Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #7591
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
Andy, just measured the stock ones off my coupe.

S13 outer is 3.88” measured from threaded end to pivot point.

I also have some S14 and 88-94 Maxima outers in my garage. They match up to those quoted numbers. S14 might be 3.69” (3-11/16) but that’s splitting hairs.
Awesome, updated.

So I bought a Wisefab rear kit, and I've been told by several people that they bend easily, which I was very perplexed about, since they don't seem to be giving any of the pro guys issues with wheel to wheel contact and such. I went to look at my knuckles and they've definitely been updated since the pictures on the first post. Pretty obviously strengthening if you compare the two. Nice to know!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #7592
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
So does anyone have some dope in-action shots of all these rad parts on their fine automobiles?
Old 04-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #7593
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
sr vegas 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
How do I get more angle out of my gktech lca? I am currently at 55 degree and if I go any more wheels will rub. I have the longer s14 arms but they are adjusted all the way in do I just lengthen then out? Wheels are 17x8 +35 gktech drop knuckle and gktech super lock lca
sr vegas 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #7594
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This is the roll center, suspension pickup, and steering angle modification thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
So does anyone have some dope in-action shots of all these rad parts on their fine automobiles?
Idk if Vimeo can be embedded, but PBM has a really neat video showing each setting of the adjustable toe curve of their limit break rear knuckle through the suspension travel.
https://vimeo.com/136145062

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #7595
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Idk if Vimeo can be embedded, but PBM has a really neat video showing each setting of the adjustable toe curve of their limit break rear knuckle through the suspension travel.
https://vimeo.com/136145062

very cool! we can also adjust toe in or out with traction arm correct?
Old 04-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #7596
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
very cool! we can also adjust toe in or out with traction arm correct?
Ummmm, you can adjust the toe curve with the traction rod. Without modifying the toe arm mount, it's doubtful you're going to be able to get the car to toe in under compression, but you can certainly get it to toe in less.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #7597
Bink Industries
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Bink Industries is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Never heard of them. Browsed their site, wish that rack centering spacer would fit a stock set up. Pretty neat idea.
I do make them for stock tie rods, they are not up on my website yet. You have to make sure that your tie rods don't have any step machined into them. If they have a step in them or your using those slip on spacers my rack alignment tool will not work properly. Please email me [email protected] and i can get you hooked up with one. I have a few more in stock and another batch that will be finished soon!

They are very simple but makes it a total no brain centering your steering rack to the wheel for max travel in both directions. Any time that you do an alignment slap that thing on there and now the alignment guy (or you) cant mess it up. This is especially helpful when on a digital alignment rack or using smart strings.

Track side if we feel that the toe is off based off driver feedback, you will slap the rack centering tool in and visually look at each wheel to see which side may have moved and attack that side with the adjustment to get the alignment back the specs that it had when it left the shop.

Last edited by Bink Industries; 04-23-2018 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: forgot some info
Bink Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #7598
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
I had the PBM eccentric rack bushings for a while and has issues with the rack slipping left/right when hitting lock.
Wow,
That is quite interesting

Sounds like you need to tighten the saddles up a little bit more. Mine are fine (so I think)..
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #7599
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Moved my rack 45mm forward.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #7600
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
...a lot of load actually goes through the front crossmember. I'm not sure that's providing much rigidity to the chassis now.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #7601
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
...a lot of load actually goes through the front crossmember. I'm not sure that's providing much rigidity to the chassis now.
It is fully boxed. Stitched inside and out. That picture does make it look like there's no vertical rib in the middle, although there is. Not really sure how I'd brace it more really? Needs just a couple more welds as I ran out of wire. The strut towers will also be tied into the firewall (which will be tied to cage) and forward rails with 1.5" DOM. Engine bay is completely stitched. I'd imagine anything lost here would be more than made up for with the tubing and stitching.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #7602
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Given that bending produced by the chassis trying to deflect the strut towers inward, like you get when cornering, is going to be proportional to the width of the cross member cubed - I'd say you took a ton of rigidity and strength out of it. Say the original crossmember was equivalent to a box that's 4" wide, now it looks like it's maybe equivalent to a box that's ~0.25" wide in the center. That means you now have 0.25^3/4^3 = 0.024% the stiffness in bending.

