Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
ccruxx

Trader Rating: (0)
ccruxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
89 240sx KA24E will not start

When I purchased this car the MAF had some kind of after market SS tuning box attached to it. Everything ran fine. A little rough, but fine.

The car began to idle weird and die when I was not on the gas. Sometimes just die after starting it up. I instantly questioned this half ass'd wiring rig they did on the MAF. I noticed with the car running I could move the box around and it would effect the idle and even die. I immediately removed it and rewired the MAF to correct position (soldering the wires, not tape and ties). With the MAF unplugged the car would still run in limp mode.

Well a week later the car died while I was driving. Now it will not start at all. I replaced the caps and wires. Getting spark. Removed the fuel line from the fuel filter and turned the key. Getting fuel. You can smell it when removing the plugs. The pipe on the throttle body was plastic and was being held on by duck tape. lol. I bought a new aftermarket aluminum one. Used metal clamps instead of duck tape.

I also cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner.

Any ideas? I'm not a mechanic, but I have tools and multi meter. I want to fix this car my self. I checked the codes on the ecu while in self diagnostic mode. I'm getting 41 air temp sensor (which is unplugged since I have a after market cone air filter) and 12 (MAF). The MAF could be bad, but would that keep it from starting?

I turns over or cranks. Not sure on the correct term, but will not start. Has kind of a blub blub blub blub sound to it.
ccruxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
sidedrifts13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (29)
sidedrifts13 is on the path to ruinsidedrifts13 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sidedrifts13 Send a message via Yahoo to sidedrifts13
Clean you idle air control valve
Old 09-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
ccruxx

After work today I picked up a compression tester from auto zone. Either the compression tester is broke or something is going on. I'm not even getting 30 from any of the spark plug holes. What could be the problems?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
s14SRguy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
s14SRguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
does it look like it has some wear and tear? sometimes those things can be busted gettin used all the time. Take it back and try a different one. Either your not doing it right, or its broken, or your compression is actually as low as 30, which i hate to say, as in which case your engine is quite fucked good sir.
s14SRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
ccruxx

Lmao! Yeah, I'm going to take it back and swap it out tomorrow. Just to make sure its not broken. Is there anything else that could possibly cause this low compression across all cylinders(exhaust, easy stuff, etc..)? Besides the engine being fucked? I'm not even trying to take an engine apart. Ill just buy another one and swap it out. It will be my first engine swap ever.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
AutoZone compression testers suck. I bought a Craftsman one for $60 to ty it out and have not looked back.
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
Vegass13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Vegass13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if you do end up having to swap motors, dont worry its not as difficult as it seems..just time consuming if you do it alone. it took me 4 days total to pull my single cam and get my s13 sr running entirely by myself. and that was my first swap ever.
Vegass13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
l adam l
Zilvia Member

l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccruxx View Post
Lmao! Yeah, I'm going to take it back and swap it out tomorrow. Just to make sure its not broken. Is there anything else that could possibly cause this low compression across all cylinders(exhaust, easy stuff, etc..)? Besides the engine being fucked? I'm not even trying to take an engine apart. Ill just buy another one and swap it out. It will be my first engine swap ever.
did you test it dry? if so try it with a little oil in each cylinder and see if compression goes up.
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
ccruxx

Alright. I got another compression tester. Used a bit of oil same result. Could the exhaust somehow be clogged and causing this? Not sure if it is even possible. Also, how difficult is it to adjust the timing?
Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
J3123MY
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
J3123MY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
gg. if your lucky its the valves. you can test the valves with kerosene by removing the head.
J3123MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #11
ccruxx

Dropping it off with a mechanic on Monday. lol. Thanks for the help everyone. Ill still be updating the post just in-case anyone has this same issue.