it. Cometic Street Pro FTMFW!
All replaced with the Stock RB gasket Kit.

Stock RB H/G have been known to hold up to 500whp, with me only running 350ish, I'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostyS 14 View Post
siiick! Sorry to whore your thread, can I ask the benefits of the Syko kit over the mckinney kit?

Keep up the solid money spendin!
Its cool, supposedly the R33 Crossmember helps stiffen up the Chassis and The Syko kit looks cleaner and come with a Elbow that clears the steering shaft
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp

Last edited by Sileighty_85; 07-13-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #16
sleeper108
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
sleeper108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
skyo mounts!!

Im happy to finally see someone doing their swap with these. I have been looking at all the different kits and was just about sold on theirs, but we will see if that is the same after your review
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #17
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
This build is fucking sick. I hope this build stops allot of the noobs asking the same old questions about the RB swaps.

Thank you sir a good addition to zilvia.

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #18
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Nice looking build, but that's expected from a reputable member like yourself. The fact that you used *mostly* quality parts from well-known brands that I like is also a

Now someone needs to do one of these for an S14 SR swap (into an S14), tired of searching and finding nothing but S13 SR shit. Some of us don't want fuckin' S13 SRs...
Old 07-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #19
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
This is well documented! Good luck with the rest of your build
Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #20
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aa87
Lookin' good chief!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #21
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Great looking build, almost identical to mine when I did my RB25 last year "the right way" (read: expensive). Great job documenting, and big props on getting the wifey involved and takin pics!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #22
nemcho
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
nemcho is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have the same vacuum
Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #23
DJDANGER24
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
DJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJDANGER24 Send a message via MSN to DJDANGER24 Send a message via Yahoo to DJDANGER24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Damn, I guess you can shop around at other shops or Autozone?
I know Raw Brokerage sells sets
Nope, most likely still going with that place since its cheapest so far.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #24
hashi
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
hashi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
man i should be lucky your local, i need to start saving for my swap
Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #25
DonkeyDrift

DonkeyDrift is an unknown quantity at this point
heyyy nice build!!!,....i had the sr20store in gardena swap in my rb25 into my s14 but its not 100% done yet,..still need the last finishing touches when i get back from afghanistan
Old 07-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #26
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Thanks Guys for the comments, I still got alot more pics just have to wait after work to post them.
I will try my best to document the install as well.

I will also be using A/C with the RB So I will be documenting that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Great looking build, almost identical to mine when I did my RB25 last year "the right way" (read: expensive). Great job documenting, and big props on getting the wifey involved and takin pics!
Thanks Jeff, I try to document everything I do especially when I disassemble engines So if it takes a long time to put back together and forget how hoses and lines run I can look back at the pics especially when ppl here need pics ans help.

Yeah, The wife's always been into cars and wanted to learn so what better way than to have her help build an RB haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13bdafocker View Post
This build is fucking sick. I hope this build stops allot of the noobs asking the same old questions about the RB swaps.

Thank you sir a good addition to zilvia.
Yeah I've been noticing a large amount of RB questions popping up lately, So I figured I'd post this up.

Especially since RB swaps are becoming so sought after...
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp

Last edited by Sileighty_85; 07-13-2010 at 10:59 AM..
Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #27
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
eklips3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
wicked build man . Mine is Very Very similar.
I should of documented my build. i could of made the RB20 version of this thread haha. but im too lazy to take pictures.

1992 240sx (RB20. 362whp@16psi)
Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #28
The High & Mighty
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (43)
The High & Mighty will become famous soon enoughThe High & Mighty will become famous soon enoughThe High & Mighty will become famous soon enoughThe High & Mighty will become famous soon enoughThe High & Mighty will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
what a rad build.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #29
c72c
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
c72c is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
lookin good.

where did you get the RB gasket kit? and how much if you don't mind?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #30
GenPac
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
GenPac is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by c72c View Post
lookin good.

where did you get the RB gasket kit? and how much if you don't mind?
Here's a source. Not speaking on the OP's behalf.
Nismoparts.com - Your #1 Source for OEM Parts and Accessories
Closed Thread