Even if you say all that extra gussetting on the bottom adds to the equivalent of a 0.5" thick box section in bending, you still only have .5^3/4^3 = 0.19% the bending stiffness.

There's a reason the OEM cross member is a large tubular structure. You can't just hack out huge parts of that and say it's good because you put some incomplete fusion MIG tacks on pieces of it.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #7603
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:

There's a reason the OEM cross member is a large tubular structure. You can't just hack out huge parts of that and say it's good because you put some incomplete fusion MIG tacks on pieces of it.
Good to know. I’d still say the rest of the bay work more than makes up for the loss. It’s more like 2” across but yeah. I could tie the steering rack mount “tails” together with something. The wisefab ultimate kit does similar.

Also lol at incomplete fusion. Those heat marks on the underside are weld almost coming out the back of the plate. Full penetration. The only reason the beads are tall is because I circle the weld.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #7604
Def
Post Whore!

I was talking about a BOX section, not the width of one leg of a piece of angle iron, which is pretty much what your crossmember is now. It’s called the second moment area of inertia to bending if you want to look it up.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #7605
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Given that bending produced by the chassis trying to deflect the strut towers inward, like you get when cornering, is going to be proportional to the width of the cross member cubed...
I think you made a mistake here.

I=bh^3
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:23 AM   #7606
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
I’m open to criticism on my rack relocation

Old 05-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #7607
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Installed my rear wisefab kit tonight. Lower control arms are a total PITA. I should have checked fitment before I welded up the gktech kit, I'm sure it would have been a bit easier. Prying and hammering were involved, and the rod ends are close to maxed on their articulation, but it should work.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #7608
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Installed my rear wisefab kit tonight. Lower control arms are a total PITA. I should have checked fitment before I welded up the gktech kit, I'm sure it would have been a bit easier. Prying and hammering were involved, and the rod ends are close to maxed on their articulation, but it should work.

Looks killer man!! I just need to finish moving down my rlca front pickups, and I'll be throwing on my gk tech stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #7609
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Almost done with one pickup, then just need to do driver side. On the driver side I was experimenting with having the stock and dropped location, but decided to go with just the lowered bracket alone.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #7610
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
That wisefab thing looks like a headache to align.

There a race shop which can align that for you or what?
Old 05-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #7611
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Got some neat pics from my first event in the car last Saturday! Finally got to drift on the Driftknuckles.com Unicorn Knuckles and I have to say they drive amazingly. I had steering angle forever and could really focus on just driving the car where I wanted it. If I actually let it lock out all the way I would start crab walking sideways which felt crazy at first.

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #7612
Stein180sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Stein180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
GkTech V3 knuckle update.....the CTS-V brake swap brackets bolt on to the knuckles with a little modification and new haedware. For anyone interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Stein180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #7613
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein180sx View Post
GkTech V3 knuckle update.....the CTS-V brake swap brackets bolt on to the knuckles with a little modification and new haedware. For anyone interested.

I'm actually interested as I have v brakes. Whos conversion kit do you have?

Old 05-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #7614
Stein180sx
Leaky Injector

www.ctsvbrakeswap.com

To note, I have the S13 V3 knuckles.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #7615
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
www.ctsvbrakeswap.com

To note, I have the S13 V3 knuckles.

I have the same kit and v3 grip knuckles. What in all did you have to change out?

Old 05-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #7616
Stein180sx
Leaky Injector

A little more clearancing, and had to use allen head cap screw bolts as the tolerances are really close.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #7617
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
A little more clearancing, and had to use allen head cap screw bolts as the tolerances are really close.

Clearance on what part of the caliper? And where did you get the other hex bolts you needed? I planned on trying Ace hopefully they'll have 12.9

Old 05-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #7618
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
That wisefab thing looks like a headache to align.

There a race shop which can align that for you or what?
Check the signature! I am that race shop haha.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #7619
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
And where did you get the other hex bolts you needed?
Not that I have any experience with this set up at all but, if push comes to shove look into ARP's catalog of hardware. Sure its more expensive than the hardware store, but for instance their 10mm bolts have 12mm heads on them. Can really save tons of headaches.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #7620
Stein180sx
Leaky Injector

I cant quite remember all of the sizes off hand, but i bought the hardware through theboltdepot.com. I'll try and post up thr sizes when I get back to it.