Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Shigun
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Shigun is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Coolant loop, single entrance/exit?

So, situation is like so. When doing the setup for my car with an S14A, the heater hose hardlines were modified to simplify the whole setup. In doing so, one of the lines were cut off that would normally have been used for the cold idle valve on the S14A, which requires coolant temperature to control a wax expansion within a plunger.

So, my general question would be if I hook up a simple T fitting and a coolant loop, realistically, how well would that work? I know that it wouldn't be as good of a flow for the coolant, but I would imagine that there would still be some transfer of coolant throughout the loop.
Shigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes eventually the coolant will heat up that wax by doing that but it will take who knows how long
Old 10-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Shigun
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateirving View Post
Yes eventually the coolant will heat up that wax by doing that but it will take who knows how long
Thanks for the response. My biggest issue, right now, is that when starting the car, I *have* to give it some gas for a few seconds to a minute, otherwise it will want to stall out and die. Given that I technically don't have a cold idle valve, because I had to adjust it to an always off scenario, I think this is the reasoning.

On the older SR models, I believe it was controlled completely by the IACV, so that would realistically explain why I have to either have my IACV opened up more than normal to prevent having to hold the gas on startup for a long period of time (though I still have to give it a small tap when actually starting).
Old 10-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The cold air bump has only made it so I have to give it some gas when cranking but never had to touch the gas to idle. It sound more like your IACV adjustment.

What ECU are you using? Tuned?
Old 10-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Shigun
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
The cold air bump has only made it so I have to give it some gas when cranking but never had to touch the gas to idle. It sound more like your IACV adjustment.

What ECU are you using? Tuned?
IACV is adjusted as per the FSM to where I hover around 850RPM. The way the S14A motor works, it has a mechanism attached to the throttle body that keeps the throttle open slightly until the coolant has warmed up enough to allow the throttle to fully close.

If you look at the throttle body on the left in this picture, you can see the mechanism on the bottom left.

And a short description of the FIC from the FSM here

So, at least on the S14A, it has more of a purpose than just giving it some gas when cranking.

As for the ECU, it's stock ECU with an RS Enthalpy tune.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Shigun
Leaky Injector

And adjustment procedure for the FIC that shows the range of temperature it works on between open and closed.